• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixin' up the "Farm Truck"

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
It says 88-97 so it brings up the ever popular question, do they not know what they are doing or is something different? :icon_confused:

I know a guy here in town got them from there (I remember the name now) for his '89, they fit good for him.

I know I need at least one (it made its own drain hole)
Hmmmm. I missed that. I'll have to ask in general discussion if anyone knows the difference. It sure looks like what I've got. I know from looking in the junk yard that at some point they went from being bolted on to the bottom to being riveted on. Mine are only riveted on the top.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm. I missed that. I'll have to ask in general discussion if anyone knows the difference. It sure looks like what I've got. I know from looking in the junk yard that at some point they went from being bolted on to the bottom to being riveted on. Mine are only riveted on the top.
That shouldn't matter, most replacement stuff is bolted rather than riveted since few people have the equipment to do hot rivets.

Mine are all riveted.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
After Friday's excitement, Rog had to fix the damaged 91. So I soldiered on alone.

First up, mounting the exhaust manifold.

That went well until I removed what was left of the heat shield and discovered that my manifold was cracked pretty severely. I needed to run to the junk yard anyway, so a new manifold was added to the "to buy" list.

I figured I could at least get the intake on, so I grabbed the gasket out of the kit and.... it was the wrong one. Because, roadkill. If you don't get that rederence, Google it. You're welcome.

I shouldn't have trusted Amazon when they said the kit fit my 83. The gasket had the later oval ports where mine are all round. After calling around a bit, oreilly's said they could have it by 9AM the next morning. Frustrated, I called it a day.

Sunday morning Rog and I drove over to Speedway Auto Salvage, my go to junk yard. They have a good mix of old and new stuff.

I picked up a tube manifold from a 94 2.3L as well as the fan and some random bolts. Rog picked up a steering wheel to replace the delaminated one in his 91. He has no power steering, so you really have to strong-arm the thing to turn at slow speeds.

On the way back into town, I called oreilly's to see if the intake gasket made it. Surprise! It didn't make the morning truck. They swear it will be in by 2pm though. Great.

Before getting to the house, we stopped at lowes and bought a brass plug to cap off the EGR. I'm not opposed to EGR, I just can't find the info on how to hook it up properly without the computer controls. Back at Roger's, I paint and then mount the manifold. It looks awesome! Except...

Hmm. What are these holes? Some googling and a post to the general discussions section, and I have my answer: air injection ports. One of the 80s more "throw some mud on the wall and see what sticks" ideas for emissions reduction. A tap and some Allen set screws later and they're plugged up. I was finally able to mount my exhaust manifold.

When the oreilly's guy didn't call me by 3pm, I was getting worried. But luckily, my fears were unfounded. The gasket was ready to be picked up. With the intake gasket in hand, we finally started making some progress. The intake, carb, power steering pump, and alternator all flew on.

Since we plugged the EGR at the manifold, it was no longer needed at the carb. I wasn't sure if the spacer was needed for the carb and I didn't have shorter studs to put in, so we decided to flip the spacer over, which effectively blocks the EGR off completely. The vacuum port for the PVC system just comes out of the back now.

We left it there. I was a bit disappointed. We were so close to being ready to put it in! But that would have to wait for another day.

Last edited:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'm afraid the farm truck is not going to see the road again. Well, not all of it anyway. The distributor bearing seized and when I replaced it, the number 3 cylinder sucked in some sort of metal piece that must have got knocked loose by the massive backfire from the dizzy spinning. The cylinder wall and piston are toast.

Between that and the frame rust we discovered, it's just not worth it anymore. So instead, I picked up a bronco ii and will be moving much of the interior, the front clip, and the manual transfer case over. I already stole the manual hubs and wheels and tires off of it.

The rear of the ranger will be transformed into a camping trailer. I'll post a link to the b2 thread in a minute if anyone is interested.

*EDIT*
Here's the link: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171620

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm afraid the farm truck is not going to see the road again. Well, not all of it anyway. The distributor bearing seized and when I replaced it, the number 3 cylinder sucked in some sort of metal piece that must have got knocked loose by the massive backfire from the dizzy spinning. The cylinder wall and piston are toast.

Between that and the frame rust we discovered, it's just not worth it anymore. So instead, I picked up a bronco ii and will be moving much of the interior, the front clip, and the manual transfer case over. I already stole the manual hubs and wheels and tires off of it.

The rear of the ranger will be transformed into a camping trailer. I'll post a link to the b2 thread in a minute if anyone is interested.

*EDIT*
Here's the link: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171620
:bawling:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Save the head off the engine. The '83-'84 2.3 Ranger round port head is the best flowing factory head when max ported. i'd buy it off you as a spare but shipping would be killer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals