• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank clean?

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
We hardly get any kind of "freezing precipitation" here in north Texas but when we do, our whole freaking city is on lock-down. I destroyed my last Ranger in that frozen crap back in '09/'10 when we had a bad ice storm and I spun-out on an overpass which took my 2004 Edge and turned it into a paperweight/scrap pile. They only salt/sand the major roads(only 1 snow plow for the entire county lol), mostly for commercial traffic on the highways and emergency vehicles, but I am sure it is nothing like the northern areas. When I replaced my '95 EX fuel sender(3 times, thanks Airtex, a p.o.s. company), it was a P.I.T.A. to get that damn ring off but I will definitely take my time, I am fairly gentle on plastics. A couple of love taps with a rubber mallet and a plastic chisel(interior upholstery removal tool) will knock it free and the same to snug it in place when it is finished. Will post progress pics in a few hours.

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much done with this project... only need a new filler hose and to reconnect all the lines and I can call it wraps. Here are some final pics from my lunch break job. Oh and the only "sediment" was from the old pumps floater paint but I am still going to replace the fuel filter as well.

Attachments

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Should I replace the entire filler neck/hose assembly or can I just get away with the outer rubber hose? Because wow that bad boy is almost 200$ for the entire assembly!!!! The filler hose itself is only $41+tax/shipping... Not trying to be a cheap a$$ on this part but damn, that just sounds like a lot for that 1 piece. Btw what body style do I have? Is the standard cab considered a "Styleside"? There are no flares, it is a straight body with nothing special about it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I looked at mine on the 82 that was in better shape than the 96 but when I tried to separate the outer from the inner I found that because they are formed hoses it would be next to impossible to pull out the inner and replace the outer...so I gave up on that idea and decided I would need to replace it.

Fortunately, I sold the truck before I had to go through that because those hoses are over $100 in Canada...so paying $42 or so would be a big savings...I was considering driving over the border and doing that job on a weekend...with the money I saved I could buy something else to go with it...like a new box or something...lol

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Well dang... I will give it a shot at separating them and see how it goes... worse case I have to buy the whole assembly hahaha thanks for the heads up

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Well that was easy... the inner tube is hardened rubber but still flexes and was super easy to remove... I had to cut it off the base of the filler opening first though.

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think getting it out is the easy part...lol.

I remember now that one of the reasons I backed off on mine was when I cut away the outer hose I found the nozzle at the top had rusted through. Probably less likely to happen in your area but...Canada...eh!

If I recall also the outer hose needs to be fuel resistant (for good reasons) and if you can find one that you can fit over the inner and secure it...I think you'd be good to go...only concern for me would be vapour leaks...and their tendency to blow up while refueling...as long as it's sealed on both ends that is the main thing.

If you can figure that out you may have many people looking to you for a less expensive solution to the replacement hoses...that I tend to think are over priced due to the nature of their purpose...

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Rock auto sells just the outer hose($41+tax/shipping)... I would think theirs are fuel resistant/not cause vapor leaks since they are marketed for that use and they are pre-formed for the filler line. I will order one and try it out though. In the meantime I am working on an interior overhaul as well, starting with the headliner then trying to tackle the seat issue(seems like the seats will be the biggest nightmare of any project in this truck).

Last edited:

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Still can't find the body type... would mine be considered as a Styleside?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Yes, styleside is the flat or slab sided, while flareside is the one with the fender bumps over the wheels. Also called a stepside, but that may be 'brand' naming stuff.
Depending on how long Rock would take, using piece or sheet of fuel resistant rubber and some fuel resistant RTV or rubber cement, you could wrap the cracked area with a sheet, overlap, glue with cement or RTV, use some tie wraps, and have a serviceable fuel filler that was sealed. Dunno how long it would last. Wonder if inner tubes are fuel resistant, as that might be a good candidate. The thing to worry about is fumes. The liquid fuel would be below the level of the tank inlet for 99% of the time.
Have you noticed any dripping or path of liquid fuel trailing down the side of the tank with your current filler tube? If there's no liquid, just forming a gas-tight seal may be effective. Some fillers are NLA, so Rube Goldberg starts to go to work.

tom

juggaloscorpio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Depending on how long Rock would take, using piece or sheet of fuel resistant rubber and some fuel resistant RTV or rubber cement, you could wrap the cracked area with a sheet, overlap, glue with cement or RTV, use some tie wraps, and have a serviceable fuel filler that was sealed.

tom
Yeah that is definitely not happening now since I sliced off the outer tube lol

Have you noticed any dripping or path of liquid fuel trailing down the side of the tank with your current filler tube? If there's no liquid, just forming a gas-tight seal may be effective. Some fillers are NLA, so Rube Goldberg starts to go to work.

tom
No leaks from what I saw before I cleaned up the tank. I don't believe there was ever any issues with the filler tube other than it being cracked(the only real reason I am replacing it while the bed is off) and I don't think the last owner even knew it was cracked tbh.

I am buying the new outer hose today so we will find out if it is an easy fix or a wasted $41+tax/shipping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals