• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hankook Kinergy ST H735 premature wear/feathering issues

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
2011 Ranger XLT 2wd supercab here with just over 120k. About midway through last summer, I bought a set of Hankook H735 tires from Discount in the stock 225/70r15. I've always been a Michelin LTX guy when it comes to pickup tires, but they're no longer offered in the stock 2WD Ranger size, so after seeing mostly glowing reviews, I figured I'd try the Hankooks. They have a 70k treadife warranty, so I figured they'd at least be comparable to the Michelins in longevity. I ran them for the rest of the summer until I mounted winter tires on a different set of rims, marked each tire, and rotated them when I put them on this spring. After one full summer of use, I'm noticing that the front tires are starting to show some noticeable feathering on the outer edge. I've had the truck into two shops for an alignment, and both times was told the alignment was within factory specs. I know outer edge wear can be a symptom of under inflation, but I typically run my tires a bit higher than the 30psi on the placard - usually 35 all around if the truck is unloaded, 35f/38r if I have the heavy fiberglass cap on or other stuff in the back. The rear tires are showing no noticeable wear whatsoever. Has anyone else experienced this issue with these tires? I think my next stop is to find a dedicated alignment shop, but part of me still feels like even if the alignment isn't "perfect" but is within factory tolerances and tire pressure is even higher then factory, I shouldn't be getting outer edge wear like this.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Within factory spec doesn't necessarily mean it's set in a manner that will wear even.

Being set to the outside/maximum tolerances for both toe AND camber for example will pretty quickly wreck a tire.. even though everything is 'in the green'

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Within factory spec doesn't necessarily mean it's set in a manner that will wear even.

Being set to the outside/maximum tolerances for both toe AND camber for example will pretty quickly wreck a tire.. even though everything is 'in the green'
Definitely, I'm aware of this. The first shop I took it to was a Tires Plus, then a Ford Dealership. Both places kinda gave me a dismissive response and didn't seem to want to mess with it which kind of makes me feel like they don't really know what they're doing beyond just achieving the bare minimum to be able to say the truck is "in spec".

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Definitely, I'm aware of this. The first shop I took it to was a Tires Plus, then a Ford Dealership. Both places kinda gave me a dismissive response and didn't seem to want to mess with it which kind of makes me feel like they don't what they're doing beyond just achieving the bare minimum to be able to say the truck is "in spec".

That might be the case... with the continued labor shortage and all that it's extremely difficult to find good help.

We've had a help wanted ad out for FOUR YEARS and finally got our first new hire a couple weeks ago lol. Wild. Luckily he's worth keeping.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
How far along in total tread wear are you? Before they get too bad on the front I would switch them to the rear. By the time you rotate them several times you might get full life out of all 4 of them. I rotate my tires every oil change, which is 3000 miles. I get a tiny bit of outside tire wear when they are on the front.

If it gets to a point I can't rotate them anymore, I might turn them around on the rims and wear the inside edge out. Or they may be dry rotted by that time and time to buy new anyway.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
How far along in total tread wear are you? Before they get too bad on the front I would switch them to the rear. By the time you rotate them several times you might get full life out of all 4 of them. I rotate my tires every oil change, which is 3000 miles. I get a tiny bit of outside tire wear when they are on the front.

If it gets to a point I can't rotate them anymore, I might turn them around on the rims and wear the inside edge out. Or they may be dry rotted by that time and time to buy new anyway.
I'd say I'm maybe 10K into them with one rotation. I also rotate mine when I change my oil, but I run semi-synth and usually go 7000 between oil changes.

I get what you're saying, but if there's an underlying issue obviously I'd want to get that addressed. I will say the alignment on the truck feels really good right now. I have new shocks on all four corners, ball joints have recently been replaced as well. It feels tight and tracks straight on the highway with basically no steering input - doesn't feel like a stereotypical old pickup that wanders around and needs constant steering correction, and if that's because the toe-in is close to the maximum to be considered within factory specs, maybe the increased tire wear is a worthy trade-off. Even still, I'd expect to see some wear on the fronts from going around corners and general around town driving, but it does feel like the wear is disproportionate compared to the rears - the rear tires show no wear whatsoever. I don't like wearing tires until they're bald anyways, but it feels like if the inner edge wear keeps up at this rate, I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know from experience that some tires are much more sensitive to alignment than others, and some require a different part of the "green - in spec" to wear correctly. Can you post up an image of the alignment results that you got from the shop(s)?

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I know from experience that some tires are much more sensitive to alignment than others, and some require a different part of the "green - in spec" to wear correctly. Can you post up an image of the alignment results that you got from the shop(s)?
Yeah, I think I have one in my glove box. I’ll post that and a couple pics of the tires. The Hankooks have an alignment indicator molded into the outer tread block.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I do not know much about the newer frontends, but I do know the alignment guys do not like messing with the old TTB suspensions, and will usually set the toe and call it good. To set everything else you have to bust the top balljoint loose and spin the eccentric, and that is a lot of work for them that they rather not do.

But with any frontend, ride height will throw the camber off, and make it wear on the inside of the tire if it's too low, and on the outside of the tire if it's too high.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I do not know much about the newer frontends, but I do know the alignment guys do not like messing with the old TTB suspensions, and will usually set the toe and call it good. To set everything else you have to bust the top balljoint loose and spin the eccentric, and that is a lot of work for them that they rather not do.

But with any frontend, ride height will throw the camber off, and make it wear on the inside of the tire if it's too low, and on the outside of the tire if it's too high.
I know what you mean about the Twin I-beam trucks, but this is a coil-sprung IFS and seems like it shouldn't be much different than setting the alignment on a Crown Vic or something, all things considered. Ride height is 100% factory.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Out of curiosity, when you take the truck in for alignment, do you leave everything in it that you normally carry when driving it around?

Also, are you a heavier person?

Both of those can make a difference and they may need to have you in the truck when checking setting the alignment.

Like stated above, some tires can be more sensitive to alignments.

I have also seen mixed reviews on Hankook tires. I have a set on my 2019. They are ok.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Out of curiosity, when you take the truck in for alignment, do you leave everything in it that you normally carry when driving it around?

Also, are you a heavier person?

Both of those can make a difference and they may need to have you in the truck when checking setting the alignment.

Like stated above, some tires can be more sensitive to alignments.

I have also seen mixed reviews on Hankook tires. I have a set on my 2019. They are ok.
Good thoughts. I don’t like clutter, so my cab is usually pretty empty, and no, I’m 5’10” and pretty lean, so I don’t think either of those things would affect the alignment. I sometimes run a fiberglass cap that seems especially heavy for what it is, but did not have it on at the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals