• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater Problems

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2 thumbs up

Excellant. 2 thumbs up for posting a conclusion. I think in the 91-94 it is easy to change the cores 95 and up you have to pull the dash

maverick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I got home yesterday afternoon and flushed my heater core... this time doing both hoses

I used the method of disconnecting the heater core hoses at the heater control valve and flushing it with the water hose. After flushing, I took the radiator cap off, ran the motor till it got nice and hot, and burped the system by squeezing the upper radiator hose and the heater core hoses. Basically all the hoses I could trying to get any air out. Quite a bit of air came out. Every time I squeezed and air came out, I was able to add a little bit more water.

I had to take a couple hour break so that I could go to my kids school function, but when I came back I jumped back in the truck, started it, and took it for a ride to the local gas station. To my amazement when I turned on the heater, out came HOT air. WHOOT!!! My guess is that it was air in the system and burping it and flushing the heater core got it out.

The true test will be tomorrow morning on my ride to work at 5AM after the truck has sat for over 8 hours.

spikebrian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having the same problem as you guys, im thinking the system has air in it as well, because i had to replace a hose twice because it was rubbing up against a belt and i just filled it right back up after replacing the hose, so the heats hardly working and i've already replaced the tstat. question, how do you blurp the system and heater core, i've never done this before. How many hoses should I check.

btw i have a 1992 ford ranger 2.3 5 speed if that helps. one hose of the 2 hoses going to the heater coil is hot, the other is cold, could the heater coil possibly be clogged up and if so could i just push alittle air through there with a compressor?

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your heater core could be clogged. Your hose could be clogged. Do you have a heater control valve in a heater hose line(if u have a/c u should have the valve). Are hoses hot on both sides of the valve

spikebrian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
where would the valve be located? under the hood or behind the glove box with the heater core. would the valve have a connector and a wire on it? the lines dont feel hard so i think im gonna try to blow alittle air through the core.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the valve is inline with the heater hose just follow the heater hoses and if yo have one you will see it it should have a vacuam line attached to it ...... if you have a/c you probably have the valve. see if the hoses on both side of the valve get hot. dont get confsed with finding a tee with a smaller line going to the top of the block. that is for coolant

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
use a garden hose and fasten a female hose fitting on to a hose to the heater core and backflush it with the garden hose. turn it on a few times

spikebrian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yah, i see one on my f150, but so far not on the ranger, must be tucked away somewhere, thanks for the info for flushing the core. I'll search alittle more. and the ranger does have a/c

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i just noticed you have a 92 the heater control valve might be somewhere else. feel all parts of the heater hoses and tells us exactly what is hot

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty positive my 93 does not have a heater control valve. I replaced all the coolant hoses so I'd think I'd remember if I saw one ;)

Edit: Took a look at Rock Auto, they list one for a 93, but I definitely didn't see a part which looked like that.

spikebrian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I used modelageeks method on fixing the heater core, 10$, and 10 minutes and i've got nice hot heat again. and my truck does not have a heater control valve, but does have a/c, just to confirm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals