• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Here's a new one for y'all

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Last night, I was playing a gig. Finished up, walked outside and the entire block was surrounded by police tape. I guess there was an argument at a teenage Airbnb house party and some dips**ts decided it'd be a great idea to have a Wild West shootout in the middle of the street. šŸ˜” I couldn't get to my truck through the police line, so I took an uber home with my guitar and amp. Walked to pick up my truck and the rest of the gear from the venue this morning, and noticed a strange-looking ding on the side of my otherwise-mint truck. "What the hell," I'm thinking, "After all this, someone hit me while parking?" I thought it was weird that there was no paint from the other car and it was all the way down to bare metal. Then a couple who lived on the block came out and said "Is that your Ranger? I think you got shot" and pointed out a large hole in the front bumper and a now-muddy pool of coolant on the ground.

Yuupppp.
So now I have a huge logistical nightmare to deal with that is probably going to cost me an arm and a leg out of pocket because none of the dips*ts involved including the person who ghost-rented the airbnb will be held liable. Nice.

Anyways, here's the damage. I haven't had a ton of time to check this out, but I can't for the life of me find the slug or where the bullet actually punctured the radiator.

tempImageBEJD5R.jpg
tempImageN3fs6n.jpg
tempImage0zbbnB.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well I was gonna move this to the bullet hole repair forum... but we don't have one!

Crazy man... this shit seems to more common everyday.

At least you were safe inside oblivious to the gun fight. This could have had an entirely different outcome.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both ground Ricochets I would say

Side of the truck off the ground and upward at a low angle
Other one up thru the bumper and up into radiator
This one may have hit AC Condenser as well

Might want to get a police report to have
If the ones doing the shooting are caught..................
You could do small claims court for damages, who knows you could end up on Judge Judy :)

Last edited:

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Well I was gonna move this to the bullet hole repair forum... but we don't have one!

Crazy man... this shit seems to more common everyday.

At least you were safe inside oblivious to the gun fight. This could have had an entirely different outcome.
Yeah, nerve-wracking to say the least.

You're right, even a nice, clean truck is replaceable at the end of the day, but if this had happened while we were loading, the outcome could've been very different. Bandmate got one through her car's trunk as well.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Both ground Ricochets I would say

Side of the truck off the ground and upward at a low angle
Other one up thru the bumper and up into radiator
This one may have hit AC Condenser as well
Ok, this is helpful. I bet if I go back there in the morning with this in mind I'll be able to figure out where it actually entered the radiator. I expected the hole to be directly behind the one in the bumper and was a bit baffled. Cops said they had .45s. I'm assuming even with that caliber and the fact that the 2.3 is an aluminum block, penetrating the engine block is unlikely, especially if it's a ricochet. Right?

I haven't driven the truck since last night and am planning on towing it to my mechanic who's going to get a kick out of this for sure.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A bullet would have to go through quite a few other things before reaching the engine block...and a 45 caliber pistol round will simply run out of energy after it hits a couple things. I'd be shocked if it damaged much past the AC condenser but who knows. Shouldn't be too hard to follow the path of travel past its point of impact... I don't think that one on the bumper was a ricochet, it's a pretty clean hole. On the cab though - that's weird, my first thought is that it was caused by something else running into the truck and not a bullet (just speaking from first hand knowledge, I have used car parts for target practice and seen a couple hoods shot through by hunters.) A glancing blow wouldn't put that long of a dent in the panel and bullets usually will go through if they're moving fast enough to cause damage. Hard to say though. My money is on someone being careless with some unknown item during the incident.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Bummer of a deal. But glad you're safe.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Shouldn't be too hard to follow the path of travel past its point of impact... I don't think that one on the bumper was a ricochet, it's a pretty clean hole. On the cab though - that's weird, my first thought is that it was caused by something else running into the truck and not a bullet (just speaking from first hand knowledge, I have used car parts for target practice and seen a couple hoods shot through by hunters.) A glancing blow wouldn't put that long of a dent in the panel and bullets usually will go through if they're moving fast enough to cause damage. Hard to say though. My money is on someone being careless with some unknown item during the incident.
Yeah, I had the same thought about the hole in the bumper - seems like a pretty straight entry to me, but I couldn't for the life of me find anything punctured directly behind it the first time I looked. Didn't get a pic, but the hole in the radiator was up and to the right of the one in the bumper at about a 30Āŗ angle, so on that one I'm inclined to believe the ricochet theory. Truck started up ok and was able to drive onto a flatbed. It's at the shop now. What a shitshow. One of my bandmates has a nice bullet hole in the hatchback of her Prius. Doesn't seem fair that her car's battle scar looks more badass than mine. šŸ˜…

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
That's bad for sure. But the fact that none of you were hurt is a small positive. Sad that's what the world has come to. Hopefully they can catch them and you can recover some money in claims court against them.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
That's bad for sure. But the fact that none of you were hurt is a small positive. Sad that's what the world has come to. Hopefully they can catch them and you can recover some money in claims court against them.
Yeah, not a great situation and all things considered, weā€™re pretty lucky to be unharmed. Happened at an Airbnb thatā€™s apparently a known underage ā€œparty houseā€. Multiple complaints from neighbors and it finally came to this. The negligent host apparently doesnā€™t even have a license to operate a short-term rental.šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Anyways, I have a little more peace of mind knowing the truck is on its way to being fixed, although with every mechanic in town backlogged way out, it may be a couple weeks before anyone can even look at it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What kind of insurance coverage do you have? I'm wondering if you can get your insurance to cover the cost if you can provide a police report of the incident. I imagine you would have to have comprehensive coverage for them to be willing to cover the damage.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
What kind of insurance coverage do you have? I'm wondering if you can get your insurance to cover the cost if you can provide a police report of the incident. I imagine you would have to have comprehensive coverage for them to be willing to cover the damage.
I actually do have comprehensive coverage, so I agree, but so far Progressive is doing their usual dance. No rental, ā€œoh, weā€™ll take care of you - once you meet your deductible.ā€ No police report out yet which doesnā€™t help. I just have a feeling progressive isnā€™t going to put any effort into chasing down the liable party unless the truck is totaled, which seems unlikely, but yeah, I plan on pushing back on their bs, and if I end up having to eat the cost of this, Iā€™m done with them, and they can keep their ā€œthanks for being a loyal customer for ten yearsā€ crap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is basically like a Vandalism claim because you were not driving the vehicle when the damaged occurred, and where the offender(s) are not known at the time of the claim
If this happened in your driveway car insurance may ask you to contact home owners insurance first

In any case insurance will cover any amount over the deductible
And then they can pursue any recovery of cost if the people are ever caught, that's not up to you once vehicle is repaired and paid for by insurance

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals