• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Much PSI

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well as far as n/a is concerned you have to use so much of it in the stock flexfuel vehicles, i figured it would do well in a race setting w/ high compression but i didnt know it would do so well in a t/c application. as far as hi boost is concerned i have seen some engines in the 32 psi range but you werent putting them on the street to say the least. i think this guy was looking to use his trk as a daily driver and that much boost on a stock motor isnt practical.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
30 psi on a stock engine? is it possible w/o upgrades? that would be awesome on a daily driver but im not sure how it would hold up, granted there are a lot of vehicles that do run this much psi or a lil less and have no problems w/ driveabilty but what about overall longevity?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nah, it was mostly in jest. However, with a stock turbo shortblock, or a ranger shortblock with turbo pistons, it is feasible.

And technically, as long as you's didn't ever ping, you could do some serious boost even with the stock engine. I currently have lo-compression cast pistons in my motor. It ran lean a while back and it blew the HG, pistons were fine.

That's why e85 is so ideal. It is very high octane and it cools the intake charge because there is so much of it injected.

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
i blew a wg line off once....it boosted off the map of the computer and... gauge ended at 25psi i was running 18 daily then at the track 22ish it had to hit 30+ with the to4e

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can push it to 12psi just have good fuel and the motor in tune good plugs all the stuff for it to run right. once you port your head you will lose 2-3 psi due to the better flow

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i fig you could go 10 12 stock but not 30, i wouldnt go above 12 stock anyway just incase. that block pic sux and ive seen carnage like that b4 but it still sux.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i blew a wg line off once....it boosted off the map of the computer and... gauge ended at 25psi i was running 18 daily then at the track 22ish it had to hit 30+ with the to4e

OHHH YEAHHHH!

That's a volvo motor right?

I'm pretty sure I've hit 30+ before. My gauge goes to 25, and I was regularly going to what looked to be 27-28. My boost valve was crap. I pegged the gauge once and then it blew the vacuum line off the gauge.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
actually i know 3-4 guys with rangers that put connecting rods and head gasket in and easily push 30psi. TT supra can EASILY hold 30 pounds with no problem at all. go check YouTube and u see many rangers pushing 30 psi.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i promise you theres more than just rods and a head gasket going on, and if there isnt it wont last very long. ive seen the 32 psi supras but they are rebuilt constantly. just cuz you see a kewl vid on youtube doesnt mean there isnt a lot of other stuff going on in the background you will never know about.

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
oh yeah you can run it.. just not for that long. i was trying to get my wagon into the mid 8s in the 1/8th i ran it upto about 28psi then i just had traction problems. I daily drive it at 15psi.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i promise you theres more than just rods and a head gasket going on, and if there isnt it wont last very long. ive seen the 32 psi supras but they are rebuilt constantly. just cuz you see a kewl vid on youtube doesnt mean there isnt a lot of other stuff going on in the background you will never know about.
Well you obviously dont know the 2.3T engine very well then.

There is guys over at TF that have put more than 500whp down on dead stock shortblocks.

The stock 2.3T shortblock is an upgrade from a 5.0 engine, as in it will support more power than a late model 5.0 block will.

Yes a stocker 2.3T will take 30psi, if you want to throw some RPM at it, then its time to change the rods and whatnot.

Its not about how much "PSI" you run, its about cylinder pressure and if you have enough fuel and cool air to support that cylinder pressure. If you can keep your AF good and have nice cool intercooled air in the engine, 30psi is no sweat.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...once you port your head you will lose 2-3 psi due to the better flow
No, that would be the case if he had a supercharger, but the wastegate is controlled by manifold pressure, so he would boost the same as he was before, he just would benefit even more from a port job.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i see where your coming from but still the extra wear on the engine takes its toll, ive torn down turbo engines b4, the more psi the more often you rebuild it, i can promise you that. thats why im not going over 15 psi when im romping around town, that and 300 horse is plenty on a stroker v6. if i want i can crank it to 20 for a timeslip, but i wont do it often, if at all to make sure my engine is reliable.

realstiffyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
turbo 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, Im sorry to jump on this thread but I also have a 94 ranger with a bone stock 2.3 I would really like to stay with a 4 cylinder and turbo it, I am doing a prerunner with 17-19 inches of travel up front and Not sure on the rear yet... So for the guys who know.. Am I better to take my motor and go through it with crank rods pistons etc... or should I buy a svo turbo 4 cylinder engine... How will my stock 5 speed hold up... should I take the svo tranny as well? Thanks Guys! also where do I find the good parts for the 2.3 if I should build it...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals