• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Much PSI

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't kill an svo for a ratty old ranger, even if it is a prerunner. Get the motor and tranny from a a turbocoupe or merkur.

A ranger 5-sp holds the power fine for a while, but the t-5 is SOOOO much more solid. I love my t-5.

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
A ranger t-5 holds the power fine for a while, but the t-5 is SOOOO much more solid. I love my t-5.
What issues did you run in to on your tranny swap? It's been so long I have forgotten.

James

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The shifter is exactly 9 inches father back.

The tranny crossmember needs to be moved forward a few inches.

The clutch slave cyl and hydraulic line are hard to find. I hear the 83 ranger hydraulic line is a much better fit than the 87-88 tc line (I know the tc line does not fit well).

You also need a TC clutch and maybe flywheel. I swapped mine out but I don't know if the flywheels are different.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Don't kill an svo for a ratty old ranger, even if it is a prerunner. Get the motor and tranny from a a turbocoupe or merkur.

A ranger 5-sp holds the power fine for a while, but the t-5 is SOOOO much more solid. I love my t-5.
Which ranger 5-spd are you talking about? There's quite a difference between the TK-5 (88 down) and M5OD (89+). Ther TK-5 is just a weak ranger transmission. The M5OD handles boosted 4.0Ls and pretty much has the same input torque rating as a standard T5. Plus if you get the 2.3 M5OD rebuilt with the 4.0L gear set, 1st gear is much nicer (numerically lower) for a turbo 2.3 than the T5's 1st gear.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea im doing a v8 swap in an s10 right now and ran into the 350 sitting further back than v6 even with the v8 conversion mounts. lol. im not sure wut im going to do about it.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
efan on the s10 and make brackets that move the mounts forward, ive helped do a 350 in an s10. what tranny are you using? we blew the motor in the 350 (had bad rod and didnt know about it. bad crate motor...) and cut the front end and extended it out (lots of fiberglass...) and dropped in a twin turbo 502, that was kewl...

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
we got summit racing mounts and it works fine now we are finishing up last touches now.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Which ranger 5-spd are you talking about? There's quite a difference between the TK-5 (88 down) and M5OD (89+). Ther TK-5 is just a weak ranger transmission. The M5OD handles boosted 4.0Ls and pretty much has the same input torque rating as a standard T5. Plus if you get the 2.3 M5OD rebuilt with the 4.0L gear set, 1st gear is much nicer (numerically lower) for a turbo 2.3 than the T5's 1st gear.
I'm talking about the M5OD. My 88 came with a M5OD and roller cam. I'm guessing it was a late 88. I just like the feel of the t-5 a whole lot more.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The T5 first gear in the 4 cyl tranny is just as good as the M5OD, and thats only with the 4cyl/small v6 tranny, the 4.0 gearset has a longer first gear. The T5 is a better tranny than any M5OD, the 4cyl T5 will handle more abuse than a 4.0 M5OD.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
heh. finished the beast V8 "Super-10" and its amazing. ecspecially with open headers. heh.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The T5 first gear in the 4 cyl tranny is just as good as the M5OD, and thats only with the 4cyl/small v6 tranny, the 4.0 gearset has a longer first gear. The T5 is a better tranny than any M5OD, the 4cyl T5 will handle more abuse than a 4.0 M5OD.
I don't know much about strength but the M50D is a very clunky feeling transmission. It feels like a stick in a bucket of old bolts compared to almost anything else I've driven. I don't think it's weak. But it's not the feel I would like in a hotrod. It's a good feel for a truck.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
They say the hurst shifter will do wonders for the M5OD's clunky feeling. It's supposed to shift like a BMW with the hurst on there.

As for strength, mine had 250,000 miles on it when I swapped engines and now has 15,000 miles of 300+ ft-lb turbo abuse. If and when it does break I'm gonna get a 2.3 case M5OD built with the 4.0 gearset.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
My point exactly, you want a numerically lower (longer) 1st gear as the 2.3 turbo powers through 1st faster that you can shift. I forget where the numbers are now but I remember the 2.3 M5OD having a numerically lower 1st gear than a 2.3 T-5. The 4.0 M5OD definately has a numerically lower first gear than a 2.3 M5OD.

And I'd be interesting in seeing the design torque input rating (the value that the engineers who designed it used) for both the M5OD and T-5. I bet there's very little difference, if any at all. Obviously a world class T-5 is better, but since that's not what came behind the 2.3, I'm talking about the standard T-5.

Last edited:

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"World Class" T5s did come behind 2.3s. It was a global changeover after mid 1985. The 2.3 T5 was not rated as high as the V8 version because it had a shorter first gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals