• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition button plan; need help!

Spider-Kenneth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
K, this maybe a lot to figure out, but I am gonna need a lot of help on this one!

I want to take my ignition apart and basically put it into 2 parts.

The first one would be "key on switch" A switch that ONLY turns the key on, not engine start. That way I can play music and what not with engine off.

The second, of course; is engine start. I want it to be reliant on the "key on" switch, meaning I have to turn the switch on for the button to work and when I switch the "key off" the engine will shut off.

First of all, I think I will need the ignition schematics.

I want the button

to be put here (obvious)

And I want the "key on" switch

to be located where the key release button it

Does this sound like a big project? Am I in over my head? I am pretty good with electrical stuff once I know exactly what wires I am looking at, I believe some labeling will be in order for this project. Is this even possible to do with the wires already provided?

Thanks in advanced for all comments

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This should help.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_StartIgnition83to882_9.JPG

Your plan is faulty.
You don't want ignition powered while listening to tunes.
Use two switches, one hidden for ignition, one wherever you decide for the ACC position (tunes). Starter switch on the column sounds good though.

PM me if you really need help. It'll be tomorrow before I can sketch anything up or describe which wires to where. Sounds simple though. The schematic I linked doesn't show the ACC wire, but it should be easy to figure out.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even playing the radio in ACC position will drain the battery. I know about that cuz it happened to me after blasting tunes. Time does fly,(middle of night & corn country) it may be a no start.....
Get a boom box w/ D batteries instead-

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_StartIgnition83to882_9.JPG

Your plan is faulty.
You don't want ignition powered while listening to tunes.
Use two switches, one hidden for ignition, one wherever you decide for the ACC position (tunes). Starter switch on the column sounds good though.
Bumping this old thread as I'm looking to do a push-button ignition conversion to my neighbor's '89 2.3. Why, you ask? We think someone tried to steal the truck and completely busted out the ignition tumbler and casting. As such, I'd need to replace the whole assembly if I wanted to repair it to "as original" state. Converting it to a push-button setup seems like the easier/cheaper route at this point.

First question... Is the '89 much different from the '83 - '88 schematic posted above?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this are welcomed. 13 years later from when this thread was started, I'm wondering if it might be easier to just buy a canned universal kit.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Because there are several sets of contacts in the actual ignition switch assembly, my personal opinion is that the "easiest" thing to do is replace the steering column with one from the junkyard that isn't destroyed. Then, if you still want a hidden or more secure pushbutton start, just do the actual start function (one set of contacts) as a separate switch somewhere.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I might could be able to help. Recently I bought a 95 Ranger vandalized with ignition key switch assembly ruined. I did exactly what you are wanting to do.
The old cylinder was and is in the run position so it was always on which makes is easier for these purposes. Under the column I found the power wire to the ignition switch. I spliced in a toggle switch. This gave me key on and key off. I then found the start wire under the column and took a second draw from the toggle switch to a momentary switch then to the start wire. Now the ignition is off when I turn off the toggle, on when I turn on the toggle and it will start when I push the button. All safety features still apply. Clutch switch and neutral/ park switch.

Last edited:

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I might could be able to help. Recently I bought a 95 Ranger vandalized with ignition key switch assembly ruined. I did exactly what you are wanting to do.
The old cylinder was and is in the run position so it was always on which makes is easier for these purposes. Under the column I found the power wire to the ignition switch. I spliced in a toggle switch. This gave me key on and key off. I then found the start wire under the column and took a second draw from the toggle switch to a momentary switch then to the start wire. Now the ignition is off when I turn off the toggle, on when I turn on the toggle and it will start when I push the button. All safety features still apply. Clutch switch and neutral/ park switch.
Thanks for the details. In my case, the old cylinder is gone and the area of the casting that holds it is broken apart somewhat. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I could manually fix things to the Run position as you did. Did you have any concerns about it moving out of that position on it's own or did you lock it down in some way?

I'm thinking with your revised setup you no longer have an "Accessory" setting - the first click of the ignition tumbler?

I'm also assuming with your setup there's essentially no security, save for perhaps the hidden toggle switch, yes?

No relays needed?

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Because there are several sets of contacts in the actual ignition switch assembly, my personal opinion is that the "easiest" thing to do is replace the steering column with one from the junkyard that isn't destroyed. Then, if you still want a hidden or more secure pushbutton start, just do the actual start function (one set of contacts) as a separate switch somewhere.
I get your point and I won't rule it out. I would also need to get a new lock tumbler and key, unless I got lucky enough to get a steering column that came with a key. Anyone know offhand if the similar era F-150 uses the same tumbler? I may have a spare set that I pulled from a ~1990 F-150.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
, I'm pretty sure I could manually fix things to the Run position
If you do this, how will you turn everything off? Shut down the engine?

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you do this, how will you turn everything off? Shut down the engine?
Yes. Flipping the toggle switch turns everything off (including the engine). At least I assume that's how "tw205" has his configured.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Yes. Flipping the toggle switch turns everything off (including the engine). At least I assume that's how "tw205" has his configured.
It will take more than a common single pole toggle switch to do this because there are several circuits that must be energized.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
That is cor
That is correct. The toggle shuts it off. My ignition was in on position when I got it. So if the battery was hooked up the ignition was in the run position. It’s a stick shift so in neutral I could jump the relay to start it. Then hold the brake and let off the clutch in gear to stop engine. The aluminum structure around the key cylinder is destroyed but with patients and a screwdriver you could get to the slide fir run and start. Is your steering locked. That will be an issue. Is yours in the run position? If your can’t be put in the run position it will be a lot more work. I bought the truck for parts but it has little rust and ran good so I kept it. It was an abused work truck then vandalized so she ain’t pretty. I’m not to worried about it getting stolen. Those things are a rare occurrence where I’m from.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
It will take more than a common single pole toggle switch to do this because there are several circuits that must be energized.
This is the second time you have tried to shut me down like I’m an idiot. Perhaps you should read my description again and rethink your response. All this is done with 1 toggle and one momentary switch.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Thanks for the details. In my case, the old cylinder is gone and the area of the casting that holds it is broken apart somewhat. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I could manually fix things to the Run position as you did. Did you have any concerns about it moving out of that position on it's own or did you lock it down in some way?

I'm thinking with your revised setup you no longer have an "Accessory" setting - the first click of the ignition tumbler?

I'm also assuming with your setup there's essentially no security, save for perhaps the hidden toggle switch, yes?

No relays needed?
It no longer has accessory. (Radio play while parked) I think that is a back turn not forward, at least old school ignitions were. I think my Super Duty and BIIs are that way. I have a Bluetooth speaker I can use with my dumb phone if I need entertainment. 😁

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals