• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jballard81's 1994 super cab 4.0 4x4 Restore

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
All that I have is an attached one-holer, so I feel your pain.

Still, I'm happy to have a good roof and a concrete floor for my adventures in the art and mysteries of wrenching.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome JB ! :)

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the driver's side door handle along with the window regulator and motor. The track was really gritty, I ended up having to sand it to get the old grease off.

I had no luck finding replacement door cards at the boneyard so I spent some time cleaning up the absolutely disgusting drivers side. Don't have a before pic handy, but I would say it's an 85% improvement
1000005060.jpg

Even 3D printed a new screw channel to replace the broken off bit
1000005057.jpg

Ordered a fuel filler neck and some cheap 6x8 speakers. I'm really dragging my feet on ordering the A4LD shift kit. Need to sike myself up to take that on I guess 🤣

Gotta love old trucks. Every time I tick something off the to-do list I usually add something else to the bottom of the list.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's some cool stuff man :)

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
"final" look for driver's side door. power windows and locks work, replaced the trash paper speakers with some Pyle's from Amazon.
PXL_20240317_003728382.jpg

Will continue to keep an eye out for replacement door cards when i'm at the next boneyard, but for now it's back together and functions as intended. After some electrical cleaner even the power windows on both sides work again from the driver's side switch. The switches were in BAD shape. the driver's side window was stuck open about an inch when it was parked for 4 years by the previous owner. They function normally again now. Still need to take apart the switches on the passenger side.

Found replacement mirror glass for the mirror on Ebay, should be here sometime next week(ish). since it's already cracked out, i think i can just pry the rest of the broken bits out, clean it up and then glue in the new piece.

Last edited:

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Started doing some research on AC conversion to r134a. My ranger was built in 11/93 and i'm relatively sure its a r12 compressor (I don't see anything about refrigerant on the engine bay stickers. anyway to confirm?). Either way, it appears that the system has been open to the elements for a number of years. I imagine all of the AC stuff will need to be replaced. I'm reading the tech article and researching prices.

more cleaning before and after pics!
PXL_20240310_000249793.jpg

PXL_20240310_011520431.jpg

PXL_20240310_001208938.jpg

PXL_20240310_011535195.jpg

looks and more importantly, smells much better.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The AC spec sticker is usually on evaporator housing. I've seen both R-12 and R-134a in '94 model trucks, although an 11/93 will probably be R-12. And it seems that the '93 going through the '94s the heater core cutoff valve, and more insulation on the evap housing, got added somewhere in the mix.

Yours may have lost an insulation blanket where the sticker originally was; '94 Explorer showing where the AC sticker usually is:

AC sticker.jpg

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The AC spec sticker is usually on evaporator housing. I've seen both R-12 and R-134a in '94 model trucks, although an 11/93 will probably be R-12. And it seems that the '93 going through the '94s the heater core cutoff valve, and more insulation on the evap housing, got added somewhere in the mix.

Yours may have lost an insulation blanket where the sticker originally was; '94 Explorer showing where the AC sticker usually is:

View attachment 107613
Thanks! I found it and mine is r134a!

I don't know much about ac systems, but this can't be good right?
1000005070.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Is that the manifold (the block for AC lines) unbolted and loose from the compressor?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
From the back of the compressor, yes, yes it is.
I'll be damned. No, that's not good.

Read up on the AC system; and price some parts. If you're wanting to have AC, you'll probably decide to replace most or all of the components.

Any questions, just post away.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be damned. No, that's not good.

Read up on the AC system; and price some parts. If you're wanting to have AC, you'll probably decide to replace most or all of the components.

Any questions, just post away.
*Deep sigh*
I'm going to assume all the bits need replacing. As I get further into it, I will be asking plenty of questions. 🤣

Gotta get through the shift kit on the A4LD and the fuel filler neck first.

But hey, at least I can comfortably stutter through (some) gears with my window down😎

Last edited:

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
A
Is that the manifold (the block for AC lines) unbolted and loose from the compressor?
As an ASE certified AC tech, yes, yes it is. Like you say, replace all of it. The system sitting open to the elements for 4 years means everything is likely trashed except the physical lines and maybe the evaporator core. But I would replace everything else, because if you don't now, chances are something will kill the compressor again and ruin the whole system.

If you do keep the evaporator core, and also the lines, flush them out very very well with a good quality a/c system cleaner. The last thing you want is bits of dirt and corrosion moving through your nice new a/c compressor.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
A

As an ASE certified AC tech, yes, yes it is. Like you say, replace all of it. The system sitting open to the elements for 4 years means everything is likely trashed except the physical lines and maybe the evaporator core. But I would replace everything else, because if you don't now, chances are something will kill the compressor again and ruin the whole system.

If you do keep the evaporator core, and also the lines, flush them out very very well with a good quality a/c system cleaner. The last thing you want is bits of dirt and corrosion moving through your nice new a/c compressor.
I would pay money to know why the previous owner disconnected the lines from the compressor and just let it sit.... like what good does that do?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals