• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Job hunting sucks...

lumpy4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hired by Canadian Pacific Railway back in aug '08, as a conductor, laid off in feb '09 the same day i got my ticket. jumped through more hoops to get the job then i can count. call back date set for whenever, probably 2-3 years. cant find any work. ei ran out, and welfare is shit.

on the bright side, just got to make it through to jan, and i will be starting school (again) thanks to second career. taking heavy machinery mechanic. if your screwed like i was/am, it worth looking into. have resorted to just cold calling everyone in the area looking for work, as i refuse to commute back down to toronto.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
You guys said it!! Ontario is the hardest hit province in this "recession" were having and the job market is very unstable. Im a chemical engineering technologist with 3 years of schooling, 1 year of Nuclear experience at GE and lots of other good skill sets yet still an entry level engineer, but it seems that every job i actually get an interview for is either too far away or not for the pay I deserve. Out of 200+ jobs I applied for this summer/fall I have had a couple interviews with nothing promising left on the table.

Not to worry however, make it through the winter and by January everyone will be having a new outlook on the situation..Job market it slowly picking up, however with the American Buck$ being so low its hurting our economy that much more.. Just be happy to be living in a strong and wide spread province like ourselves and things will eventually work themselves out.

If you have extra money lying around invest in the market, (TSX).. theres alot of small fish making a good loon by sitting on the comp every day, trust me I know!

Oh and Lumpy, my bud got the same treatment from CP last fall, and he's still not back to work..You think with all the track repairs CP&CN have they would need a ton of ppl to be swinging them hammers! Did you work at the yard or on a gang? Thats a fun job while it lasted Im told haha. Good luck on your return.

lumpy4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys said it!! Ontario is the hardest hit province in this "recession" were having and the job market is very unstable. Im a chemical engineering technologist with 3 years of schooling, 1 year of Nuclear experience at GE and lots of other good skill sets yet still an entry level engineer, but it seems that every job i actually get an interview for is either too far away or not for the pay I deserve. Out of 200+ jobs I applied for this summer/fall I have had a couple interviews with nothing promising left on the table.

Not to worry however, make it through the winter and by January everyone will be having a new outlook on the situation..Job market it slowly picking up, however with the American Buck$ being so low its hurting our economy that much more.. Just be happy to be living in a strong and wide spread province like ourselves and things will eventually work themselves out.

If you have extra money lying around invest in the market, (TSX).. theres alot of small fish making a good loon by sitting on the comp every day, trust me I know!

Oh and Lumpy, my bud got the same treatment from CP last fall, and he's still not back to work..You think with all the track repairs CP&CN have they would need a ton of ppl to be swinging them hammers! Did you work at the yard or on a gang? Thats a fun job while it lasted Im told haha. Good luck on your return.
wish i could even get in for gang work. i was hired and trained as a train conductor. where was your buddy working with CP?? i was out of mactier. working mainline, running trades. only work available with the company would require moving, and that is not something that i can readily do at the moment.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Well his bro Ricky was on a gang all over the province.. sleeping and eating on the company expense, slashing the bosses tires to the worktruck so they could drink and pull all-nighters and not go to work the next day haha. I heard many good stories. My bud Mike was usually workin in the Main yard where all the tracks meet.. Downtown TO I think. Then he did lots of repair jobs using the spiking cart I think. It was a good gig for him while it lasted.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
don't feel too bad .......... trying to find a job in Michigan is like trying to win the Indy 500 with Geo metro.

lumpy4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like your buddy had more fun then me. only thing we ever did, was total a brand new bombadier 700r (pretty sure that was the make/model). when the idiot operating it got it stuck on the tracks about 10 feet from a public crossing. snowmobile versus train. train wins.

bdab, i totally understand where your coming from. i called some guy about a job he had advertised. called him half hour after the time stated in the ad. he tells me, "i didnt realize that this many people where out of work and would be calling." wtf??? someone obviously does not read the papers or listen to the news.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear that went for a job intervue, and the girl told me she had over 700 emails in 3 days for the job.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I hear that went for a job intervue, and the girl told me she had over 700 emails in 3 days for the job.
I've gotten calls or e-mails from places in Barrie...about a month after I moved out...they wanted me to go back for an interview, which meant moving back there for the third time...I had to tell them I would be focusing my job search in the southern end...

But that's how long some employers are taking just to contact potentials...

Still working on funding to finish the MSCE...since it is now required by most companies hiring IT people...even though they are looking for first level support...

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's just nuts out there a good friend of mine just got a job at a pet shop, I can't even get a job at mc'ds cause of my electrial training they tell me to get in the trade, which around here you have to know someone to get you in.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Been on pogy after fishing for a couple months. Just got a job digging potatoes for some extra cash.
Going to be looking for something full time in November. Maybe off island.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah it's just nuts out there a good friend of mine just got a job at a pet shop, I can't even get a job at mc'ds cause of my electrial training they tell me to get in the trade, which around here you have to know someone to get you in.
Yes, that's the really frustrating part...IT companies don't want me because I don't have this or that...and places like Wal-Mart (yes, I applied there) don't want me because I'm too educated or whatever...

Maybe I'll start walking around Queen's Park in my Lumber Jacket singing "I'm a LumberJack and I'm all right..." carrying an axe might get me free room and board for a few months...until the assessment, anyways...

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the pipe job never came through, but I did get hired on the spot at Belfor Restorations, the company cleans up smoke/fire/water damage. I'll be working in the warehouse cleaning electrics, seems like a cool job and comes with a $1/H raise from my last job.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well the pipe job never came through, but I did get hired on the spot at Belfor Restorations, the company cleans up smoke/fire/water damage. I'll be working in the warehouse cleaning electrics, seems like a cool job and comes with a $1/H raise from my last job.
Excellent stuff!

I had a job interview last week...still waiting to find out the results...it went well, but one never knows...should find out today...keeping my eyes crossed on this one...:icon_thumby:

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, good luck on that mark. I called the local KalTire to see if they we're looking and was told there laying off, guess the local economy is still as week as last year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals