• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LSD Options

BenG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
Hello guys I've been working on my truck constantly I've rebuilt the 3.0 and it's been running great I has out with some friends and and the truck got hung up and we all noticed it was a one wheel wonder after looking at the tag on the diff and door it's a 7.5 ring gear 3.73 gears open diff i was looking on line for something for this I found a Yukon Lsd for a mustang with the 7.5 would this work in my truck or would it be better to look for a used OE axle with a Lsd if y'all have any information it would be greatly appreciated

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you get a factory one, they are usually worn out by now and need a rebuild.

Here's a whole page of info on the rearend you have, swap options, and to the lower right of the page, locker write-ups. Just be aware some of this info is older, so some of these companies may have quit selling some of this stuff. You will have to go to their site and check.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It should say "28-spline", if so it will work

I think Yukon made both versions of LSD, clutch pack and Gear driven

Depends on cost, you can used a whole rear LSD axle from a Ranger/Mazda B-series from a 1993 thru 2009, 7.5" or 8.8" as plug and play
Sticking with 3.73 ratio
Yes, I would replace the clutch discs and axle bearings and seals on a used axle

This site: https://www.car-part.com/

Is a good place to search for used parts in your area, use your ZIPCODE

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Both of those clutch type limited slips are junk, just put one of these in your open carrier, cheaper, easier to install, and works 10 times better.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
One of my former techs put a Powertrax in his 2wd Ranger, when he drove around the yard and turned it sounded like it was grinding itself to death. My Ranger has a Yukon "agressive" clutch type LSD that works great and is silent. It'll live a long time because I know how to change the fluid. A Torsen diff would be good, too, my Mustang has an Auburn Pro that I wouldn't recommend.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i agree, drop in lockers have the manners of an angry drunken bull in a china shop....

but they work. very crude...very effective.

if you need traction....get a locker. if your on the pavement mostly and have a car...the tru trac and torsen are pretty good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A torsen(gear type) is an open differential that locks if axle RPMs get too far apart
A clutch type is a locked differential that can slip momentarily when going around corners
A Lock Right is a locked differential that can slip/ratchet momentarily when going around a corner

I prefer the clutch type even though the clutch discs need to be changed every 200k miles or so
Much more predicable when driving in any situation

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
A torsen(gear type) is an open differential that locks if axle RPMs get too far apart
A clutch type is a locked differential that can slip momentarily when going around corners
A Lock Right is a locked differential that can slip/ratchet momentarily when going around a corner

I prefer the clutch type even though the clutch discs need to be changed every 200k miles or so
Much more predicable when driving in any situation

i dont agree....i always seen more clutch diffs in the ditch on the other side of overpasses...in the ice and rain... sometimes they slip sometimes they dont.... only predictable thing was bmws camaros and mustangs ditched...

if you dont put modifier in them...20 k tops....

if you use a truck off road 100k will never happen with a wheeler....maybe 40.

i destroyed way too many....literally guts through the cover. but it was cheap and easy to work with at the time.

if you need traction because the surfaces are loose and or you are off camber or in rutted terrain......you need a locker....or a spool.

if you are at the drag strip..or like doing donuts..or drifting around......then the lsd can make sense for alot of people....but braking and turning in slick conditions... the clutch posi i like the least from personal experience. Because it is the LEAST predictable.

and i have had every type on various platforms. but thats just me.

BenG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
Thank all of y'all for all the information it seems like my best option would be the lock right locker for what I want it to do my only concern is do I also need to install one in the d35 upfront of can I get way with just the rear as I haven't had any problems up front yet and don't really want to put to much money in it while I want to swap it for a d30 or d44 depending on what available at the time

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thank all of y'all for all the information it seems like my best option would be the lock right locker for what I want it to do my only concern is do I also need to install one in the d35 upfront of can I get way with just the rear as I haven't had any problems up front yet and don't really want to put to much money in it while I want to swap it for a d30 or d44 depending on what available at the time
A lock right in the front can be frustrating at times. It makes it more difficult to turn, especially tight turns. I run Aussie lockers front and rear. I like it. But wish I could afford a selectable locker in the front. Tight turns on trails often require backing up once or twice to get around. I don’t mind. It’s just something to keep in mind. Often, I get into and out of a lot of places with my front hubs unlocked. That way I can use the transfer case in 4-low for speed control. But the Aussie in the rear gives me the traction I need.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You do not need to do the front.

BenG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
It is still my daily so the turning ability is a bit concerning it's my first time messing around with axles so if you think just doing the rear axle is ok I'd like to just do that but if both is recommended I'll do both

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Just do the rear. You’ll be fine.

BenG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
Alright I I'll put one in the rear I really appreciate everything y'all said and I will come back once I get it and probably need help figuring out how it works and how to install it but untill then thank y'all so much

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just got back from a 4-week trip on the Wyoming Backcountry Discovery Route and the mountains of Colorado. So, I am a little late on replying.

There is nothing wrong with installing an auto locker in the rear if you learn to deal with the noise and other idiosyncrasies like an occasional jerking in corners. I think a selectable locker is the way to go if you want a locker.

I believe the next best thing is a Torsen or Truetrac. I run Torsen front and rear with very good results. A Torsen is never an open axle or a locker but has near locker properties when accelerating. It is a better LSD and does not wear out like the clutch LSD. The main disadvantage is cost.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals