• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD Aluminum crush washers for Fill & Drain plugs = NAPA replacement #704-1974

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Does FoMoCo still support our fave reliable Mazda stick-shift tranny? And if so, at what price?

No worries, NAPA Part # 704-1974 will do the job, cheaply, AND... Made In The USA! The NAPA version is both thicker and has larger O.D. (but same I.D.) as the OEM crush washers, but there are zero fit or interference issues.

I torqued them both to the recommended 36 ft-lbs., and 14 months and 5,500 miles later, both are still leak-free. Given that the tranny case is aluminum, and the washer-gaskets can only be crushed so much, best to always stick with that modest torque.

{Pics to follow... if you want...}

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Does FoMoCo still support our fave reliable Mazda stick-shift tranny? And if so, at what price?

No worries, NAPA Part # 704-1974 will do the job, cheaply, AND... Made In The USA! The NAPA version is both thicker and has larger O.D. (but same I.D.) as the OEM crush washers, but there are zero fit or interference issues.

I torqued them both to the recommended 36 ft-lbs., and 14 months and 5,500 miles later, both are still leak-free. Given that the tranny case is aluminum, and the washer-gaskets can only be crushed so much, best to always stick with that modest torque.

{Pics to follow... if you want...}
.....that thing has a torque spec?

And it has a lifespan?

Who knew.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
.....that thing has a torque spec?

And it has a lifespan?

Who knew.
I sure as heck didn't know! So the one time I pulled the Fill plug with the OEM gasket (to check the fluid level with mah pinky), I just cranked it back in place "'til it felt right", but it must've been too much, as it leaked slightly (probably during right-hand turns, lol...) until I replaced it with the beefier NAPA part... 36 foot-pounds ain't much, esp. if you were doing lug nuts or leaf-spring hangers earlier in the day! ;)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The last time I installed new OEM washers and torqued them to spec, they leaked. I needed to give them a bit more in order to get them to stop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals