• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mile marker locking hubs

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Look for stock manual locking hubs. They are the same as a regular Warn hub. If you have 33s or smaller, and you know how to use the gas, they will be very reliable.
i want to get 35's or maybe 33's for now, but there is 31's on the truck now, how much do the junker hubs go for? it might just be worth me gettin the jeep hubs in the first place. none of my axles are locked or are gonna be for a while

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the mile marker's... although i havent yet put the truck to extreme abuse, i have put it through some pretty rough stuff. i also have 33's, and no breakage yet. they seem to hold up pretty good so far.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i blew mine after i left your house on sunday. i had the stock autos and they have been clicking and binding even in 2wd since i got the truck, i cleaned them like 5 times in two months and it only fixed the problem temporarly, what should i look for in the junk yard? i want something i dont have to worry about anymore unless i ruin them under my own stupidity.
first thing i do when i get a truck with auto hubs is change them to manual hubs, the autos will always go when u need them most, and what, did u see a dirt road u wanted to explore LOL carefull around here, this is all dix property around me, u gotta know the right people to go back there

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My auto hubs were physically stronger than the Pilemarkers. The auto hubs were damn good. You just have to keep them clean and lightly greased. If they get caked with old dry grease they stop working. They have parts in them that need to move. I used a finger-wipe thin film of moly grease on them. The problem with them really, besides they don't work dirty, is that they disengage and then reengage when shanging direction. You can just bust their guts rocking the truck. Trying to manuever in an intricate place is a pain the the ass when you have to worry about them. Or trying to get out of a ditch when you have to ram it back and forth. That's why I replaced mine with Pilemarkers.

There's a mistake. I was pulling out little trees at the church when we were cleaning up the cemetary. I had a shrub under load and the front just stopped pulling. No satifying BANG or anything to tell stories about. The splines inside just rounded themselves smooth. That's when I decided to try the Warn Jeep hubs. After dodging flying Ranger hubs for years, I didn't want any standard Warn ones.

I used to believe that when I ordered my Warns, they had drive flanges available as well. I could never find a part number when pressed. And it doesn't make sense they would have made them since these hubs were part of a kit to tow a Jeep behind a motorhome I think. I don't think they made the flanges though. I'm better now and the therapy has been helping. Part of the therapy is that people show me things that are popularly believed to be facts and then and laugh and believe the exact opposite. They told me Hillary Clinton was a man and since Bill always had these problems, it was easy to believe it. But since it didn't come out yet from the Obama camp, I went along with it. No Jeep 4.5" flanges and Hillary passes the squeeze test.

I wish I had the flanges though. I haven't had my hubs unlocked in a couple of years I think. Even with a front locker it's not hard to get used to a little extra herky-jerky and you never have to remember which way the knob twists.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
My auto hubs were physically stronger than the Pilemarkers. The auto hubs were damn good. You just have to keep them clean and lightly greased. If they get caked with old dry grease they stop working. They have parts in them that need to move. I used a finger-wipe thin film of moly grease on them. The problem with them really, besides they don't work dirty, is that they disengage and then reengage when shanging direction. You can just bust their guts rocking the truck. Trying to manuever in an intricate place is a pain the the ass when you have to worry about them. Or trying to get out of a ditch when you have to ram it back and forth. That's why I replaced mine with Pilemarkers.

There's a mistake. I was pulling out little trees at the church when we were cleaning up the cemetary. I had a shrub under load and the front just stopped pulling. No satifying BANG or anything to tell stories about. The splines inside just rounded themselves smooth. That's when I decided to try the Warn Jeep hubs. After dodging flying Ranger hubs for years, I didn't want any standard Warn ones.

I used to believe that when I ordered my Warns, they had drive flanges available as well. I could never find a part number when pressed. And it doesn't make sense they would have made them since these hubs were part of a kit to tow a Jeep behind a motorhome I think. I don't think they made the flanges though. I'm better now and the therapy has been helping. Part of the therapy is that people show me things that are popularly believed to be facts and then and laugh and believe the exact opposite. They told me Hillary Clinton was a man and since Bill always had these problems, it was easy to believe it. But since it didn't come out yet from the Obama camp, I went along with it. No Jeep 4.5" flanges and Hillary passes the squeeze test.

I wish I had the flanges though. I haven't had my hubs unlocked in a couple of years I think. Even with a front locker it's not hard to get used to a little extra herky-jerky and you never have to remember which way the knob twists.

So Will, in summary, you had auto hubs which you liked until you had to backup. Then you got milemarkers which you broke in a non-dramatic fashion, so since hillary is a man you bought warns?

Dude, that's messed up.

:dntknw:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about janet reno? shes a man, so i bought milemarkers

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, Janet Reno was a man's man.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
first thing i do when i get a truck with auto hubs is change them to manual hubs, the autos will always go when u need them most, and what, did u see a dirt road u wanted to explore LOL carefull around here, this is all dix property around me, u gotta know the right people to go back there
no i go to this place thats on the way back right before great adventure, it connects to the safari and all, nothing really special just a few nice hills to climb and some water and mud crossings.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I see more WARN manual hubs at the junkyard than I can afford to
drag home, even at U-pull-it prices.

If people actually bought them I'd drag more home.

I keep a couple pairs on hand

There are two different warn hubs I've seen, the "early" ones that
are identical inside to the factory hubs, and the "later" style that have a
protruding "neck" in the internal spline piece.

The ones with the neck don't use the failure prone needle bearing but rather
a sintered bronze bushing.

The milemarkers by comparison just look "cheap" when you take them apart.
Everything is smaller

BTW, it's not the color that's different between the factory hubs and the Warns
for the dana35, it's the LABEL on the knob.

ALL Dana 35 hubs have black knobs.

the factory Dana28 hubs had RED knobs, but the AFTERMARKET hubs were usually black like the 35 hubs.

AD

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
ive had M.M. hubs for almost 2 years now. havent had any problems with them, but im also running stock tires and most of my 4x useage is in the snow. its still a upgrade over the auto hubs.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
i made a BOO-BOO, thought i had milemarkers, but i have the superwinches :D not to :threadjacked: but this question goes to MAKG, how does the hub nut have anything to do with hub installation? on my fullsize dana44 i pull the hub case by removing the allen screws then i pry out the inner snap ring and slide the hub gut off of my axle, i don't even have to mess with the hub nut unless checking wheel bearings. :icon_confused: just curious if anyone can tell me?
Look for manual hubs on any Dana 35. Exploders are most easy to deal with, as they ALL have Dana 35s. Most D35 trucks have auto hubs, but manuals aren't THAT rare. I found mine at Pick'n'Pull, even.

Don't pick up the much more common Dana 28 manual hubs, or you'll have two greasy paperweights.

You'll need the hub nuts and washers as well, as they are very different. Bring one of the 4-prong sockets (with a nice big breaker bar and perhaps cheater pipe) and a pair of flatblade screwdrivers to pop the snap ring off.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i made a BOO-BOO, thought i had milemarkers, but i have the superwinches :D not to :threadjacked: but this question goes to MAKG, how does the hub nut have anything to do with hub installation? on my fullsize dana44 i pull the hub case by removing the allen screws then i pry out the inner snap ring and slide the hub gut off of my axle, i don't even have to mess with the hub nut unless checking wheel bearings. :icon_confused: just curious if anyone can tell me?
because the ranger 35 uses top hat style hubs instead of the 44 style, i ended up just buying the jeep warn hubs, they are great, but now i am gonna upgrade to the bronco dana 44 outer stub shafts and knuckles so i will be selling the warn hubs off my ranger

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You need the locking nuts (2) and the washer in between them if you go get your hubs from a junkyard.

Kroeter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Used Mile Markers and for some reason one blew in about 6 months. Put on Warns and have not had a problem in about 4 years. We are talking a 97 ranger that the 4X4 gets used daily in the Winter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals