• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2507.jpeg

Here I scuffed the chrome finish with wet 1500 grit sand paper to give chrome marker something to bite into.
IMG_2508.jpeg

After masking and painting, I used small circles to fill in the chrome strips.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2504.jpeg

May not seem much but until I got all the front-end work done this was only a 60-mph truck. This truck has come a long ways. Fastest I have had truck and ran so smooth. Wind noise gone due to new window seals. Gas gauge works now but still needs a little tweaking but it is getting there.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2509.jpeg

Worked on my AC this weekend. It would not operate. Cleaned some contacts, added some R134 and got compressor working. Still not blowing cold. Talked to a shop and after I swap evaporator and dryer, he will get my system going for me.

When I know I am getting into another area, I try presoaking all nuts and bolts ahead of time. AC is probably a couple of weeks away, but I will keep soaking them. Doing same thing with my Body Mounts.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A bigger throttle body simply cannot give you more airflow at lower rpm, what it does is change the throttle curve so less pedal movement is needed for a given amount of airflow... the only place a bigger throttle can increase power is at full rpm which is hard to tell on the butt dyno unless you make a drastic change like 40mm to 60mm... We use 40mm throttles on 3.0L and 4.3L engines at work that don't go over 3000rpm, the intake restriction is only like 3 kPa at 3000rpm on the 4.3L, get up to 5000rpm and it would be significant but still...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great F100 you are starting on. I agree, one project at a time. Just not enough time and money to work on several projects.
One at a time, but several at once. I've got few projects ongoing, but only actively working on one at a time (or none). I try to think of it as working them in stages. First stage of the 99 Ranger was the drive train swap. Now I'm moving to stage ?? of the F-100 which is getting it running and stopping reliably enough to get tuned. Then it'll be on to the Kia (2010 Forte daily driver) that needs some suspension maintenance work. Then either back around to 99 Ranger on suspension, or getting the 85 Ranger running.

It'll never end, but I'm going to keep rotating around doing a little at a time and trying to keep all of them roadworthy. Atleast for the ones that are driveable, the 85 is a long ways off in that department.

May not seem much but until I got all the front-end work done this was only a 60-mph truck. This truck has come a long ways. Fastest I have had truck and ran so smooth. Wind noise gone due to new window seals. Gas gauge works now but still needs a little tweaking but it is getting there.
Sounds like a good improvement. I was there not too long ago with the F-100, but I think it is sorted now. I've taken it up the interstate keeping pace with traffic, but that was a couple of years ago.

My first gen was a 2wd, but I don't remember a time when anything limited it's speed. Don't know what the top speed was, that 2.8 would bury the speedo in third. I had the tickets to prove it too. I might have been better off if it was a 60 MPH truck.

Worked on my AC this weekend. It would not operate. Cleaned some contacts, added some R134 and got compressor working. Still not blowing cold. Talked to a shop and after I swap evaporator and dryer, he will get my system going for me.

When I know I am getting into another area, I try presoaking all nuts and bolts ahead of time. AC is probably a couple of weeks away, but I will keep soaking them. Doing same thing with my Body Mounts.
If you were local I'd try to help you out with this, we just finished up redoing the system on my 99 and it works good.

First check to make sure your system is setup for R-134, I don't know of these used that or still on R12. I'd convert to R134 if it isn;t given the scarcity of R12. You'd have to look up what needs to be done to convert, all of mine with AC were already 134.

Given age of the system and not knowing how long it hasn;t worked, you'll definitely want to replace the dryer. I'd recommedn making the new dryer be the last new piece you install and install it right before you get ready to close the system up and take for servicing. It contains a dessicant pack and it will draw in moisture from the air the entire time it is open and exposed. If dessicant gets spent (soaked/saturated) the dryer is no good.

If it were me I'd replace everything else in the system that needed to be replaced and reinstall the old dryer. Then the day or morning before you take in for AC service open and install the new dryer. We did the service ourselves, the system was only opened for minutes after the dryer was installed and was at full vacuum shortly after that.

I'm assuming that your leak was determined to be the evaporator? If not I wouldn't change it unless you are starting fresh with everything.

Again given age of system and that you might be converting refridgerants, I'd replace all o-rings in the system. Old o-rings are liable to be a source of leaks now or develop them shortly after the system gets charged. Also if an old R12 system, they may not be compatible with R134 causing them to break down and leak later.

While replacing the o-rings change your orifice tube. It also acts as a system filter. Replacing it will remove a potential restriction, and give a clue as to condition of the system. If therr is black gritty stuff on the filter show it to your AC shop guy and figure on replacing the compessor and condenser (in front of radiator) as well. That is typically a sign of a failed compressor and the stuff gets into the condenser and near impossible to clean out.

Back in 2009 when I got a 95 probe on the cheap, the ac system was dead. Compressor shot. We did a full replacement (compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, and orifice tube) of that system at home and it worked great for the short time I had it. Last I saw of the car was 2 (?) years ago when I got the opportunity to buy it back, one of the few selling points listed was that the AC worked excellent. Seller didn't know I was a previous owner.

Hopefully that was understandable.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks scotts90ranger... It did seem to rev up to 4k a little quicker. I wanted to see if there was any really noticeable and really cant tell. I plan on installing the 88 Throttle Body back on. I am worried it may run to lean. The O2 sensor should notice the difference but these are the first years of computers and really they are not nearly as capable as a modern car.Overall I dont see much gain from the swap.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Josh T... I too am trying to fund life,my Ranger and a motorcycle. I just need to go win the lottery. I looked at your F100. I have a friend rebuilding a 400. He was worried about parts availability and reliability. I really think with a electronic ignition and a newer or good rebuilt carb the old motors can be just as reliable. Definitly easier to work on. Having them somewhat drivable I think really helps in keeping them from becoming a yard ornament and enjoyable to work on.

I had heat exhaustion and my age is catching up with me that ac is not a luxury but more of a necessity. Once you get too hot you cant ever take the heat like you used to. I still have a month or so before it gets really hot so I will just start ordering all the ac parts that I can just do it all at once. Really most of the parts are not that expensive. I have installed ac on a non factory ac truck at one time and it was not bad at all. Mine has been coverted from R12 to R134 in the past. I think 94 time frame give or take a year or two when they went to R134. Thanks for the information.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There should be enough leeway in the fueling to take care of a different throttle body, it isn't going to run lean enough to burn it down or anything...

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2515.jpeg

I picked up some headliner material from a local mom and pop shop. Hope to get it installed this weekend but not sure. I am going on a 2 1/2 drive to get some wheels I found on Marketplace.
IMG_2516.jpeg

Wrote up a list of things needed to complete this project. Somewhat in order I plan on doing it. I will order a few parts ahead of time and set them on the shelf as I can afford it. Also reminds me to get prepared for future task. Like painting I started soaking my bumper bolts in PB Blaster. I already have my AC connections soaking and Body Mount bolts soaking for future projects.
IMG_2518.jpeg
Somehow, I just noticed the rake it has. Body Mount Bushings are on the list. Now I think Coil Springs are going on the list. Could be one if the last things I do. I can live with the rake for now.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello Josh T... I too am trying to fund life,my Ranger and a motorcycle. I just need to go win the lottery. I looked at your F100. I have a friend rebuilding a 400. He was worried about parts availability and reliability. I really think with a electronic ignition and a newer or good rebuilt carb the old motors can be just as reliable. Definitly easier to work on. Having them somewhat drivable I think really helps in keeping them from becoming a yard ornament and enjoyable to work on.

I had heat exhaustion and my age is catching up with me that ac is not a luxury but more of a necessity. Once you get too hot you cant ever take the heat like you used to. I still have a month or so before it gets really hot so I will just start ordering all the ac parts that I can just do it all at once. Really most of the parts are not that expensive. I have installed ac on a non factory ac truck at one time and it was not bad at all. Mine has been coverted from R12 to R134 in the past. I think 94 time frame give or take a year or two when they went to R134. Thanks for the information.
BTDT, and need to hit the lottery too. I understand the funding life thing, this economy isn't helping. I was fortunate to get my house at a good price, so mortgage isn't bad, and everything else is paid for except for parts and bills. That said since I took a promotion at work I've only lost money (go figure?) so having to stretch the dollars further. I quit the schooling that wasn't going to be beneficial so got that to spend and the time to finally work on my stuff so I'm doing it.

F-100 is going to be a long term project. Parts and reliability is definitely one of the things I'm mulling over. My thread isn't that far yet, but it's been modernized a little. It's now got a computer controlled carburetor (Holley Sniper) and matching ignition, which has already helped with relaibility and will do better once properly tuned. My concern with drivetrain is parts availability and practicality. The old Ford FE is cool, but very obsolete. It can be built, but parts are expensive, some times custom, and hard to get. Transmission is non overdrive manual and there are no easy swaps, so it's turning some RPM heading down the interstate. I'm really having an internal struggle over building the FE and adapting an OD transmission, or swapping in a modern drivetrain. Price will be about the same, performance would be about the same. FE would be cooler and more correct. Godzilla would be more effecient and easier to get parts for on the road and in the future.

Don't think I've ever had heat exhaustion, but growing up here in Georgia, I've been around it. I've never been able to take the heat, and often times wonder why I choose to stay here. Fortunately that new job I mentioned is at a desk with AC instead of being out on the tarmac working on an airplane in the summer heat. Everything that doesn't have AC will have it eventually. I've got to decide on the drivetrain for the F-100 before it gets one, but it is coming. In the interim I did a power window conversion to at least make it easier to get fresh air into the cab.

I picked up some headliner material from a local mom and pop shop. Hope to get it installed this weekend but not sure. I am going on a 2 1/2 drive to get some wheels I found on Marketplace.

Somehow, I just noticed the rake it has. Body Mount Bushings are on the list. Now I think Coil Springs are going on the list. Could be one if the last things I do. I can live with the rake for now.
If you've never done a headliner, check out some of the pointers that @jballard81 got in his recent thread.

Personally I like a little rake, especially on an 4x4. If you plan to cary a load very much, you might not want to get it all the way level, otherwise it'll look like it's sagging with a load.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Josh T... I am a complete purist if it is all original, but once it has been changed so much or project like what your truck has went through, I say go to what works for you. I live in the very southwest corner of Missouri. Oklahoma and Arkansas make up two of my county lines. Their highway speed is 75 mph on some highways. I really don't like pushing my Ranger at 75 or higher. 70 is a good speed for me.

If you are staying local the original 3 or 4 speed transmission will do ok, but beyond that or traveling great distance, I too would want overdrive or something along those lines. Just trying to figure out the right drive train can be the hardest part.

I thought we had humidity in my area. A year or so ago I was in Jacksonville Florida and coming thru parts of Georgia and Alabama, I experienced some humidity in some areas that I think had us beat.

I'm going to dayshift soon, I prefer night shift, don't have to deal with dayshift politics and cooler temps but sometimes you have to do what seems the best thing for you. I already told bossman I am hoping to hang it up in about 2 years if all goes as planned. So hoping it keeps it easy going for me.

I don't mind a slight rake. I do want to go with 31inch tires as I think it will look better and ride a little better. Overall truck does ride really nice for 4wd.

I will check out jballard 81 headliner tips. Never done a head liner but have watched a ton of videos. I want this truck to look as new as I can possibly make it . I have taken some junk trucks and they turned out really well. Just stockish but that is all I am after and maybe a little upgrade.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Today I had the bed pulled off. The gas tank seal between tank and fuel pump assembly would let a little fuel out with a full tank sloshing around. While I had the bed off I fixed the seal. While at it I went and filled the tank. I had to bend the float rod down a little bit as the gauge would only read 3/4 tank. Now it reads full. I think I have that problem fixed. With all the driving I did, I am now at 3/4 tank which is about where I should be. Currently I am getting 18-21 miles to the gallon depending on how fast I drive and if it is on interstate or back roads.

I wanted to leave bed off so I could do body filler on the back of the cab corners but that will have to wait until another day. Saturday, truck is going on a 2 1/2-hour drive to get the factory aluminum wheels that I found on marketplace thru a Ranger/Bronco page. I really think truck will make the drive .

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was raised on a farm and been around animals most of my life. Plenty of pets along the way. Couple of years ago, brats graduated school and last year our previous dog of 14 years passed of cancer. I’m thinking whoopee. Kids out if the house and no pets, finally got my freedom. That was until the wife wanted another dog. I was less than thrilled with that idea but whatever. Not going to let her new pet slow me down. I be danged her new pet likes me better then her so now she is my pet.
IMG_1810.jpeg

I’m sober. I don’t drink or do drugs. I just take terrible pictures. Bye-bye means truck ride.
IMG_2193.jpeg

Let’s Ride means get on motorcycle. She is always ready to go.
IMG_1825.jpeg

Anytime I’m in shop she wants to be there. She will attack the broom when sweeping shop so I have to run her out to sweep. Compressor, grinder, and any other shop noise does not bother her. Maybe not the manliest of dogs compared to a German Shepard or Husky but since she is my little shadow, I got attached to the little fart head.

Last edited:

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good looking dog! If you've watched videos on the headliner job you're probably already better prepared than me :icon_rofl:

Some tips you may already know, but just in case:
-the plastic trim and (especially the large b-pillar) is old and brittle. I only mangled the top plastic tress out when I did mine and tried to bend it out of the way. It cracked. Badly. Either roll the dice like me or be prepared to remove the seatbelt and that whole panel.
-if you do remove that big panel, probably want to pull the seat out. The seat was in my way getting the headliner back in
-mark and cut your holes before putting it back in. Don't be like me 😂 I had to chase it around to find all the holes. Pretty dumb.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Jballard81... I feel really confident about getting the head liner installed. I am waiting to get carpet as it will take about all the panels out to get either one. Once I get the carpet, I plan o n taking a day or two to strip interior out and do both. I know it is going to be a work out. Not really looking forward to it but when done, my interior should really look as close to new as I can possibly make it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals