• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Jballard81... I feel really confident about getting the head liner installed. I am waiting to get carpet as it will take about all the panels out to get either one. Once I get the carpet, I plan o n taking a day or two to strip interior out and do both. I know it is going to be a work out. Not really looking forward to it but when done, my interior should really look as close to new as I can possibly make it.
As an added bonus, taking it all out and cleaning it up helps immensely with unpleasant smells. I'm sure yours will turn out great!

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2524.jpeg

I found a guy selling these on a Bronco ll page. He said he would hold them for me for a few weeks until I could get them,as I am 176 miles away. He held on to them and I got them today. Took the truck on a 346 mile round trip. First real long run and it did great. AC and Cruise Control are going to move up the list a little quicker. It did give me confidence in the truck.

He did throw in a visor and chrome tailgate panel that he did not want. Don’t think I will install visor. He did gave an 85 Dash Bezel in mint condition. He knows they are rare to find. Great guy and will be doing business with him again.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello jballard. I try the quote thing and can’t get it to work. This truck was in nasty shape when I got it. I pulled the carpet and literally had 2 hours spraying and scrubbing. Still looks bad but 10 times cleaner than it was. Seats were bad too. They got scrubbed. I am eventually see about having seats professionally cleaned as some dirt is still trapped in them. I worked on them for a few days as well.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are going to have the headliner and carpet out, maybe install some killmat. I did that on my Ranger build even though I don’t think I documented that in my thread. Should help with road noise and drone, and apparently heat transfer from the exhaust. Got mine off Amazon.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to have the headliner and carpet out, maybe install some killmat. I did that on my Ranger build even though I don’t think I documented that in my thread. Should help with road noise and drone, and apparently heat transfer from the exhaust. Got mine off Amazon.
This is a really good advice. My AC isn't working and I've noticed how hot my floors seems to get. I will probably pull my seats and carpet out again and do this.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also sealed the floor with a quality encapsulation paint brushed on before I layed the killmat. For when you bring moisture in with your boots or a window seal/cowl leak that may develop. Just one more layer of protection for the floor boards.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Awesome-O... I used Amazon mat in my doors, and I can already tell the difference in the quietness of the doors. I will do the headliner, just trying to get excited about pulling all of the trim out. I was hoping to do it the same time as the carpet as most of the trim needs to come out to do carpet as well. Waiting until I can afford the carpet and floor is also getting some matting put on it.

I will have to look into some encapsulation. Winter time you always have wet shoes and I want to keep my floorboards solid. I am really lucky with the condition of my floors. What brand of encapsulation you use?

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello jaballard81, I have used matting on floors on other projects and it does make a difference and I feel it is worth the effort to pull the interior to do it. It is not a bad job but does take some time. A good weekend project.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2528.jpeg

I got my external window seals. I dont remember where I ordered from but they seem to be great quality. I suggest pulling inner door panel off for ease of installation.
IMG_2536.jpeg

Great fit. Window a little tight to roll up and down but not bad. I think a hot day they will adjust to their new position and fit better. No complaints. For installing.
IMG_2537.jpeg

If any issue I would say there is a gap at the very front of door glass. I have an 89-92 window seal in my window channel. That may be part of the problem. Not much water could get in and if it does my drain holes are cleaned out. Overall very happy with them. My old ones were brittle and no sealing. When I had windows down, the glass would vibrate in metal door occasionally. That was annoying some replaced then sooner then planned. Was wanting to wait until truck was painted but they should remove easily enough.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Terry, I can’t remember the brand I used, but it comes in quart and gallon sizes. Just grab some cheap dollar store paint brushes and toss them after use. It’s pretty thick stuff and dries very hard and smooth. Doesn’t like UV so it goes under the truck or on interior metal panels or should be painted over if seeing the sun. You have to remove all the plastic interior panels to do the headliner and carpet. It would be a nightmare to try and do it otherwise I would think. For the headliner for sure. Carpet you might get away without. It’s amazing how much space all these parts take up once removed from the truck. They will consider your entire shop! 😜. Also a good time to wipe them all down and paint them if you are changing the color or get rid of fade etc.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2529.jpeg

A friend of mine restored some wheels about as bad as these. I got some scrubbing in them with elbow grease. Loaned my son my drill. I will use an attachment and other polish to get them looking better. Probably going to a few days getting these to look like I want.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Today got a little hot. AC just moved to the top of the list. Another friend of mine has some AC equipment and is going to help me with getting the AC going. My list can change as the biggest problem comes up. Baking in the truck today got my attention as next month can really get bad. Going to order some AC parts tomorrow and gave them ready for the weekend.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2554.jpeg

I am always pulling trailers for various reasons. I have fixed more electrical issues just by repairing trailer lights and stereos back to the way the factory had it. Solder, heat shrink and electrical tape.
This Plug and Play Harness kit is made by Hopkins, part # 40205. Big name part stores or online is easily found.
IMG_2556.jpeg

Literally Plug and Play and a few zip ties to secure it.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2559.jpeg

Went to boneyard and got a passenger fender. 3 other fenders they had were no good. Cleaning Cruise Control steering wheel pad.
IMG_2561.jpeg

Did not realize it was cut but to try to add factory cruise control it will work. I have found a video of a guy adding factory cruise control to an 86 F150. Hope it is close enough to work on a Ranger.
IMG_2560.jpeg

Some jack butt cut the inner fender at the bone yard. I had to pay for the inner fender as the screws holding it on the fender will not break free. I am soaking them in penetrating oil. Ready to get this fender on and get a drivers fender so I can paint hopefully in a month or so.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2558.jpeg

I did get what I know is involved with Cruise Control. I am looking into eventually adding it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals