• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a hot lead for dash cam

Shadowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Putting a dash cam in and it has a cig. lighter plug. The 12 outlet on the dash is hot all the time so I need somewhere else to wire the dashcam that is hot only when the engine is running. I can change out the cig. lighter plug and go two wires but would rather not so where should I look?
2001 Ranger XLT 4.0

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There isn't an "engine running" source for 12v, just RUN on or ACC on

Fuse 19(25amp) in Cab fuse box only has 12v in RUN, not ACC
You could access that 12v in the steering column, it powers the PATS transceiver, red/light green wire on its 4 wire connector

Where ever you access the 12v you will need to add an inline fuse at that connection to protect the Vehicle's circuit from a short in camera or its wiring

Need to look at the Camera's amp/watt draw to determine if 5amp or 10amp will work, I would expect 5amp fuse would be best choice, as even a poorly designed dash cam should used less than 2amps

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals