• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to Me HD Pickup

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V8, and supposedly a 7k tow rating...however, with my small tractor and implements loaded on my 7 x 18 trailer, the Explorer wasn't too happy pulling it...so I started searching around and found a 1999 F250 SD with the 6.8L V10. So far I've done the spark plugs and coils and corrected a terrible misfire...wonder if that was why the previous owner really sold it....he claimed he was selling it because it was just sitting that they only used it once a year to tow their travel trailer....anyhow, new plugs and coils and runs great. The only slight downfall is it has 3.73 gears rather than the 4.10's but I don't think it'll make too much difference with the type of towing I do. It is the super cab, 6-1/2 foot bed, Lariat, 4x4, and automatic transmission. Seems to be relatively well taken care of with the exception of a few minor routine maintenance items that I'm slowly going over as I get the time and extra cash.

When I bought it, it had a soft tonneau cover on it that was on its last leg....tore that thing off and then started cleaning out all the leaves and crap out of the bed....found that it has the 5th wheel prep package rails in the bed...that's a nice bonus...I don't have a 5th wheel hitch, but may pick one up at some point so I have that capability if/when I need it....maybe a gooseneck hitch plate as well...I think a moderately sized gooseneck dump trailer might be in the near future purchase list LOL...

Truck has 185k on it, body is in really good condition, interior leather is worn of course, but was told I could unzip those seat covers and install replacement ones, so I may do that at some point. Only thing I wish it had was the towing mirrors that slid in and out because the ones on my truck are just the extended mirrors they don't slide in.

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
congrats! a good 3/4 ton is a great asset to have around

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
congrats! a good 3/4 ton is a great asset to have around
Definitely. Thought about an F150 but once again it would be kind of marginal for towing needs and thinking of possible future usage pulling a dump trailer, a 3/4 ton made far more sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals