• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No brakes when steering wheel turned fully.

joe.dollar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Happy New Year everyone.

I have a 2000 Ranger. Extended cab, 3L, Auto.

She's had a 2" lift kit installed. It's also got full size explorer rims and bigger tires.

I have discovered a weird problem.

When I turn the steering wheel left or right to the max, I lose my brakes. Pedal hits the floor and I have just absolute minimum braking via my rear brakes (as far as I can tell). Discovered this in a parking lot, and was inches from hitting a parked car. What a surprise.

To elaborate a bit, my brakes are FINE until about the last half revolution of steering wheel before maxing out. They are also fine when driving normally and when making moderate turns. Anything sharp though, and no brakes.

My vacuum line to the brake booster is fine. I do know that my tires are rubbing the brake lines occasionally. This I can see from a bit of scuffing on the brakelines. Would the tires contacting the brake lines cause this? I've had my wife turn the wheels while I look around under the hood and I cant see anywhere that the steering components could be affecting the brake system.

Any thoughts?:icon_welder:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well is this on icy roads? because at full lock just about any tire is just gonna slide straight forward. because the tire only rolls one way.. and at full lock the tires not pointing the direction it was spinning at before you turned. the brakes are probably working but its essentially the same as locking the brakes up, it just slides. If its on dryer roads with minimal slipping I would have to say a line is getting pinched somewhere but in that case the bedal should be very firm or the master cylinder should be spewing brakefluid everywhere.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
with the pedal hitting the floor i dont think ice would be the problem, i would check all your front lines, not, just visual, but get a wrench on there and check them, thats were i would start.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well it could be the ice...

Because your tires are like this l l l l they can roll freely forward and the brakes have an affect.

If the tires are fully cranked / / / / (thats not a good show but imagine) the tires are no longer forward on an Icy road they would still want to go straight. Which could explain why stopping would do this only at the last few cranks because the angle is to great to keep the tires rolling and they slide weather or not the pedal is to the floor.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Or, as the OP has indicated the tires are rubbing the brake lines....could they be pinching the line shut at full turn? Thats where my money lies.

Ron

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
how are your wheel bearings? sloppy bearings will cause this. pinched lines or ice would= hard pedal.

loss of pressure or a huge gap between the brake pad/piston and the rotor.

also check the caliper mounts

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but if the line pinched the pedal wouldn't move hardly at all because its trying to force large amounts of fluid to the large piston area to get the brakes but pintched it gets trapped in the tiny lines.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
True, but where it has been rubbing is probably weaker. I think it would stand to reason that the line could be ballooning, resulting in the loss of brake pressure. The tire turns and pinches the line, brakes are applied, line swells above the pinched area, brakes dont work. I'm just guessing based on the little bit of info provided. However its happening, it cant be a good thing.

Ron

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
check your steering stops. on my truck when i installed my lift spindles and upper control arms, i had to clearance my steering stop. at full lock, the brake caliper will hit the lower control arm/steering stop and cause you to lose pressure just like you described.

joe.dollar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies guys. Took me a while to get back to this. Lines aren't getting pinched by the way. Just rubbed slightly by the tires. The loss of braking effect is not like being on ice. The pedal is nice and firm throughout the turning range until the very end. Then, whoosh, she goes right to the floor. No fluid leakage of any kind and lines are very new, so no bulging in thin spots or anything. I am leaning towards the steering stop idea. I will check into this and report back.

Thanks all.:icon_welder:

97nooptions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like youre stretching the lines, which basically is making the hydraulic system seem larger(more capacity) and acting like its low on brake fluid, ive dealt with trucks that did that. sometimes you can take the hose where it bolts to the frame and make a little bracket to drop it down an inch or so.with only a two inch lift it should work

vtec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Happy New Year everyone.

I have a 2000 Ranger. Extended cab, 3L, Auto.

She's had a 2" lift kit installed. It's also got full size explorer rims and bigger tires.

I have discovered a weird problem.

When I turn the steering wheel left or right to the max, I lose my brakes. Pedal hits the floor and I have just absolute minimum braking via my rear brakes (as far as I can tell). Discovered this in a parking lot, and was inches from hitting a parked car. What a surprise.

To elaborate a bit, my brakes are FINE until about the last half revolution of steering wheel before maxing out. They are also fine when driving normally and when making moderate turns. Anything sharp though, and no brakes.

My vacuum line to the brake booster is fine. I do know that my tires are rubbing the brake lines occasionally. This I can see from a bit of scuffing on the brakelines. Would the tires contacting the brake lines cause this? I've had my wife turn the wheels while I look around under the hood and I cant see anywhere that the steering components could be affecting the brake system.

Any thoughts?:icon_welder:
Caliper hitting lower A arm also need help solving problem

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Master Cylinder seems like to me. The piston has a seal gone. Just my guess. Get past the point and the master cylinder just cycles within itself.
The wheel being fully turned is perplexing, but what if it's not the entire cause? Idk.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Caliper hitting lower A arm also need help solving problem
I would start a new thread. This ones 13 years old...hes either fixed it or totalled it by now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals