• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change today Garage put 5-30 in instead of 5-20

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Ratch said:
I've heard 5w-20 can kill an engine if it's not high-grade oil.
Now that's a new one. You heard WRONG. Just when you think you've heard every ridiculous oil myth in the book....
No. Just don't put it in an engine that doesn't recommend it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hate places like that.

"So let me get this straight, I have to pay you to live here, I get nothing to show for my money when I'm done, no house, no equity, I own nothing for all that I've spent, AND I'm not allowed to do basic stuff on my vehicles to save a few bucks here and there? Yuck!"
I would do it anyway. I changed a starter, radiator, oil, all kinds of stuff - just as long as you got done fast, no one really cared. LOL a friend of mine used to live next door to a guy that went to NADC, he would just drain his oil right out on the parking lot because it was on a slight forward incline. People are nuts. Friend of mine also changed his lower intake manifold gasket out in the parking lot where it wasn't allowed. I think it has a little to do with how cool you are with your neighbors, and the income level of the other tenants.

But nothing wrong with renting, you're paying for a roof over your head, and in most cases 1 or 2 utilities, not mowing, not messing with plowing snow, maintenance to fix stuff for you, etc. My home is far more expensive than my apartment ever was. I miss it, but at the same time I really do like having a garage to park my Ranger in for the winter.

Last edited:

Ratch

Reaction score
Make / Model
FixOrRepairDaly
Engine Size
big enough
Transmission
Automatic
I heard it from a guy who knows more about engines than I do, but he's not quite a mechanic. He has a low-mileage Ranger with coolant out the exhaust, soon after putting in 5w-20. That may just be a coincidence. He doesn't have the money for repairs, so I may be getting some cheap parts from him. His driveway statue has some premium stuff on it.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drive it! I do my own changes but seeing where you live and having the conditions you would have to work under, I'd be taking it some place to have it done.
Dave

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I live in a complex where tenants aren't supposed to work on their vehicles, plus the oil filter is a real bitch to take off/put on on the 3.0's. His prices are reasonable too, a basic oil change is $21.
That never stopped me, lol....

I lived in an apartment complex for awhile that specified no working on vehicles. They did allow two vehicles per apartment though, so I had two vehicles that I parked at one end of the lot. I always parked the one I was going to work on at the very end and parked my other one next to it, so nobody could run into me without hitting my other truck first. I did oil changes, brakes, tore the interior out and completely rewired the stereo with new speakers, tinted windows, etc.

I was also the yahoo with four mud tires mounted on rims and chained to the roof support post outside my apartment door, lol.

They never gave me any trouble till the last couple months of my lease, and then it was that they got on me about living by myself but having two vehicles in the parking lot....

So I sold my stock 1989 Bronco II Eddie Bauer (wish I wouldn't have done that). Had one truck in the parking lot for about 3 weeks, long enough that they started to forget....

Then I brought my choptop up, got it caked up in mud then parked it on the upper end of the parking lot so when it rained the mud washed down through the lot, lol. Never heard a peep about it, lol.

But yea, 5w-30 will not harm a thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals