• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One Mean C10....

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Josh, I vote putting a new lung on top like I'm planning. But then again, I'm gettin boost happy with ALL my projects (not just mine, I'm boosting the 5.0 i out in B's dad's jeep too) :woot:

SVT
I like the exhaust lungs.... ;)

Although I have been contemplating turboing this, it won't be anytime in the near future.

This thing runs wicked fast. My Camaro SS was fast, and ran 13s. This thing would run circles around it. So I mainly want to focus on the rest of the truck first. I already have new wheels to install, then we are tweaking the paint scheme a little, then trying to get it to handle as good as it looks. And AC. Definitely AC

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Looking good so far! My buddy has a 69 c-10 longbed that we stuck a 5.3 out of a 2004 tahoe in. Can't remember the engine code, but it's pretty much an iron block ls motor with a different cam. He built the wiring harness and tuned it himself, as we made the adapters to mate it to the th350 trans. When he gets a place bought and has room to work on it again, we're sticking twin turbos in it, as well as a long list of body and chassis mods.

This has me worried... I'm not sure what this is, but it's on the intake where the throttle body meets the intake.
As far as that gunk in the intake, looks like what you get when water and oil mix to me. I don't remember the PCV line being ahead of there is it?

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's coming from the passenger valve cover, so I'm tearing into that this week. Likely is a blown gasket or cracked head.

The 5.3 is likely an LM7. Should be an awesome truck with that kind of power.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yesterday i had a little time to spend on the truck. Here is what it looks like under the valve cover

This is my first time inside this engine, or any LS series engine for that matter. Would you guys consider this good?

There was an EXTREMELY minimal amount of milkiness i found in the oil. I checked the dipstick and in all the crevices above. I also picked up the Napa Hydrocarbon tester as well. Once i get time to get it back together, I'll do the test on it. The new AC Delco pump and factory temp thermostat installed. All i am waiting for is the in-house adapter i ended up buying instead of making. Found a really good looking aluminium one and decided to go that route. Should be here this week.

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
your pictures have been moved or deleted.

Robert

posted from my Dell while doing something I shouldn't be.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely have a head gasket issue, possible head crack also...Yank dem heads :icon_thumby:

SVT

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would bet you find your problem the the intake. If it had that orange crap that they call antifreeze from the factory as it did then it has probably eaten a gasket. But I would go for it all while it's apart.
As for the bed.......do a wood bed floor. That would look awesome. But that is alot of drilling of spot welds.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a replacement floor section already cut out of a scrap bed we had.

Rick, why do you say it's a head problem?

I've heard the intakes do like to leak on these. I'm still looking so I appreciate all the comments!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Usually when you have a milky substance in the engine, its from a blown head gasket or cracked head. I was not aware of the Intakes prone to leaking coolant. Guess it shows I'm not familiar with gm engines :D

SVT

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the same thing as you brother. This is a whole new animal here. I'm learning though. Evidently, these engines have condensation that is very typical to find minimal amounts of water within the intake and throttle body. They have a catch can kit that eliminates this, which is the next thing on the upgrade list as long as the heads are ok

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The intakes on these don't have any coolant passages in them, so that's not the issue... Even if they did, his oil isn't milky, so there's no coolant leaking into the crankcase, and the coolant would enter the intake long after the throttle body and just get sucked into the cylinder, far away from the trottle body.

EDIT: What I'm thinking is, if anything you might have an excessive amount of crankcase pressure due to bad rings or blown head gasket, blowing too much oil vapor through the PCV, mixed with condensation entering through the air intake, to give you that milky crap you're seeing.

I'd do a compression and leakdown test before anything else.

Last edited:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The pressure relief line running from the heads to the upper radiator hose was capped off, and I think was a large contributor to this.

Also remember the engine only has around 70-75k on it now. I bought it with 68k (or so they said. It was a company specializing in LS1 takeouts, so I don't see why they would lie. Especially considering what I paid for it)

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Pressure relief line? Mind taking a pic of what's capped off/where it is and putting it up? Are we talking oil pressure relief? crankcase pressure? Not sure what you are describing but neither of those would be attached to any coolant hose. Might be able to help ya figure out if it's anything that will be causing your issue.

And although your motor might not have many miles on it, unfortunately doesn't mean they've been easy going miles.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here are the pics.

This is the line that is capped off as you can see in the pic. It runs through the throttle body to actually heat up the air. You can bypass this, but the line it connects to via the rubber line shown, needs to be routed into the cooling system. this is where it attaches to the heads.

It's a crossover line that runs from the heads through the TB, into the radiator. Mine never ran to the radiator, so pressure would build right there backing coolant that should be going to the radiator into who knows where

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals