• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Parts showed up yesterday, got home from work late and had put brakes and a wheel bearing on a co workers truck...but I did get the oil pump shaft in and primed it with a drill. All I need now is my cam sync tool and its go time.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Been putting in some serious OT at work still, so not much truck progress...but I have been stock piling more parts and projects.lol

I pieced to together all the fittings and hose Ill need to ad some pressure gauges for power steering and fuel rail. Both will be mounted on the cowl and protected by some sort of scoop/pod.

I bought 3000PSI Summit PTFE braided hose/ends...expected to be an awful assembly like the stainless AN stuff I have used in the past...I was pleasantly surprised to find out the stuff is cake. Really don't want to commit to mounting until I have the motor in and can check hose routing and clearance.

I planned to have the motor in a while back, but wanted to get the cam sync/sensor in first since they are a huge PITA to align with motor in....but I realized my replacement crank pulley had no timing marks...WTF? So I eyeballed TDC using the old pulley and marked it, had the guys at work 3D scan both pulleys and overlay the data..I was off by less than a degree...so I used a chisel to make a 0 TDC mark. Now I just need time to put it together and drop the cam drive in. I also found that the 95 cam sensor does NOT require the tool to install since it has the window to time it..it is the only year like this.lol Which is good..since my friend borrowed it for his 4.0 B2 and now its MIA.

Here is where the B2 truggy project has been for a while.lol The D44 is still in the assembly stage, but the 5x5.5 8.8 shafts are in and the 35s are mounted up..It still needs a front clip, and completely rewired for the OBD2 dash/engine

I did pick up a new toy. Simplicity Frankentractor.lol Its a 7010 chassis, with 3310 sheet metal, and a newer hydrostat and PTO drive. Ran and drove great, but the carb needed rebuilt to run perfect. I also changed all the gear box and hydro fluid, wired up the lights, picked up a deck and cart, as well as started gathering parts to add hydraulic lift to the deck/3 point. Once its together I can let my dad have his B110 project back that I have been using.

Also Dad and I got the 1941 Allis Chalmers C project fired up for the first time since the 80s when the previous owner tore the tractor apart. We brought this thing home in boxes last year. sanding it all down and spraying some paint soon. Broke down and bought two new rear tires...little boogers are pricey.

Also scored a half decent grille shell for my 45...I put new mesh in it, straightened a few dings and replaced the wing that was hacked for a 12V alt. I rattle canned the areas I sanded just to keep it from rusting until it gets torn back down and prepped for real paint.

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good to see some updates on things. Seems like you might have more projects going than I do and that's saying something.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Still no progress on the Ranger, but am getting the garage slowly cleared out to make room for progress.

New mower project now has a refurbished deck ready to roll.

Also made a bushing and cleaned up a sleeve hitch for the rear.

The little Allis Chalmers C got some color.

The Dingo approves of the new tires...he says they are just the right height.

Also added another blue Ford to the fleet...thanks OneBadEx!

See my other thread for F150 progress...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Small update....Then I distracted and decided to reunite the WD45 and the snap coupler blade after 45 years apart. (This tractors number one job in the 60s was scraping the barn lots)

I smoothed out our driveway around the pond from where the county has been dumping fill in the pond.

Then put the ole girl to work moving stalk bales around.

Last night we decided to drag home a new toy..bought a Series I D17. It was cheap, and upon closer inspection,,,we figured out why. Started and ran like a champ, noticed the radiator leaked, front hubs are shot, and the steering gear has been apart and reassembled wrong, not big deal, its a 50 year old tractor. The real bad part was after it warmed up and pushed the dipstick out of the crankcase with oil/water mix.

Still not a bad deal, it will make a nice little work horse after an overhaul and some TLC.
SWEET BLADE :drool:

I would love to have one of those, it would beat the heck out of the three point install a couple times every year.

I have noticed over the years just looking around there is no such thing as a cheap D17. You either pay for it up front or you pay for it later. Heck, my free WD has done a lot of snowballing. We just went through the steering on a series 1 D17 here at work, you can put a lot of money in one in a big hurry. If I was to ever get one and the PS gave me a problem I would be tempted to just go to manual steering.

The little Allis Chalmers C got some color.
What year is that again? I don't remember my '47 having the big soft plugs in the block and my valvecover breather is different (same as my WD/WD-45)

11.2's are the best for a C IMO, looks like what you have. I have a better set for mine, it has the grand canyon zig zagging between really good tread. Found a set a guy had that he just let get oversprayed when he painted his Farmall B because he was getting new tires. Great tread and solid... just need to switch them sometime (but I want to paint my rims first) Color looks sharp on yours and thanks so much for not painting the front rims silver. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
This C is a 41. The oil breather is aftermarket, came with the tractor, but pretty sure it is similar to the original. These tires are actually only 9.5s.lol It had one original tire on it and it was a 10.00..which is no longer available. I picked up a set of road grader tires for super cheap we were going to use on the rear..but they were 14ply and too stiff to mount. Somehow the previous owner go them onto the Cub Lowboy wheels though. So we bit the bullet and bought new. These are BKT tires from India.lol Same tires I put on my 45.
I hate when people paint wheels wrong.lol We have a 45 with the outer rings of the front wheels painted silver...looks tacky to me.

I paid a visit to the AC salvage yard up were I went to school and scored most of the big items for fixing up the 17 like sheet metal and frame rails. Luckily the tires look salvageable and we have a rim to replace the extremely rotted one. We planned to pull the motor apart this winter..but somehow the C jumped ahead of it in line.lol All started when I drug home those grader tires...then they wouldnt fit...so we bought new...then said screw it, this thing is basically already torn down for paint anyways.

BTW We have two of those crap coupler blades. One has the "box wings" and one has bolt on straight extension wings. The one pictured was bought new by my great grandpa..the other came in a package with a 45, plow, half set of cultivators, and the better half of a rear mount sickle bar.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They look bigger than that, I know some brands kinda vary in sizes too. The rest of the tractor being stripped might make them look bigger too. I have had BKT's on the front of my '45 for two years, they seem pretty good. Hoping Santa has room on his sleigh, the WD would appreciate a pair too.

My grandfather has a snap coupler blade and the thing is sweet. They don't come up really often but when they do they are about $100 a foot.

I need to get this thing going, don't have anything to mow at the moment though.

A rear mount twin wheel sicklemower is on my wish list. Dad has a trailer twin wheel we need to get going but a mounted one is intriguing. A guy came in the shop and said he just put one in his scrap pile because some part broke. Tried to see if I could get it but he had told the guy renting the house he could have anything in the scrap pile and didn't want to go back on his word. :annoyed:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
THINGS HAPPENED!

The new motor is off the stand and in the truck and the front clip is back on.

Of course my dog/cat was there to supervise...

Only thing left under the hood to do is a heater hose and the EGR tube.

Once the transmission is in, I can build the new exhaust (with a muffler finally) and fire it up.

Once the rest of the drivetrain is in, Ill build the track bar mounts and burn them in....then all that is left is build the 8.8 and route the front locker shifter cable.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Is it a rebuild or a new used block?
Good to see you've gotten motivation to work on her again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Its a totally rebuilt long block. 98TM 8 bolt crank, rods, and block (tanked, honed, inspected), new SP bearings, KB 90TM pistons, Motorcraft rings, new Comp cam, New stage 2 P&P Morona heads, new stainless one piece SI valves, Comp dual springs, Smith Bros chromo pushrods, new SP rockers, new SP lifters, ARP head studs and hardware, SOHC girdled pan. I was able to keep stock bore and just polish the crank and use stock size bearings. The short block I started with was under 80K anyways.

I built it to handle boost, so it will be ready for the blower as soon as I get the rest of that stuff together.

nosferatu49426

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm excited to see it with the blower. :)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh wow that's gonna be bad ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
It lives!
https://youtu.be/S7hOqXwsj8I

This was first attempt after a smoked starter solenoid wire.

Turns out the added material on the oil pan flange on a 98 block is enough to touch the solder joint on the solenoid terminal.... Dead short will smoke a 10 ga wire awful fast.lol

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Hopefully building the exhuast this week, then I'll fire it up again and break in the cam.

Then it's time to get the axles finished.

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals