• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Not sure if I missed it in an earlier post at all but what are the hydraulic/ air fittings for in the second picture?
They are for the hydraulic steering ram. I made my setup removable so I can drive the on the street without having slowed steering.
BUUUUT, its really annoying when a tire lug disconnects them in a tight spot in the middle of the trail...

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
BUUUUT, its really annoying when a tire lug disconnects them in a tight spot in the middle of the trail...

Is this your subtle way of saying they should have been routed to the inside of the frame rail? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Is this your subtle way of saying they should have been routed to the inside of the frame rail? [emoji6]
Naw, bigger tires will fix the issue.

CHECK.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Sent from my iPhone
Brads old 36's were literally the worst possible width/diameter/backspacing for where those disconnects are located.lol The side lugs grabbed the collar like I made it that way on purpose.lol

My 35" Kevlars came up just short of touching them, and my 38.5s hit just ahead of them, currently my stops are adjusted to not even come close.lol

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I've been thinking about adding hydro assist to my rig too.
Did you post pictures on what you did for yours?
I've got a ram off a 77 highboy that I was thinking of using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've been thinking about adding hydro assist to my rig too.
Did you post pictures on what you did for yours?
I've got a ram off a 77 highboy that I was thinking of using.

The setup I had is in this thread somewhere, one mount was built off the cover and the other end pinned on at the driver's side tierod end. I made it removable via two 3/4" pins and the hydraulic quick discos.

I think my cylinder is 1 3/4" bore, 5/8 rod and 8" stroke? Its been a while. I bought it from Surplus Center. It just has welded bushings on the ends, not rod ends, so it can not be bolted on...it must be pinned

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Look back around post #850-860 in this thread.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Ok I'll check it out, thanks!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Made some progress on the hydro assist setup.

The cylinder I already had was a pretty cheap design with welded bushings on both ends made to pinned on, not clamped down with a bolt like a rod end. With the highsteer setup I no longer had the tierod to protect it on the axle,and the track bar prevents me from mounting it to the axle tube. I decided that first I needed to convert the cylinder to use traditional rod ends so I could simply bolt the ends down using a common bolt on the drag link or tierod.

I dissaembled the cylinder and cut the bushing ends off, then I took a 3/4-18 die and treaded the rod so I could use a female 3/4" rodend. I clamped the rod in the vise with some plywood soft jaws and had to tether a wrench on the gland nut to keep the rod from turning as i ran the die down it.

I had to thread down about 1.25" to get decent thread engagement and have room for a jam nut...I didnt have that much rod to spare, so I traded the gland nut out for an "internal hex nut" that was a bit taller and will bottom out internally before the jam nut bottoms on the seal.

Since I was already ordering stuff from McMaaster i boughta 3/4-18 "internal hex nut" to use as a weld bung on the other end of the cylinder.

With everything converted to rod ends my mounting possibilties really opened up. After some looking around and talking with a few people in similar situations..I decided to mount off the pitman arm and the passenger frame rail. It has just enough stroke and its 100% out of harms way.

I cut out the tabs and punched the holes....but I still need missalignment spacers before I can weld everything up.

I swapped out the standard misalignments on the drag link to "safety" misalignments with the larger flange. It should take a little stress of the bolt since it is in single shear. My 8.8 shock tabs showed up with them.

I also finally retired my trusty $50 grinder...I needed to replace the cord and found the brushes are starting to groove up the armature..so I replaced it with the 13A 4.5"/5" model. This thing is a tank! I will still throw new brushed in the eco grinder and run it till it pukes though.lol

Got tired of working in the dark and put up a few 48x24" T8 fixtures over my bench.

Last edited:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Your ingenuity never ceases to impress me.... Must be all those PBRs you've been drinking :icon_thumby:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I got busy with the sheet metal brake and bent up a quick pod/guard for my gauges on the cowl.

I blasted it and powdercoated it real quick..

Put longer bolts in the steering box to make up for the added plate.

I also mounted the OX shifter. I just kind of flopped the cable around until it landed somewhere easy to mount...lol Ended up by the parking brake. I wanted it in the center console, but there is just too much junk there already. I did discover my driver floor pan is in far worse condition than I thought..I knew it was getting rusty, but I didn't realize it has a few holes in it and the odd bump was from the body mount collapsing and the frame rail smashing the bottom of the cab.lol I might put a new pan in this cab...or use that as the excuse to start with a new chassis/body

I made the bracket to mount a second shifter...so I guess I should pony up and buy the 8.8locker soon.lol

I just need to weld up the hydro tabs, and run the hoses to the steering cylinder...that should finish up the front axle..then its time to turn the turd around and get the rear done.

I need to get the 8 lug roller axle out from under it so I can put it under the 86 now that it back home

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
No real progress on this turd. I did half ass bolt up the drive shaft to the roller axle and turn the truck around in the driveway under its own power.

Started building the "Super 8.8"....Picked up a Lightning 8.8 housing and plan to retube it with Explorer tubes...then truss it, and use the Yukon semi float conversion.

The housing has a lot of added rubs for strength and cooling. I plat to reshape the lower ribs to act as sliders on the lower lip that ALWAYS catches every damn rock on a normal 8.8

My last RuffStuff order was backordered...but say it shipped now, so I should be able to button up the hydro assist soon..then I can focus on getting the 8 lug 8.8 out and ready for the F150....and get the Lightning/Expo hybrid under the Ranger.

I have been working on the DD and the F150 lately
Picked up a hitch for it, blasted and painted it before install.

Also swapped out the amber corners

The DD got demoted to driveway parking spot again..

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Are you re-tubing because of axle width?
Correct. I also want to use the Expo caliper bracket flanges so I can keep my disc setup that fits in 15" wheels.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals