• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project #11 - new daily driver '94 Ranger

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If I had some injectors I would have been driving today... instead I had to quit here at 2:00 and switch projects. I would have been at quitting time a few hours before that but I had to get a new fan blade, the old one had some rather ominous cracks, and then I forgot that I needed to change the lower radiator hose and filled the rad with a junk hose which promptly puked all over the floor, so another trip to the parts store was in order.

No shortage of projects, the rest of the afternoon was spent taking apart an ancient DeWalt radial arm saw from the 40's that I won at an auction for $1.26... needs a couple bearings which are now on order.

IMG_0532.JPG

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
This ranger will be a good truck after repaired correctly. What I read you found wrong, and people call that a repair job. Glad to know this truck is in good hands with you..live that color blue. Don't remember, didn't you end up with those blue ranger floor mats?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pic of deWalt ras. I have one from early 50's waiting for refurb.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This ranger will be a good truck after repaired correctly. What I read you found wrong, and people call that a repair job. Glad to know this truck is in good hands with you..live that color blue. Don't remember, didn't you end up with those blue ranger floor mats?
Yeah, I don't know if this was someone's project they did at home or a pro mechanic that cut corners. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall... there is just really no reason to not replace something like a timing cover gasket while you have the heads off, the time & expense are so minimal. Or assembling things dirty... a quick rinse in the parts washer eliminates so many possible problems. I get that most people don't have a shop and tools like I do or time to be meticulous like I do, but that really begs the question... why do it at all, if you're not gonna do it right?

It was me that ended up with the floor mats, they are happily residing in my stepside truck!

Pic of deWalt ras. I have one from early 50's waiting for refurb.
Will definitely post a few - it's a model MB. Motor needed both bearings replaced so it's in a bunch of pieces at the moment, and I need to build a table for it. The one that was on it is awful chewed up and missing the fence. I suppose I should rig up something to test it with before I spend a bunch of time building a table.

I was never real interested in radial arm saws until I got this one. I think it will fit right in with some of my other vintage equipment.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Enjoying this thread. That's a nice truck. And it's gonna be even mo better.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@alwaysFlOoReD
IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

This is the junk table I need to replace, I'm glad to have it for a bolt pattern!

IMG_0535.JPG

And just to keep this thread on track, here's a couple pics while I patiently wait for injectors.

IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They have a bad rap. You need to use a blade with a negative tooth rake to help prevent the saw from grabbing uncontrollably. Lots of people didn't know, or were too cheap to use those type blades, so got hurt. Any saw is wanting blood. It's your job to prevent it.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
That thing is super nice. Manual swap is always an option unless you’d like to keep it as it was. Where did you send the injectors out to? I have a set that sat with old fuel in them for a couple years.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Seat covers and dash cover installed:

IMG_0543.jpeg

That thing is super nice. Manual swap is always an option unless you’d like to keep it as it was. Where did you send the injectors out to? I have a set that sat with old fuel in them for a couple years.
www.mrinjector.us, super good guy!

I may 5 speed swap it someday. I have everything to do it… we’ll see how long the A4LD lasts I guess.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well here it is, in all its glory...finally out of the shop and on the road.

This truck is really battling me. I put about 40 miles on it last night and today and still have not got all the air bled out of the cooling system. My tried and true "leave the cap off, rev the engine while filling the rad and put the cap back on before returning to idle" method does not work well here, the fan clutch engages sometimes while filling and blows coolant everywhere.

Issue #2, there are some erratic idle issues that come and go - usually it runs really smooth but once in a while it'll develop a really mild misfire. At idle, in Drive, not moving, there is an occasional shudder that feels not really like a miss, it just barely shakes the truck. It has also died a couple times when turning at idle or pulling away from a dead stop...it's like the IAC isn't keeping up or something. Not sure what to think of that.

Issue #3, I don't know what's in it for fuel but it pings like crazy under load, especially in 3rd & 4th gear on the highway if I go WOT to pass someone. It only has a 1/4 tank left and I dumped a whole bottle of Lucas octane boost in but it didn't seem to help. There are some other weird rattly noises under load too but not when just free revving in park.

Issue #4, I swear I am seeing a light cloud of smoke behind the truck but only under really heavy load/accelerating... maybe it is my imagination... my kid watched me drive away after I dropped him off at school and he said he saw nothing. May throw a new PCV valve on it... the one on it now rattles but I didn't really test it beyond a quick shake. The exhaust smells fine at idle, doesn't smell like fuel or oil... just normal exhaust smell.

Ideas on those would be helpful... I'm gonna try to run it down to almost an empty tank and fill it with premium I guess.

IMG_0552.JPG

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On the coolant side, I highly recommend a vacuum fill setup, harbor freight has one for like $50 and it's worth it, so much easier to fill modern systems, and no funnels!

I'd also recommend at least adding fresh gas, and from the sounds of it cleaning the IAC wouldn't hurt...

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Truck looks great..

Issue 1..my learning of this way came from my father decades ago. To bleed a coolant system, and this has worked for me always and even showed and helped others in the past.

With engine off, fill radiator to top..leave cap off. Turn on heater to the number 3 setting on the knob. Put slider to max on heat, and only use the dash vents. Start the engine, check time on your watch or phone..15-20 mins only..put a rag or two for coolant overflow. Coolant level will go down, add as needed. Constantly pinch the upper radiator hose and watch inside to see all bubbles escaping..this what's possibly wrong with yours..you have bubbles in there and it needs burping. Mostly let the engine idle during that time..occasionally rev it, mostly let it idle.

Periodically check the the heater vents for hot air. Arounds 20 minutes after no more bubbles are coming out..keep pinching that upper radiator hose. Keep topping it off with coolant and vents ate blowing air. Check heater core hoses for getting hot. Once all that is done..your heat should be hot. I really don't like the testers mechanics use..Im old school and I do certain things that way.

Issue 2..maybe the icm on the core support is bad?

Issue 3..sounds like iac is dirty or needs a replacement?

Issue 4..pcv would be a good start.

For gas I would use regular at Chevron or shell.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals