• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Progress: 88 StX 4x4 w/ Buick 3.8Turbo powerplant swap

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hell yeah.....looking forward to you getting this going...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This week's developments so far...
(He currently has the cab blocked up on wood 3" from the frame to clean and strip /remove unnecessary lines and cobbled wires.
The truck had NO engine/trans/tcase/trans crossmember when he got it.)
We placed a bare 787 series 3.8 Buick block and factory Buick G-Body mounts into the bay.
It does look like we have a future interference issue w/ the right bank cylinder head & Valve cover and the AC box on the firewall, especially if he just goes w/ stock body mount or 1.5" body lift like he wanted (with a 2" suspension lift.) I still am un-burying the oil pan and the valve covers for this block from a corner of the storage area- so I'll have them to add to the block for mock-up soon.
It would help if I had/could find a factory correct reference measurement from the Block /Trans mounting face (plane) to a fixed point on the frame or the front axle centerline.
I have included pictures without the block being placed in any specific orientation/squared, etc.IMG_4309.jpgIMG_4308.jpgIMG_4307 (1).jpg

Also working on interior trim- wrapping w/ foam and flexible Pleather...Pics to come

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hell yeah.....looking forward to you getting this going...
You have NO IDEA how much the 17 year old Wants this Going...;0
He's ALWAYS been the 'Dare to be Different' kid.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
looks like it was meant to be there.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Interior parts:
Dash filler to windsheild & kick panels.

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update:
Found out that the 3M77 adhesive did not hold in the heat on the dash filler, so he Bought 3M90 adhesive to re-shoot.

Progress so far:
Picked up a Chevy K2500 NV3500/NP241C 5 speed & manual transfer case
Was gifted an unused Buick 231 Centerforce Flywheel
Picked up an unrusted but dinged left front fender
Found & purchased an unused 3" body lift kit
Purchased NEW Skyjacker Softride 2" lift coils for the front
Purchased small right wheel arch patch panel and larger left rear wheel arch patch panel for the bed. Purchased sound deadener for the cab floor and roof panel
Salvage purchased factory jack and handle to replace the missing ones & a smooth straight '84 hood.
Got NOS front valence turn signal lenses and a taillight from our same local yard, cheap.
Got new LMC Weatherstripping kit for the cab.

Disconnected the cab from the frame.

Reached out to Bilstein for front shock options to match the B8 5100's available for the 2-3" lift in the rear.

Headed tomorrow morning early to the u-pull-it for first Gen Explorer Sport Trac rear leafs (may provide 2-4" lift) to replace the 'flat' rear leafs (looking to maybe eliminate the stock rear lift blocks to keep it almost level when empty) ; Evaporator and Condenser cores & stock 1st/2nd gen 4x4 Transmission/tcase crossmember

He's cleanned, rust converted, & painted the rear frame & underside of the bed floor. Pulled the cobbled wiring and rusted brake lines.
Cleaning and scraping the front of the frame to rust encapsulate and paint.

He's currently headed to Philmont High Adventure Scout Reservation with his fellow scouts for a week of hiking in the high altitude NM desert. Dad has a large to-do list in the heat in the driveway this week!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Progress so far:
I picked up a pair of 2002 Explorer Sport Trac rear leaf springs; got the Chevy 4x4 floor shifter assembly, linkage, lever & trim, proper yoke & tailhousing for the NP241C from a 98 Chevy K2500; Trans crossmember from a '93 Ranger 4x4 SC and the same rebuilt rear 2-piece driveshaft w/ new greaseable universals installed front to back and the new carrier bearing; Bed rail caps (aluminum diamond tread he will blackout).

I ordered PROTHANE bushings for the rear springs, radius arms and the bodymounts, which should be here between tomorrow and Tuesday.

Only things he'll need to collect on his return are the AC parts for the Ranger cab.

He's got his paint, interior materials, LED lights, seats, etc.

We just have to title the truck (once i reinstall the rear diff) and we can Let the build begin!
Work starts again today!

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i have been running the top rating 2wd TIB 150 rear springs with offset slugs the last 10 years or so for general use. they work a bit better then the explorer units all around. the un laden ride is much better.

its simple to make a relocater shim...there is an inch or so difference in pin offset.... they tend to be the cheapest option new at that, so its not a bad deal and worth the hassel to me.. though last i looked the 1850's with 8 5/8 arch for 90 bux are long gone....they are about 150 each now.

at least your making progress....

i wish i could work on my truck.... someday...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input, BobbyWalter!
We got the springs for $80 total and new bushings on the way.
I'm working on this in the stone driveway with limited shop equipment, so bolt in simple is good for me.

I understand the someday...I wish I could work on the 87 Grand National hibernating in my garage for the past 14 years, but kids and tuition come first. Guess I'm saving that for retirement in about 6 years.

i have been running the top rating 2wd TIB 150 rear springs with offset slugs the last 10 years or so for general use. they work a bit better then the explorer units all around. the un laden ride is much better.

its simple to make a relocater shim...there is an inch or so difference in pin offset.... they tend to be the cheapest option new at that, so its not a bad deal and worth the hassel to me.. though last i looked the 1850's with 8 5/8 arch for 90 bux are long gone....they are about 150 each now.

at least your making progress....

i wish i could work on my truck.... someday...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Progress Update- mock-up w/o a few missing components:
2002 Sport Trac rear leaf springs installed (2" lift approx.)
Scraped, undercoated, prepped.
NV3500 Chevy Trans & empty tcase w/ bare 3.8 block mocked up.
Shifter is looking nearly perfect on floorpan

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Currently the chassis is almost completely reassembled- just waiting for front bearings and front axle hub seals to arrive. I am having one nagging issue: I've tried twice to get these 10"x2.5" brake shoes for the stock Ranger 7.5 rear: (ACDelco RIVETED rear 10" brake shoes (part # 17581R was part #14581R). I'm trying to avoid the no-name bonded brake shoes & was looking for long-established names like Bendix/Raybestos/ACDelco, etc with few options. The online description (Amazon & CarID ) and photos show correctly, but both orders have sent Bonded brakes in the box for that #. ACDelco has some issues in their online listings w/ photos and listings matching BONDED versus RIVETED for the 5 brakes they show available for the Ranger, and Delco customer service informed me the set I have labeled made in China hasn't bee produced there since at least 2019. According to them only the dealers can get this part...So I have my local Chevy dealer ordering them from MEMPHIS for me for Wednesday.

Progress continues- Prothane bushings added F/R, Bilstein 5100 shocks in, new spicer ujoints, still trying to figure out the R. driveshaft and engine/trans/tcase placement - do I use the1330 Chevy one piece (too long for my liking), the 93 Ranger 2 piece w/ carrier bearing (shorten the short shaft), or use a double carden joint just behind the TCase (which seems to droop too much for my liking....)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Body's back on w/Prothane bushings & 1" body lift installed, Body primed but bed bondo & cab putty work not finished.
Stubby 2 piece driveshaft installed.

We hit a small challenge-the stock oil pan has some clearance issues as we had it mocked up, as it is a center sump and it locates directly above the rear TTB bracket and the engine crossmember. Going to have to play around with changes to the carrier bearing crossmember, motor mounts & the trans mount and trans crossmember.

Had a setback on the engine- the cam journal bearings in the 85 block were not viable, and the rod bearings showed wear. Refreshing the 85 shortblock soon. Pictures below...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Merry New Year!!
Updates:
Painted. Basecoat color: Eastwood Charcoal Metallic w/ 50g extra fine silver flake added. Clearcoat added w/ 50g deep forest green pearl (2 coats). Forest green striping and graphics to be determined and added next summer . New weatherstrip for doors and rear wing windows. Having trouble with spinning studs on the rear window. Next up reinstall cab wiring by windsheild and dash.
Continuing to work on body details, electrical harness repair, and we've begun rebuild of the Buick 3.8. (85 Block and heads w/ 80 Turbo Internals (pistons/cam & crank) (Master rebuild kit was back-ordered on the Main Bearings so we must order them) also need to get Chevy 10.4/.5" clutch kit/proper pilot bearing for the Buick to NV3500 input shaft and one t-Case bearing and replacement chain for the NP231C. Heater box and core going back in.

He and my wife are building flat custom door panels. Stitching up new seat covers in vinyl and denim. Contemplating finish on the interior B&C post plastic trim panels (Vinyl Dye/denim 'wrap' or vinyl (don't think we can make vinyl work in the supercab window areas....) Headliner's replaced w/ a charcoal fleece blanket on the factory backerboard. Carpet is new in the box & ready for install. Eddie Bauer cloth power Seats will also have seat heaters added. Apple Bluetooth Carplay radio & 3 pairs of JBL speakers gotten for Christmas. He's a happy kid with a LOT of work to do, pushing thru before semester restarts Jan 20th.
Picked up 17" D wheels in Williamsport. Pa area over Thanksgiving - now has 235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro AT's on it and the 16" Explorer 3 spoke Chromes went onto my Highlander DD.

(Grandpop's shop and both Cousin's labor sure helped clean up and begin assembly of the motor- 45th Anniversary SS is Grandpop's)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dash and interior coming together (After & Before pictures below)- Synthetic Leather & Black Denim wrapped, false carbon fiber vinyl over the silver, chrome & red deleted. Panels wrapped and pictures coming. Just a few more parts to gather for the motor and it will be ready to reassemble and install. (Needs clutch, hydraulic clutch hose, TCase Chain and a tcase bearing) Fuel & Brake Lines.)

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals