• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle upgrade.

Spiky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it aint broke, give it more gas!
I have a 1998 (that I bought new) 4x4 XLT Supercab. Ive put 345,00 on it and am just 5k into a reman. I know there was a model of Ranger (FX package maybe?) that had a 31 Spline 8.8. Is there a way to upgrade one that has the 1" axles and the 28 spline , or do I need to replace the entire rear axle assembly with a narrowed one from an F-150 (as Im sure I wont get lucky enough to find one that actually came from another ranger? Or does somebody make an aftermarket unit that you dont need a second mortgage for? Im currently working on rebuilding my original 4.0. Ive ported and matched a set of aftermarket heads. And I have one of those high lift (1.8:1) roller rocker setups from Tom Morana, plus some forged flat tops that should make 10:1 depending on my head gasket. Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the concern with your current 8.8" 28-spline rear axle?
Its 1.2" diameter
31-spline was 1.3"

What size tires are you running now?

Good place to look for Ranger info is here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/

Bookmark this page
Loads of "been there done that" info

The 2002 FX4 and then 2003 - 2007 FX4 Level II had the 31-spline axles Torsen Limited Slip

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 31 spline Ranger axle is pretty hard to find. They were only on 2002 FX4, 2003-2007 FX4 Level II, and optional on 2008-2009 FX4 trucks. You would have to swap the entire rear axle assembly. An Explorer rear axle swap would be much less work than a F-150 axle swap, and the Explorer axles are still reasonably easy to acquire. I agree with Ron, you likely don't need 31 spline axles.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
28 spline axle get ran in drag Mustangs all the time. Only reason I swapped the 8.8 in was it was cheap, relatively easy, and I wanted that style of disc brake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals