• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear locker, tire sizes

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Tire size is definitely dependant upon the terrain. For rock crawling you want as big as possible. But for what most of us do, which is veer off a logging road to get into the locally hidden fishing hole, a bit bigger, slightly aggressive tread is fine. My last vehicle has a 2 1/2" lift and 32 inch Duratracs (I highly recommend this tire) and this one I bought has a 4 inch lift and 31s. I think they'll do just fine and I'll probably never fully use the articulation this truck has.
I had a limited slip in the last rig and one in this as well.
My favorite mod of all time is a winch. It will get you over, out, through damn near anything. It's next on my list for this Bronco II. I had an Evo 8000lb Warn on the last one and I think I'll go with it again but with synthetic rope this time. (In hindsight I should have removed my winch before selling the Jeep. Oh well)

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
Also, another thing to consider with tire sizes and clearances is wheel width... wheel width can change the way your tires clear and/or look quite a bit really! I've got a set of 33/10.50/15 and with them mounted on a 10" wheel, they look like 33/12.50/15 but on a, say, 7" or 8" wheel they are super tall and narrow... almost doesn't look like the same set of tires...

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, another thing to consider with tire sizes and clearances is wheel width... wheel width can change the way your tires clear and/or look quite a bit really! I've got a set of 33/10.50/15 and with them mounted on a 10" wheel, they look like 33/12.50/15 but on a, say, 7" or 8" wheel they are super tall and narrow... almost doesn't look like the same set of tires...
A 10.5" wide tire on a 10" wide wheel? That's a bead popper for sure, I won't even use a 10" wide wheel on a 12.5" wide tire, I stick with an 8".

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
A 10.5" wide tire on a 10" wide wheel? That's a bead popper for sure, I won't even use a 10" wide wheel on a 12.5" wide tire, I stick with an 8".
Well, I haven't had any issues in the last almost 20 years... Obviously you're not gonna air down to 15 lbs and go play in the woods but almost any aggressive swamper has enough meat coming down into the sidewall, it doesn't look abnormal at all... But to each their own! That's all besides the point anyhow... I was simply saying, it's just another thing to consider...

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have 15" 31x10.5 mudders on 7" Daytona rims. And I tried getting a matching spare. Tire shops can't find the same rims anymore, they all went to 8"

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That's messed up! Have you tried online?
Not really. I figure I'll post on kijiji and see if anyone has any laying around. It seems they're about 20 yrs old. And if I get a 5th wheel and tire,I want the exact same because I'll rotate them. The tire shop was like, just get an 8" rim and it'll be close enough. And as he said that my OCD reminded me that I'll never buy my tires there. Ever

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I always use the manufacturer recommended rim size. Keeping the contact patch optimal. A too small rim will round the tread and wear the centers unless you air down to get the contact patch back to normal. Too big of a rim will do the opposite. Cup the tread and wear the edges.
My two cents. 😜

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Don’t be scared. I run BFG Mud Terrains 35x12.50-15 on 10” wide wheels and air down to 12psi for rock crawling, sand, mud, etc. Never popped a bead.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals