• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear shelf/divider for XLT model?

St.rAnger96

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
On my 1996 XLT I have what looks like a space just above the rear folding seats for a divider or shelf to slot into, complete with curved notches for something to "lock" into under the shoulder belt plastics. I haven't been able to find any information on this online.
The interior is all stock and super clean, so I know it's not some aftermarket stuff going on.

Any help would be appreciated as it's been driving me crazy since I noticed it.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Sounds like the factory roll-out "window shade" cargo cover. Do you have what looks like a handle on the cab's inside back wall? If so carefully pull it toward the front of the vehicle; it will hook into those "curved notches".

St.rAnger96

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Wild! No I don't have this but I wish I did. I've never even seen this option before. Do all rangers in this year range have the notches?

St.rAnger96

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I just checked out the area where this would have mounted, and there is a massive gap there. Now I gotta find one. Damn!

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
On mine it's balky, you can pull it out, it goes back in but with difficulty. I think what it needs is to get it out of there and lube or free up the retract mechanism, it's basically a window blind type of thing. To get it out I believe at least one side of the inside corner panels needs to come out or get loosened enough to get the ends out. And the rear panel that goes over it can't bind on it either. I haven't wanted it enough to start taking off panels, I can do that, but it's not my favorite thing.
To me it's limited usefulness because depending on where you like your seat position it can be too far back for the thing to engage the slots. Also with the tinted rear windows it's pretty hard to see in there anyway. But if you want it, search junkyards I guess and make sure it retracts nice before installation.
I suspect what happened is that it was binding/springs weak and wouldn't retract then it is setting there worse than not being there so someone just took it out.
You didn't say if your truck is 4x4, I was curious because looking at the sales brochure it looks like you could have got manual xfr case and manual hubs with an auto trans which I think you could not get in '97, if you got auto trans you were limited to auto hubs/elec xfr case. I swapped out my hubs for manuals.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The "cargo area cover" wasn't on the base / lower trim models; look for an XLT, STX or Splash trim level truck in the junk yard.

95 SC cargo shade.JPG

You can see a sales brochure here:
https://www.therangerstation.com/articles/ford-ranger-brochures/

Look around at the tech articles and other resources here; there's a gold mine of stuff.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I can't tell in the first pic above if it has the rear seats. There's actually quite a bit of storage inside the seats storage area. To me that whole area is set up way better than the next gen.
I like no hump in the back.
This is making me feel like I oughta fix mine because I hate not having stuff 100% even if I don't use it lol. It acts just like old window blinds where you have to keep pulling it out a little to get it to creep its way to be wound up. It has to be either binding, or weak springs, or both. Not horribly complicated.

St.rAnger96

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's pretty cool - I actually really like that, and now... I gotta find one!

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
My ‘94 XLT has one. Never really use it though because my dog rides back there, though it is kinda cool that it has one and it works great.

St.rAnger96

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My ‘94 XLT has one. Never really use it though because my dog rides back there, though it is kinda cool that it has one and it works great.
That's cool I wonder if it's the same for a 96... seems like it would have to be. Lemme know if you wanna sell it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals