• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rick's 5.0/C6 swap 1985 BII

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Went to the J/Y and grabbed 1 driveshaft, a V8 Explorer fan, and a V8 Explorer water pump pulley. Lathe time to fabricate a W/P pulley was wasted. Yes, that is annoying.

The radiator I decided on is for a 1995+ Explorer. They are a bit bigger than the HD 4.0 1992-1994 Explorer, but not as wide as a V8 Explorer. It should have no problem with the 5.0L. I fabricated lower mounts from U channel, and utilized two square holes in the core support for upper mounting. The lower hose nipple is uncomfortably close to the steering box. I'm looking for a hose that drops down and then up to the W/P.

Clearance between fan and radiator is enough that fan can be removed without hitting the radiator.

Remote filter adapter is a Hayden 291. I'm going to double-clamp all the connections and carry spare hose.

Last edited:

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Lower hose...application is '92 ish f150, with 8" removed from the center and spliced.

Transmission dipstick tube stock location comes up to the right of the passenger valve cover. Since the A/C plenum is in the way, I cut, rotated and welded it to anchor to the left of the passenger valve cover.

Transmission lines bent from 5/16" stock.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarket fuse box to clean up the linguini. I've been wanting to do this for a while. The relays and fuses I had added for lighting and accessories was out of hand.

Made in China starter had a bad solenoid. I swapped the used one from the Pick a Part special that was in the four-cylinder.

Out came the EFI pump, in goes a 35 gph dead-head carb pump on the frame rail. That needed the original carb sender installed. The stock sender was flakey, so I borrowed the sending unit from one of the cheap classic Ford fuel cell senders (early Ford senders used a reversed resistance scheme: 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full).

Power steering lines:

I welded the 5/16" lower to the Explorer pump end. Bent up the return to clear the A/C compressor.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You guys and your Explorer FEAD setups... making me all jelly for the room you save. I may have to convert over someday, it sure would be nice to have room for a mechanical fan.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Mechrick

I followed you thread over on the inline Ford forum.

Awesome work, I have been a fan of all the things you have done to your BII.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You guys and your Explorer FEAD setups...
Mine's been sitting in the shed for about 10 years. Glad to finally use it. I don't like having to use an electric pump though. Must carry a spare...

Rear driveshaft: My angles were 3 degrees at the transfer case and 1 degree at the axle. That's about perfect for a CV double-cardan setup in the front. I needed one without the flange as used on NP208's.

Pickings were slim at the junk yards. I ordered a new one. When it came in, it didn't fit the transfer case yoke until I realized the front and rear yokes were swapped. The front uses a Ford big cap U joint and U bolts. I grabbed a F150 rear shaft for the tube, thinking it was 2 1/2". It was actually 2 3/4".

This was one of the worst factory tubes I've reworked. With the spline end clamped in the lathe, the tube wobbled more than .050". Since the tube was too big, I welded the inside of the tube, machined it to size sort of creating an offset bushing with weld wire. The tube will wobble, but the spline and CV are indexed correctly.

Phasing the yokes: Technically didn't need to be done since it's a CV, but OCD kicked in...

Truing before welding... total runout at the yoke seal surface ended up at .006".

Last edited:

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Awesome work, I have been a fan of all the things you have done to your BII.
If you followed all of that, then you realize what a learning experience this has been. Thank you for the comments.

Shifters:

The transfer case is a reworked BII shifter. I removed the gate and tweeked it to fit.

For the trans I wanted something cheap, that did not have a reverse lockout. The Mr. Gasket shifter seemed to fit the bill.

I got lazy and tack-welded the shift arm to the C6.

I started it and backed it out of the garage under it's own power for the first time. As soon as I figure out a throttle cable and exhaust I can take it for a drive.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am going to use one of those trans shifters for my Explorer/C5 project - for the same reason you did. The ratcheting ones are nice for a race car but not ideal for a driver. I think the one I got is a Hurst though (same thing) but I have all of the stuff to use a cable instead of a direct linkage. There was somebody else that built a really nice floor plate that positioned it in a good spot and kept it out of the dash. I thought I had it in my bookmarks but for the life of me cannot find it now.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I won't be able to open the ashtray in park, but I didn't have a choice. Placement was dictated by the transfer case shifter.

-Action with both shifters is smooth though. I had to play with the lengths to get the shifter travel correct. I may grind an extra notch in the plate of the trans shifter to create a drive notch to stop the shifter in drive when pulling it toward forward gears.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Found it - from this thread:

Was actually a B&W Unimatic, that's what I have too.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That's nice. If I had it to do over, I would get a shifter with a cable. Interference with the ashtray is the only issue so far.

-I can pull the shifter back out, set it up in the press and give the arm a bit more bend to clear. Maybe later, after I get some miles on it.

Here is the NP208 with the yokes installed backward. The 208 uses 32 spline outputs front and rear, the same as NP205/203. The slinger goes on the front output.

-I may shift the rear mount to the right for frame clearance. With a CV I can do that with no penalty. The Explorer 8.8 has it's center section offset to the right as well, so everything lines up that way.

-That's a disadvantage if rock-crawling, as the rear axle shafts are different lengths (have to carry two).

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Throttle linkage:

I originally thought of installing a shorter cable, but the 5.0L is only inches off the firewall. The cable would have to make a tight 'S' bend to hook to the carb linkage. The EFI cable was just long enough that I could make a 180 degree bend and pull the carb linkage from the bottom.

I made a carb change. The Holley 600 I ended up with in a horse trade would have worked, but with the carb setting on the core support and electric fuel pump on to set float levels, I was shocked how little angle was needed to allow fuel to dribble out of the boosters. I realize the angle problem is fixable with the right parts, but decided to experiment with a Summit 600 cfm carb. The Autolite 2bbls are great at angles, I hope this one shares the heritage.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The exhaust is going to be tricky. There is no room to go down the left side due to the transfer case. I'm going to cross the left pipe over to the right side under the oil pan, then go over the radius arm crossmember parallel with the pipe from the right manifold. Pipe size will be 2 1/8", enough to support more than 300 HP.

2 1/4" pipe is a nice slip fit over 2 1/8". I'll make a nice slip fit 2 1/4" merge that can be removed for future service. After the merge will be 3" pipe and muffler.

Stubs:

Left head pipe: All mandrel bends welded together.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Head pipes installed: At this point it looks like a Harley.

Building the 2-1 merge: I used scraps of 2 1/8" merging into a 3" pipe and muffler.

The merge couples to the head pipes with 2 1/4". 16 gauge is an interference fit over 2 1/8". I stole an O2 bung from another pipe for the wideband sensor. One of these days I need to order a bushel basket of bungs...

Muffler is one of the cheap made in China items supplied by a well-known performance parts supply company. It's a 3" straight-through perforated tube with packing. The tail pipe s 2 1/2". One of these days I'll weld together a 3" over the axle tail pipe. The 2 1/2" tail pipe will limit HP a bit until I do...

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Frame modifications:

I had to trim the left frame rail for transfer case clearance. I braced it with heavy gauge angle iron.

Front driveshaft:

This is probably not a great idea, but I cut and welded two tubes together to get the length I needed. It will probably not hold, but if it breaks, because of lockouts and the part time transfer case, it will still be driveable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals