• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seeking suggestions for a 110v MIG welder.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, quality wire is important. I think if you can run it on a DC MIG machine will help a LOT too... AC flux is just more messy by nature. I ran some through my Miller 211 and there is significantly less splatter than with any of the cheapo AC MIG machines I've had.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've ran flux core for years, just got a bottle of steel mix a couple months ago... and like the second time I went to weld with it I forgot to turn it on since I'm not used to it at home (am at work...). Like Shran said, just like 6011 stick just in a continuous spool...

For what you're talking the smaller Hobart or Lincoln's would probably be the ticket, people on the other forums I'm on talk them up pretty good... for light welding my Titanium was nicer on .030" flux core than .030" solid but I think the wire speed on the flux core was higher which would make sense... If it was for work I'd step up a little too, but at home I can screw around (I only have two Titanium welders because I found that 170 for so cheap I couldn't pass it up...)

For the record with my stupid little 100A flux box once I started buying .035" wire exclusively it doesn't care what wire I feed it, too much voltage for .030" wire is my best guess...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Well, I typed out a big response and now it’s gone…

But yes, nothing is more frustrating than trying to work with crappy tools and poor organizing. Packout makes a huge difference.

Lincoln used to make a portable wire feed but it was out of my budget. Not sure if it’s still available or if there’s a new version but…

I think the new version is the lincoln 140. I have an old (circa y2k) lincoln 175 plus as my primary wire feed machine. Works great, just heavy and needs 220V

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I am not a big fan of flux core gasless setups. I'd rather not paint on weld.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Flux core has it's place, it's way better than nothing but you can compare flux core as 6011 rods versus mig being closer to 6013 or 7018... they all have their place...

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think I used flux core only once, a long time ago. I remember hearing it is good for outdoors in windy situations.

This guy shows how one can get better penetration with flux core and addresses misconceptions.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Flux core has it's place, it's way better than nothing but you can compare flux core as 6011 rods versus mig being closer to 6013 or 7018... they all have their place...
Never thought of that like that but it is a great analogy that I will refer to.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I think I used flux core only once, a long time ago. I remember hearing it is good for outdoors in windy situations.

This guy shows how one can get better penetration with flux core and addresses misconceptions.

Yep its for when gas wont work....usually outdoors. I am still not a fan. I would just switch to a stick welder and ARC it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For me the flux core doesn't have a big place. For portable work stick is better, lighter machine, only have to carry one or two rods, easy to switch between materials being welded, ect.

The benefit of wire welding is large runs of work in the same spot, more efficient. Gas is good working inside, but can use it outside, just turn up the gas flow and block as much wind as you can. Same with doing tig in the field. Neither flux core or solid wire are useable for anything structural or high pressure. More like 6013, not comparable to 7018. You need dual shield wire if you want to do production work with wire feeder.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What a rabbit hole this has been for me. Different wires for whatever application. Some wire with comparable tensile strength of 7018:

7018:

ER70S-6 (SOLID STEEL MIG WIRE):

ESAB Dual Shield 710X Flux Core:

I've always used 7018 low hydrogen for important things, like building a surface up to be turned down. A oilfield engine place down the road uses a submerged arc wire welder to build up and turn down cranks. It looks prettier and much less time in building up, but I really care for machining that compared to 7018.

MISWFL

Reaction score
If you care about the quality of your welds and work, avoid flux core.

If you're fixing equipment out in the field and don't care what it looks like or how long it lasts, use flux core.

I could be wrong, but I remember a welding instructor saying something about flux core welds being almost impossible to pass inspection. This was like 20 years ago, so things might be different now.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you care about the quality of your welds and work, avoid flux core.

If you're fixing equipment out in the field and don't care what it looks like or how long it lasts, use flux core.

I could be wrong, but I remember a welding instructor saying something about flux core welds being almost impossible to pass inspection. This was like 20 years ago, so things might be different now.
In the video I posted above, he shows a common mistake is the need to have a positive ground with flux core (negative ground was really messy, bad). The welds he did looked good, and penetrated good.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
So I ended up with these. New old stock. They wanted $700 and $750, but talked em down to $650 each if I bought both...and did.
20230427_141532.jpg
Sketchy pawn shop lol, had some good stuff though.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
In the video I posted above, he shows a common mistake is the need to have a positive ground with flux core (negative ground was really messy, bad). The welds he did looked good, and penetrated good.
Theres usually instructions in the door flap on how to wire for flux core...and wire speed/ voltage settings....all the info terrible welders never knew existed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals