• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slipping LSD

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
now, with all the talk on this, when i open the site and see this thread at the top again, i keep thinking we are slipping lsd to drinks in the club.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My 89 STX had the clutch type LSD in the rear. I did a lot of off-road trips with it, and it was still working well when I sold it with almost 200K miles on it. I did the Ford recommended process of checking periodically and had a little loss in performance but was always in spec. I always used Ford LSD additive when I did a lube change.

I can say though the Torsen in my 02 FX4 is a much better LSD. I have 284K miles on it and it still works like new. No additive is required either, just 90W-150 gear lube.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For maintenance the gear driven Limited slip are 100% better, but they are not actually "limited slip", they are RPM matching above a certain point

They are OPEN type differentials until the axle RPMs get far enough apart, i.e. a slipping wheel/axle, then they come alive to match axle RPMs, transferring power/torque from the higher RPM axle to the lower RPM axle
Its a good differential setup but not limited slip

Clutch pack type are true "limited" slip
They are always Locked full time, the friction modifier allows the clutches to slip a little, so "limited slip", when cornering
So with fresh clutch packs both rear wheels should have equal power/torque in a straight line acceleration, instantly

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For maintenance the gear driven Limited slip are 100% better, but they are not actually "limited slip", they are RPM matching above a certain point

They are OPEN type differentials until the axle RPMs get far enough apart, i.e. a slipping wheel/axle, then they come alive to match axle RPMs, transferring power/torque from the higher RPM axle to the lower RPM axle
Its a good differential setup but not limited slip

Clutch pack type are true "limited" slip
They are always Locked full time, the friction modifier allows the clutches to slip a little, so "limited slip", when cornering
So with fresh clutch packs both rear wheels should have equal power/torque in a straight line acceleration, instantly
A gear driven limited slip is an actual limited slip just a better one.

"The Detroit Truetrac is a helical-gear style, limited-slip differential that maximizes wheel traction and enhances driving characteristics. Maintenance-free, it features smooth, automatic operation in forward and reverse. Its versatility makes Detroit Truetrac the ideal traction solution for almost any type of vehicle."

https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/powertrax-grip-pro-traction-system/

"The POWERTRAX® Grip Pro is the latest design in traction adding differential technology. It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the strength of a fully machined, forged steel case. "

"Advantages Of Gear-Type Spartan Helical Limited Slip Differential

The Spartan Helical LSD limited slip differential provides smooth engagement, quiet operation, and requires no maintenance because there are no clutches to rebuild. The unit’s 10-pinion design has a strength advantage over an equivalently sized 6-pinion or 8-pinion gear-type unit because it has more points of contact and a greater surface contact area to deliver optimal load distribution. This LSD is built tough. The Spartan Helical LSD is a fully assembled unit featuring a forged 8620 grade steel case and stout 8620 alloy internals for superior durability."

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
A gear driven limited slip is an actual limited slip just a better one.

"The Detroit Truetrac is a helical-gear style, limited-slip differential that maximizes wheel traction and enhances driving characteristics. Maintenance-free, it features smooth, automatic operation in forward and reverse. Its versatility makes Detroit Truetrac the ideal traction solution for almost any type of vehicle."

https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/powertrax-grip-pro-traction-system/

"The POWERTRAX® Grip Pro is the latest design in traction adding differential technology. It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the strength of a fully machined, forged steel case. "

"Advantages Of Gear-Type Spartan Helical Limited Slip Differential

The Spartan Helical LSD limited slip differential provides smooth engagement, quiet operation, and requires no maintenance because there are no clutches to rebuild. The unit’s 10-pinion design has a strength advantage over an equivalently sized 6-pinion or 8-pinion gear-type unit because it has more points of contact and a greater surface contact area to deliver optimal load distribution. This LSD is built tough. The Spartan Helical LSD is a fully assembled unit featuring a forged 8620 grade steel case and stout 8620 alloy internals for superior durability."
I have to agree. Both types (clutch and gear) serve the same function. Both transfer a percent of torque to the axle with least traction. Both want equal torque to each axle but accommodate that in a different way.

I have Torsen in my Ranger and a Truetrac in my 69 Fairlane Cobra. I find they are almost like a locker when accelerating. I have to be careful when accelerating around corners because the inside tire starts chirping. This never happens with a light throttle while going around a corner. The nice thing about Torsen or Truetrac is they have a higher torque bias to each axle than a clutch type typically has. This in combination with the locker affect makes for good off-road traction.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You guys believe all the ADS, "Just as good as", "better than", "checks in the mail" :)

Come on, a Locked differential or a "going to lock" differential those are the two choices

I will take the locked differential, lol

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
You guys believe all the ADS, "Just as good as", "better than", "checks in the mail" :)

Come on, a Locked differential or a "going to lock" differential those are the two choices

I have learned not to trust any advertisement if that what you are referring to (ADS). I do trust my experience though. Locked differentials have drawbacks and are not the optimum in drive axles.

I sometimes run a locked differential on my race car. On the track at speed, it works fine but pushing it around in the paddock is very difficult. This is due to the axle binding when turning. This is hard on the axles also when driving. I much rather use some type of LSD on my race car when off or on the track. A good LSD runs freer in corners too.

A selectable locker works well, but a good LSD like Torsen is still my preference for off-road. I believe it causes less strain on the axles.

I am not saying everyone should do what I do, but I know what works best for me.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i like limited slip too, same reasons. locked sucks on road and eats tires too

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Full case auto lockers like the Detroit locker or Yukon Grizzly are the way to go for sure, or a lunchbox locker if you are on a budget.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford Trac lok is a full time Locked differential, as its natural state
It only "slips" because of the added Friction Modifier which makes it more street worthy

That is what I was referring to, VS the full time UNLOCKED(OPEN) gear driven lockers, like the Torsen :)

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The track lock is never locked, clutch plates putting pressure on spider gears is not locked, a locked differential would have no clutch plates.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trac lok is always locked same as GMs posi-traction
Try not adding the Friction Modifier and see what happens, pops/jumps like crazy when going around a corner, lol, like a manual locker(when locked) or welding axles together

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Ron, I don't know where you are getting your information, but that is not true. It is my understanding that limited slip differentials without the friction modifier get chatter in the clutches not tires hopping like you get with a locker or a welded differential.

An LSD is in essence locked when going straight but they are no longer locked when not going straight.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, its the clutch disks making the noise because they are locked and can't "slip" smoothly without the friction modifier, but if you were on gravel/dirt a tire would slide/skip without the friction modifier, like a welded axle

They are locked full time, just have "limited" slip as needed on PAVED roads

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
You obviously do not understand how an LSD works. Look up the Ford specs how to test an LSD if it is functioning properly. You lift one wheel off the ground and check how much torque is required to make the lifted wheel turn. You will find it is way lower than it would take to make a loaded tire slip on dirt.

Until you do that, I am not discussing this anymore.

If you think an LSD is locked, you must also think if one tire is in the air, the LSD will still drive the other tire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals