• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: Thread pitch/type to plug AC compressor manifold port?

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi folks,

just installed new AC components under the hood and annoyingly can’t find the right plug for this aftermarket manifold. I came close with the black 20tp plug. It almost threads in.

Any help would be appreciated! Can’t even determine if it’s metric or SAE 🤦🏼‍♂️

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it's a 12mm thread. I was searching, and what gave me some hits are what they call "A/C block-off kit and line terminator". They make these plugs for the A/C systems to block off rear A/C on dual A/C systems and other purposes.

One I found was a Dorman 801-020. Keep looking, maybe you can find something better. I am pretty sure looking at your fitting you will need a o-ring in there.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I agree with trying a find thread M12. Probably 1.25mm thread pitch. It looks pretty fine. It also looks like parallel pipe threads, not tapered. That makes a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the proper plug for that has a large head and flange and seals with an o-ring or copper washer.

What you're holding in the first picture looks like a setscrew and not a pipe plug.

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks so much for your help, guys. I think I might order these in m12x1.0 & 1.25 and see if it can work.
IMG_9680.jpeg

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, neither of the plugs I ordered from my previous post worked!
M12 x 1.0 & 1.25

I think m12 looks good. Seems straight walled. Seems like the 1.0 pitch is damn close, more than the finer 1.25… but it only threads in bout 3/4 of a turn.

what am I missing here? Is there a different thread format, akin to ACME that is common here? It’s sooo hot here, lol

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
You could try measuring it with a thread gauge. You could get a cheap gauge from Harbor freight or local auto parts store. Get one in metric and another in SAE. That would help you narrow down the thread pitch.

1.0 is actually finer pitch that 1.25. In metric threads, the pitch is in millimeters. It’s the distance from one peak to the next or one valley to the next. So, M12 X 1.0 is 12mm diameter and 1.0 millimeter thread pitch. M8 X 1.25 has an 8mm diameter and 1.25mm pitch.

for SAE (non-metric) threads, the pitch is expressed in too or threads per inch. So, a 1/4-20 screw is 1/4” diameter with 20 threads per inch.

pipe threads can be tapered or parallel. Most common pipe threads are tapered. So, as you tighten them, they wedge together tighter and tighter to form a seal. So, a 1/2” NPT fitting is 1/2” nominal pipe diameter (pipes are measured by inner diameter) NPT stands for national Pipe Tapered. Less common would be BSP - British Standard Parallel. However, in the machinery world, metric parallel threads are very common. An example would look like what you have and be designated M12X1.0 Metric Parallel. Parallel pipe threads do not wedge together. So, provisions must be made to seal them with O-rings or soft copper or aluminum washers.

then there are other special threads for high pressure systems like JiS, AN, etc.

yes. It gets confusing

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Sounds like it’s -5 straight thread o-ring seal. That’s a 1/2”x20 thread. Try a 1/2”x20 (fine thread, SAE, whatever’s you want to call it) bolt. It that’s right, find the right fitting.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get the pipe? What model is it for? It would probably be for a high pressure switch or something like that. Just buy the sensor and screw it in.

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could try measuring it with a thread gauge. You could get a cheap gauge from Harbor freight or local auto parts store. Get one in metric and another in SAE. That would help you narrow down the thread pitch.

1.0 is actually finer pitch that 1.25. In metric threads, the pitch is in millimeters. It’s the distance from one peak to the next or one valley to the next. So, M12 X 1.0 is 12mm diameter and 1.0 millimeter thread pitch. M8 X 1.25 has an 8mm diameter and 1.25mm pitch.

for SAE (non-metric) threads, the pitch is expressed in too or threads per inch. So, a 1/4-20 screw is 1/4” diameter with 20 threads per inch.

pipe threads can be tapered or parallel. Most common pipe threads are tapered. So, as you tighten them, they wedge together tighter and tighter to form a seal. So, a 1/2” NPT fitting is 1/2” nominal pipe diameter (pipes are measured by inner diameter) NPT stands for national Pipe Tapered. Less common would be BSP - British Standard Parallel. However, in the machinery world, metric parallel threads are very common. An example would look like what you have and be designated M12X1.0 Metric Parallel. Parallel pipe threads do not wedge together. So, provisions must be made to seal them with O-rings or soft copper or aluminum washers.

then there are other special threads for high pressure systems like JiS, AN, etc.

yes. It gets confusing
Thanks for all this good info! It really helps. Cheers!

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like it’s -5 straight thread o-ring seal. That’s a 1/2”x20 thread. Try a 1/2”x20 (fine thread, SAE, whatever’s you want to call it) bolt. It that’s right, find the right fitting.
Thanks for the comment. Yeah 1/2” x 20 is really close as well. But it doesn’t go in very far. Maybe 1/2-3/4 of a turn!

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you get the pipe? What model is it for? It would probably be for a high pressure switch or something like that. Just buy the sensor and screw it in.
I found out that the port in the manifold that I’m trying to plug is for a high pressure release valve. So the threads are for that. so I’m either continuing down this road— getting a plug or HPRV, getting an older manifold that doesn’t have the port, or just drilling and tapping for a known thread pitch! Good lord this had been way too much work for this little thing. Thanks for commenting.

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Franklin2 got it right. I was able to get a pressure release valve to work on the manifold. Thanks so much everyone for the support! Found the valve online at cold hose.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals