• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering gear damage

codylink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,

I've been reading the forum for a long time while I keep my little truck alive.
Recently I decided to breath some new life into her, starting with my increasingly dangerous steering. Any mechanic I've ever been to says they can't figure out what the problem is. Over the years I've changed tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings. Drag link seems fine.
In a bit of frustration pulled the steering gear and it didn't seem like anything was wrong. However intuition told me to look inside. Besides some wear on the gears (which may turn out to be meaningful, I can't say yet) there was some obvious shrapnel inside, just under the cover. It seems to be coming from around the adjustment screw.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Was there once a bushing on that screw that kept it centered and has now been worn to shreds? I can't find a rebuild kit that includes the bolt and whatever else is associated with it. It does feel like there is spring pressure behind it, but the thing is just floating. Is this play contributing to my steering slop somehow? I'm a bit concerned to have chunks floating around in there.

IMG_20230623_194542.jpg
IMG_20230623_194519.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is it a manual or power steering box? Just get another used one. If you plug in your location in Canada, you can go to www.car-part.com and see if anyone nearby has one.

codylink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I'm a little worried about getting a remanufactured box after reading some stories of going through multiples before getting a good one.

Anyone got a trick to pull the steering column off so I can replace my rag joint? Mine is rusted on tight and I'm afraid to bang on it too hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals