• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Straight drive shaft to replace transfer case

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the problem is "slop" where the yoke slides into the transfer case, replace the bushing in the rear of the extension housing. If there's more worng, replacing the transfer case would be next best, staying with the same unit you have. Converting to a 2wd transmission and driveshaft wouldn't be cheap or easy unless you have a donor truck. Once you converted to 2wd you'd find out how much you used 4x4.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. The slop is where the driveshaft yoke connects to the transfer case. I don't want a 500,000 plus mile transfer case just for whatever parts inside it work for 2WD.........bearings....bushing....etc.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To convert a 4wd automatic transmission into a 2wd one, you need to drop the transmission, remove all the "guts" to be able to swap the 4wd output shaft for a 2wd one. Then, reinstall everything. After which you swap the 4wd tail housing for a 2wd one.

Unless you want to go to all that work, you are going to have an x00,000 plus mile transfer case in the driveline because it has been almost a dozen years since Borg-Warner built the last 1354.
Whether you fresh up your existing transfer case or buy one that someone else has, you are getting an 'experienced' transfer case even if you are just running 2wd.​

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I'm not going to convert my transmission. I paid over 3K for a remanufactured one several months ago.
But what exactly is that bushing called that slides into the extension housing? I'm curious if the auto parts store carries it. I might keep an extra one on hand.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks. I'm not going to convert my transmission. I paid over 3K for a remanufactured one several months ago.
But what exactly is that bushing called that slides into the extension housing? I'm curious if the auto parts store carries it. I might keep an extra one on hand.
I believe it is this one:

If your transmission was rebuilt properly there should be NO slop there. I don't see how having one on hand would benefit you at all because that is more than likely not where your problem is.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Come to think of it, the slop and clanging sound has been there for at least 15 years before any of the rebuilt transmissions I put in. All the driveline components have been replaced or rebuilt in recent years except the transfer case. Years ago before I started doing my own repairs, a mechanic said it had to be coming from the area of the transfer case. But it now there is a different clunk that seems to have started with the rebuilt transmission

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You cannot rely on a "rebuilt" anything these days. I paid a cousin(a Ford mechanic and his father is a supposed transmission man) to rebuild mine, I'm now hoping it will last until I can rebuild my own, or get some other help.
Hence my credo ;)

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
There could be a couple things going on. Someone suggested that one of the sounds could be coming from the driveshaft slip yoke also....and again this is near the transfer case.

I'm going to the transmission place tomorrow morning to have them test drive it. With the transmission, I am mainly concerned about unrelated symptoms. I will never let a shop rebuild my transmission again. Next time, I have a pre-built one shipped to me and I bolt it in, connect the shifter linkage, sensors....etc.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you have a local shop do it, at least you can go there in person if you have problems. For what it's worth, rebuilt engines/transmissions/transfer cases and axles sometimes do not have a warranty at all unless you have them installed by a shop. So if you do the install at home and get a dud that they messed up...you're out of luck. Read the fine print if you ever go that route.

There are a lot of things that can clunk past the transmission. I had a truck that would clunk around sharp corners and it ended up being worn spider gears and clutches in the limited slip in the rear axle. Both axle shafts could slide laterally about 1/4" and sharp corners made that happen quick enough to make noise. Just using that as an example, don't assume it's a transmission problem just yet.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I can get a 3 year warranty on a ready built transmission. Most of the shops around here only have a 12/12 warranty. Disadvantages to both I guess.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Generally speaking a 12/12 automatic will last 18-24 months

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I can get a 3 year warranty on a ready built transmission. Most of the shops around here only have a 12/12 warranty. Disadvantages to both I guess.
I'm at this point with my wife's truck. A shop that I know is reputable wants just over $4000 to rebuild her 4R55E with a 12 month warranty... I can get a reman from AutoZone for half that with a 3 year warranty. If their fine print allows a guy to install it at home and be covered, it's a heck of a deal. But not all do.

There was a thread recently in the 4 cylinder section about a guy who had major issues with a reman engine and the builder would not have covered their mistakes under warranty if the guy hadn't bought it through his business.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My last rebuilt transmission lasted 8 years. If my transmission broke in less than 2 years. I would file a consumer complaint regardless of the warranty length. I don't pay 3k for a disposable transmission. Next time I can get a rebuilt transmission through my employer with a 3 year warranty and install it myself without voiding the warranty.

My transmission hangs in longer in 1st gear when the engine is cold. So I have to arrive hours earlier to let the engine cool before test driving so they can observe it.
Or leave it overnight, and then come in the next morning to ride with them. Also, it shifts with the typical moderate 'bump' and other times the shift is much lighter for the same load.......inconsistent. The transmission generally runs well. But it could fail just outside the warranty which is running out the 12,000 miles.

Last edited:

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I was not able to reproduce the delayed shifting into 2nd gear yesterday with the transmission shop owner.
I think it needs to sit 8 hours or more. The owner said I can leave my truck overnight on his lot, and then we could test drive it again on another Saturday morning. I'm also planning to get a second opinion too and see if it can be hooked up to my OBD-1 diagnostic connector. I got a free 2nd opinion on my previous trans back in 2015, and they even wrote it on an invoice. I got to move fast on this.

I'll let you guys know what I decide on the transfer case. I'm looking at car-part.com now. Thank you all.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission shop owner took it for another test drive late Friday afternoon (10/27). Sure enough, it got stuck in 1st gear as usual. He agreed this needs to be fixed under warranty. And he is guessing faulty valve body or governor.

He is also concerned about the shuddering and thump from underneath the truck. He is going to check the transmission mount. But other possible causes he mentioned are the other usual suspects related to drive line and suspension. Although he seems open to fixing the transmission under warranty, I'm wondering if he is going to somehow restrict the warranty from the 'thumping' issue.

The thumping and shuddering seems like textbook failing motor mounts. But I don't know. And this will start a separate posting question.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals