• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tonto's Build Thread

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There will be tunage! Just not sure exactly how... Every time I've put a stereo in my Wheeler, it gets jacked.... So, going to come up with an auxiliary source to the speakers. Or, rock a boom box lol!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, does anyone have any sweet transmission crossmembers to show off? I'm stumped. All of my ideas are... Inadequate. Could use some pictorial thought instigation! Thanks!

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Check out my build thread,mine was asimple build that tucks away nicely,i should have inverted the frame mounts to make it all hidden but its not that bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you just have clearance issues with the passenger side header?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, more or less. The drivers side is almost perfect. Struck me kind of odd....

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finish your transmission mount yet?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you get this beast running?!

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have not.... Haven't been able to touch it! My back is getting worse and L&I is giving me the run around... Hard to work on anything with a numb leg and the inability to bend or stand for long periods of time... That and the time loss which equates to severely smaller paychecks.... A buddy wants to come out this weekend and help me with the tranny mount.

How's your rig coming along man?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn that's rough man! Did you end up moving or are you still at the same place? How did you hurt your back?

I actually haven't touched my truck for over a month because I'm waiting on my Strong box to arrive!

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh man! Strong box! Awesome....

I'm still at the same place. As stated my paychecks have become bleak and have been living off the cash set aside for Tonto.... No Bueno.

Blew 3 discs in the lowest part of my back. It's been a long time coming considering the work I do. 86% of injuries at my job are lower back related, mine just happens to be one of the worst yet. All 3 are protruding from the spine and collapsing the canal for the nerves and blood vessels causing sever pain down my left leg and numbing sensations.... To sum it up, it sucks.

Need to move and need to finish this project though it looks like I'll be transplanting it to the better halfs house before it's finishes based on fundage. I've lost over $1000 a month in income so I'm a hurting unit both physically and financially lol! It'll all be better once that SBF cracks off for the first time though!

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK, watches all my buddies load up and head for the hills this weekend.... After much yard work yesterday, I decided to throw down in the garage!

I didn't get a whole lot done, but did what I could. Got my throttle cable all installed, built a half-assed tranny mount (1/4" plate extended off the factory mount about 2") What can I say? I'm on a budget! It will probably work for years, but I won't let it live like that forever.

Also got the fuel lines ran which was easier than I thought with the little adapter things I grabbed from the parts store. Also got radiator hoses taken care of with some ingenuity.... Man is it tight in here!

Felt good to get some work done. All there is left is exhaust, drivelines, tranny dipstick, tcase gasket (won't be fun) a heater box of sorts and ignition wiring. Since I purchased rolls of copper before going broke, I'll start the wiring tomorrow! Maybe.... Lol!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh man you've got some work!

How's your back doing?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Lots of work... You're ahead! Building shafts today.... Pretty stoked! They are gonna be SHORT!

Back is still in shambles but I'm slowly getting better. They say I'll never be able to my job again which is a big bummer...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No I'm definitely not ahead! Glad your back is getting better! What exactly do you do?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I answered you! I swear I did! Must have not posted for some reason.

I do commercial tires in a mobile service truck. Well, I used to. Right now I'm just an office boy.....

Update on the Bronco: Went to fire it off today after I got the ignition wired up and had a bad solenoid..... Bought a new one, put it in and starter would only click.... Then it stopped clicking. Pulled it out and did a bench test..... Dead. New starter! Put new starter in and still just a click.....

Drop inspection plate off tranny and make sure bendix is engaging which it is..... Finangle a socket wrench to the front of the motor and try to turn it.... Nothing. Won't budge.... Angry. Sad. Thoughts of arson running through my mind.... Pull the plugs and still no rotation....

By this time I am frantically searching Google because my running and driving 351 seems to have seized overnight..... Caught an article of a gentleman who had the same issue as I with a 351/C6 combo. As it turned out his torque convertor wasn't in all the way and literally wouldn't allow the motor to turn. Oh, cool...

Do you have any idea how much of a PITA a C6 in a BII is? It is tight. And heavy. And dirty. And heavy. And extremely heavy. So, the tranny I had just filled to the brim with fluid now had to come out along with starter, cooling lines, shift linkage. Oh, and earlier I had made a gasket for the 208 that you can't buy individually and I did not want to do it again.

Long story short, first attempt to drop it with TC still attached to flex plate was timely and worthless. One tranny was free from block about 1/8", you could spin the motor by hand. With that in mind, had a buddy crank the motor with the wrench while I pulled the TC bolts allowing enough room to drop the damn thing.... Sure enough, TC wasn't in all the way..... This was 6 hours on the day I planned to fire her up for the first time in her new home :-(

At least I figured out the issue and now I just have to be a little more patient to Crack her off....

May sure your TC is in all the way people or else a gorgeous Saturday you're supposed to be doing something fun may turn into an ATF soaked shirt, busted knuckles and a sore finger or two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals