• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Pig / Daily Driver Build

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I realized my door pin bushings were wearing out. After looking at the price for new pins and bushings (along with the trouble to put new bushings in) and looking at the cost of new hinges, I decided to go with new hinges. New pins would have been about $10 per hinge and the complete hinges were $15 each for the uppers and $20 each for the lowers.

I got the passenger side done tonight. It really isn't as hard as it looks to be. Removing the door completely and marking where the old hinges where makes it super easy. I also replaced the factory bolts with new M8-1.25 x 35 bolts and washers.

I can tell you that after getting the door lined up and shutting good, the door shuts MUCH firmer and better IMO than it did before. It is a lot stiffer as well. I would say a lot of that has to do with the bushing behind the roller.

I will be doing the driver side either tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My ranger definitely needs these.... once the rest is done!

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I figured that I should put these on before it goes into the paint shop so if I scratch the door or fender installing them it will be fixed. I would rather scratch it now than after the new paint is put down.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got a little rust fixed and covered with POR-15 getting it ready for the body shop on Monday. This stuff is super easy to use. I had some reservations about using it, but it is easy as long as you do the prep like the directions say.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I started the tear down to get the truck ready to go in the body shop on Monday. I am getting both bed wheel arches replaced and the dents fixed. I have a TON of new parts going on including new exterior door handles, emblems, grill, headlight bezels, mirrors, tailgate, and upper stone deflector.

Ready to tear down:

Tear Down Process:

The core support is a little worse than I thought on the bottom portion where the inner fenders bolt to it. I'm going to POR-15 the whole core support and make new panels for the inner fenders to bolt to. I'll do this once I get the truck back.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
She officially went to the body shop yesterday (3/19/12).

Here it is all loaded up and ready to go.

This is what I will be driving while it is in the shop; '89 F-350 4x4 w/ 460, 5 Speed.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Always loved the OBS style trucks, only thing is I would look for an F350 so I wouldn't have to deal with the TTB.

Any plans to put an intercooler on?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have the TTB anymore. I swapped in a Dana 60. Those pictures are a few pages back.

I'm going to put an intercooler on it before it gets put back together once I get it back from the body shop. The shop is painting my intercooler pipes to match the truck.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Man, I love your truck. That's the best-looking truck body style Ford ever made. Tough engines, too.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Man, I love your truck. That's the best-looking truck body style Ford ever made. Tough engines, too.
Thanks!

I will have to argue though, the '73-'79 F-Series body style is the best looking, then followed by the '93-'96(7).

The '96-'97 7.3 Powerstroke's was the best years of the 7.3 production. They featured forged metal rods and anti-drain back HPOP's. The '99-'03 7.3's had powder metal rods that were weak and known to break even under stock power.

Last edited:

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got the truck back from the body shop; man does it look good!

This was the day I got it back and rolled it off the trailer and into the shop to put it back together.

I decided now would be the best time to install an intercooler while the entire front was off. It was a little challenging, but not too bad. Worst part was getting the pipes to fit good. Even though they are the Banks pipe kit for an OBS, they still are tight. The transmission coolers fit behind the grill and the header panel without any problem. I think I am going to move the OEM cooler because where it is now is directly behind the bumper. I don't see how it would get much air where it is mounted.

Ignore the dust in the engine compartment. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet.

The truck does run better with the intercooler. It pulls harder when I get into it now. I have also seen the EGT's be about 200-300* lower than without the intercooler.

Together and on the road again.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
The '96-'97 7.3 Powerstroke's was the best years of the 7.3 production. They featured forged metal rods and anti-drain back HPOP's. The '99-'03 7.3's had powder metal rods that were weak and known to break even under stock power.
Not true. Some had PMRs, yes, but not all. And there have been 650 RWHP trucks built with PMR's. Really not an issue unless you plan on making over 500 RWHP...which is a shit ton for a 7.3.

Regardless, the truck is coming along very nicely, and looks real sharp.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
love that truck, so friggin clean 0_0

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not true. Some had PMRs, yes, but not all. And there have been 650 RWHP trucks built with PMR's. Really not an issue unless you plan on making over 500 RWHP...which is a shit ton for a 7.3.

Regardless, the truck is coming along very nicely, and looks real sharp.
Very few '99+ 7.3's had the forged rods, majority had the powder metal versions.

Thanks.

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, looks really good with the new paint. Nice job!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals