• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Pig / Daily Driver Build

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got my Tru-Cool 47391 transmission cooler installed. Took the truck for a drive and the temps never got above 135* on my Aeroforce Interceptor. The same drive prior to changing the cooler showed the temps around 150*. That is with the ambiant temperature at about 90*.

I like the placement behind the bumper as well. It moves it out about 2.5" from the intercooler. It also free's up a lot of surface area in front of the intercooler that the old cooler occupied. Not only did it move the cooler down, but it also shortened the amount of hose from the radiator cooler to the aux cooler, and back to the hard lines. It also reduced the distance the transmission pump has to pump the fluid up into the old cooler. The inlet and outlet of this cooler is about 3/4" lower than the inlet and out let of the radiator cooler.

This is the old cooler behind the grill.

The install is pretty straight forward.

Remove the bumper and set it on a firm surface so you can drill 4 holes.

Center the cooler on the bumper and mark the holes to be drilled.

For the fittings to make the 90*, get yourself a pair of the Edelmann 822660 from your local auto parts store. It requires special fittings since the cooler is a 3/8" inverted flare fitting on both ends. I got mine from O'Reilly (thanks to Tom S. for helping me source the proper fitting). These have a 3/8" hose fitting on them, but the 5/16" rubber hose will flex enough to fit over them. It is a tight fit. I plan on upgrading to 3/8" Super Duty transmission lines in the near future.

Installed. The fittings are about 1/16" above the lowest part of the bumper. That should be enough to protect them.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a new center console from an Excursion today for $40. It was in perfect shape; it just needed a color change. I am also swapping the rear section out with a buddy who has a crew cab Super Duty. The cup holders stick out way too far for the back see in my truck; nobody rides back there anyway.

Changing it out was VERY easy. The hardest part was drilling the 4 new mounting holes.

The OBS center console.

The new Excursion center console installed. You can see where I installed my switch I use to manually activate the glow plugs if I feel the need for them. I'm going to install a USB plug that is tied to the radio on the other side from the switch.

I like this console a lot better than the OBS center console. The cup holders are higher and bigger in diameter. There is a lot more storage inside it as well.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, but I'd be careful what you store in the lower front compartment so it doesn't accidentally activate the switch, possibly burning out the plugs...

SVT

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing is going in there other than a USB plug that will be inset into the console.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Painted the clip on the lid on the center console. It is much better now than with it all gray.

I also got the rear cup holders color matched and installed. It is actually a lot nicer with them in the rear than I thought. They stick out, but not far enough that if someone had to sit in the middle they couldn't. It is also a lot nicer cup holders than the ones that pop out of the B-pillar trim.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Let me know how you like that BTS valve body after you get it installed. Just picked up a 95 CC with a slushbox and was looking at either that one or John Woods valve body. Truck looks awesome BTW.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Everything I've read said the BTS was a better option. I don't see how they are much different. I'll let you know. It should be here Friday (while I'm at work), so I'll install it on Saturday.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
man, this thing sure is clean. i almost bought an F150 with the same body style a fews back. it was a reg cab though and i want an extended cab. btw, whatever happened to the jeep?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sold the truck today.

Now I'm on the hunt for a CCSB something. I'd rather have a 7.3 Super Duty, but would take a Duramax.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Sold the truck today.

Now I'm on the hunt for a CCSB something. I'd rather have a 7.3 Super Duty, but would take a Duramax.

:shok:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Whaaaaa? wtf man now where am i gonna get all my ideas from

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up this 2001 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax in it a couple weeks back. So far I like it better than my Powerstroke. It rides better and has a lot more power than the PSD.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it clean and drive it.

I'm going to be ordering an AirDog II to help keep the injectors and CP3 live longer than normal. The only other thing is gauges (boost, EGT, Fuel Rail PSI) and MAYBE an EFI Live tuner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals