• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo swap!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
so did you settle on the t-5 or the m5od?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just wonder why I see SO MANY 2.3T engines where someone has painted the engine ford Blue.

Ford Grey or BLACK are the "proper" colors.

AD

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm using the m5od for now. I will upgrade to the T5 later on once i start to increase my hp. I started to work on making my intercooler fit today. I think it is going to work out just about perfect but i cant run A/C. If it was any bigger it would not fit. I should have plenty of pics to show on Sunday because that's the next time i will have to work on it.

I know that grey is the factory color for the 2.3 but I'm putting it into a ranger. I really don't want it to look factory because it's not. I like the look of the ford blue. If was was rebuilding a turbo coupe to be all original then i would paint it grey.

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice work i hope you going to do something about the rear end making it posi would be more fun to drive.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt write the M5OD off right away...they are tough boxes.

try not to side step the clutch too much and i'll bet it'll take just about anything you throw at it.

theres whipple 3.0 guys pushing 250+ hp through M5OD's...and more torque than the 4 banger :icon_thumby:

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would like to make the rear end posi. I'm just worried about hooking up and breaking parts. In the future i would like to use a ford 8.8 and the T5.

I'm glad to here that the m5od is a pretty good tranny. I plan on using it for a long time as long as it does not break. I wont be pushing 250 hp for a while. I'm really not sure what kind of hp it will make? Intercooled, bored 40, motor sports roller cam, and a E6 manifold. With stock boost maybe 190hp but i'm not sure. Once all my wiring is done and i know its running good i want to turn the boost up. Then I'll be making some hp.

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a very clean swap so far, nice work!!!!!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
heh heh.

the turbo coupe was rated for 190hp @ 5500 and 200ft-lbs @ 2500 right off the assembly line :icon_thumby:

im no expert at guessing power from mods, but if i had to i'd say all your engine work is worth at least 15 or more ponies. whats stock boost on these things? around 13 psi? that means at stock pressure your already well on your way to 220 horse. at 18 PSI, you could easly be over 250.

but remember, its torque that kills gear boxes, rear ends, ect...not so much horsepower. while the 2.3 is torquey for a 4 banger, its still a 4 banger.

sounds like its gonna be a blast though. 220 horse is exactly what the original taurus SHO was rated at :3gears:

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I hope it's around 220 hp with stock boost. It should run pretty good. Well I got the trany put in today. Now it's time to start wiring. I also need to change fuel lines and maybe my fuel rail. It's rubbing my master cylinder. I decided today that I'm going to use a 87 or 88 turbo coupe computer i just need to find one that's not to much money.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well I dont have school tonight so i'm heading to pull-a-part to get fuel lines and a different fuel rail! I should have some updated pics in the next couple of days.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I just wonder why I see SO MANY 2.3T engines where someone has painted the engine ford Blue.

Ford Grey or BLACK are the "proper" colors.

AD
Mine is black:D

Looks really good, I love the 2.3Turbo, I like your valve cover a lot, like a lot, I was going to suggest you invest in a front mount charge cooler, but you beat me to it:icon_cheers:

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
This is why i need a new fuel rail. The regulator hooks up in the back of the one out of the t-bird and it is hitting my brake booster. I'm going to the junk yard today to pull a rail and lines out of a 2.3 ranger.

Here is the intercooler just sitting in the truck. I still need to do some work to make it have a little more clearance.

The truck is at least back together for the most part.

Last edited:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I love that valve cover. Looks really sharp. Like jewelery for your engine. I like the way the blue looks. Where did you get the rubber elbow that goes from the turbo to the throttle body? I'm doing my swap right now too and I need that elbow.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! That elbow was on the car when i bought it. It's not in good shape but I'm not going to use it because I'm going to run a intercooler. I found the same style valve cover today at the junk yard. I might go back and get it just to paint and sell it.

Well i found a fuel rail that will work in my truck. I got very luck today. I was in the junk yard looking for one and i realized that a rail off of a 2.3 ranger did not have the extra regulator. I went ahead and pulled the lines that i needed and as i was walking out i ran into a 2.3 turbo motor that was just sitting in the yard. The fuel rail was perfect.

The one on the right is the new rail and the one on the left was the one that was rubbing my brake booster. The new rail also uses the spring type fuel lines just like the rangers. The old one did not. So with the 2.3 lines i bought today everything will plug right in.

As you can see no more rubbing.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals