• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Update on limited slip and posi differentials

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Not long ago I posted an article asking what is the best limited slip differential for a Ranger?

I went with the most popular recommendation, the Torsen, a brand new one installed on my 8.8 4/10 read axle. What a joy! We've had only 5" inches of snow since then, but it's enough to know. how it works There is no real learning curve involved. It's taken to the road like a champ, giving me a straight line launch with greatly improved traction. Sideways motion can occur if I really tromp down, but only if I'm going out of my way to cause it. For the most part it tracks straight even if both wheels break loose. I'm not sure if the other options would have offered more transparent behavior. I rather doubt it.

I have always resorted to using sand and gravel in the back end, 240 lbs, to be exact. It's a simple fix, It's not really transparent. The wheels grab but under certain situations, the back end can be very hard to control should it break loose. Now I don't need the weight at all. I may still throw a little in the back when the snow really starts to fly. It's now an option, not a necessity.

For what it's worth, I'm pleased. And thanks!

Last edited:

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice, I got those same results with a lock right locker.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm glad you're happy with the Torsen.

To me... this reads more like a product review then a technical article submission.

That said... I'm moving this to the axle component product review forum.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, I got those same results with a lock right locker.
I'm willing to bet that just about anything is better than open wheel drive on a pickup truck. I'm sure too, that your locker is just fine.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
torsen is much better then a clutch ls..... same as a tru trac.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I'm willing to bet that just about anything is better than open wheel drive on a pickup truck. I'm sure too, that your locker is just fine.

after having selectable lockers i would not say that with a 4x4. open can be much more stable in slippery conditions. especially with real snow tires.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
so what did the total cost come out to for you to have that installed?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
so what did the total cost come out to for you to have that installed?
$2,400.00. The Torsen, brand new, cost about $900.00. After looking around at junkyard options, I concluded that;s what I wanted. It sounds expensive, I know. but then again I have no car payments. That leaves me with plenty of money for upgrades.

The mechanic who installed it told me that he thought I must have been crazy to spend that much money on an old truck. He continued to tell me that he quickly changed his mind when he saw it. It's been restored all the way around. The top has been repainted as well as the bottom. He asked me, "How much do you want for it?"

I think he was just kidding.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
after having selectable lockers i would not say that with a 4x4. open can be much more stable in slippery conditions. especially with real snow tires.
I wish I had a 4X4 Ranger. I looked for a very long time before I finally gave up. There are certainly a lot of 4x4 models still out on the road, but not many up for sale, not unless they are just plain worn out. No doubt people love them and don't want to sell.

So I got a nice old one with an open differential. It was cheap. I decided to spend a few bucks to improve it. It has been a great investment, easy to fix, and worth the while.

I have owned 2 jeeps, 4x4s. I loved them.

On the other hand, I drove an open wheel F250 with a 4.0 some time ago at work. Also drove a little open wheel Japanese truck. The little truck was much better than the 250 in the snow and rain, but of course neither handled and pulled like a 4x4.

As you would imagine, limited slips and lockers belong somewhere between open wheel and 4 wheel drive. I know my new old Ranger could have been converted into a locker. I believe that I could have done it myself, for sure with a little help from my friends. It would have saved money too.

I chose the Torsen instead. It is a worthy upgrade, will last a long time, has good manners, gets the job done, and done well. I am grateful to the members who recommended it.

Last edited:

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No thanks, snow tires suck on a 4x4 and so do open differentials. Lockers and MT tires for me, truck will plow through 18" of snow easily.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
No thanks, snow tires suck on a 4x4 and so do open differentials. Lockers and MT tires for me, truck will plow through 18" of snow easily.

most years....i can run 50-90 k miles per year and sometimes in every terrain this country offers...wandering around the Adirondacks one week........spinning down flaming gorge the next....

18 inches of snow is a relative that requires context....

on the road.... that dont mean shit to me....just chain up at that point. if you are locked front and rear in some areas where you are off camber all the time and you are without chains....you are just sliding to the low point. you will be fawked...

of course if i am in my ranger on 42 inch iroks....i just drive down the ditch.....

if i am in a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab 8 foot bed brand new 4x4.....with mud terrains only.....your in the ditch and smashing the fawk out of the truck....

the real side of things is cruising through sleet/slush during an 18 inch snowstorm with 6 inches of soup on the road.....and various ice patches...

i will take open diffs with dedicated snow tires every time with chains at the ready..... i also have a selectable locker.

what happens...is i pull the big mud tire trucks up the lease road because the mud tires are useless in those conditions....especially boggers......

off road they rule.....hard pan with glaze.....no way.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
most years....i can run 50-90 k miles per year and sometimes in every terrain this country offers...wandering around the Adirondacks one week........spinning down flaming gorge the next....

18 inches of snow is a relative that requires context....

on the road.... that dont mean shit to me....just chain up at that point. if you are locked front and rear in some areas where you are off camber all the time and you are without chains....you are just sliding to the low point. you will be fawked...

of course if i am in my ranger on 42 inch iroks....i just drive down the ditch.....

if i am in a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab 8 foot bed brand new 4x4.....with mud terrains only.....your in the ditch and smashing the fawk out of the truck....

the real side of things is cruising through sleet/slush during an 18 inch snowstorm with 6 inches of soup on the road.....and various ice patches...

i will take open diffs with dedicated snow tires every time with chains at the ready..... i also have a selectable locker.

what happens...is i pull the big mud tire trucks up the lease road because the mud tires are useless in those conditions....especially boggers......

off road they rule.....hard pan with glaze.....no way.
Sounds like you just can't drive very well then. I have an F250 with lockers in both axles and 35" mud tires. It does great in the snow, haven't been stuck yet but pulled plenty of people out of the ditch with it. I have owned it for 10 years now, drive every winter with it. If your rear starts spinning and going sideways all you have to do is let off of the gas and push in the clutch, many people can't comprehend common sense driving techniques though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Sounds like you just can't drive very well then. I have an F250 with lockers in both axles and 35" mud tires. It does great in the snow, haven't been stuck yet but pulled plenty of people out of the ditch with it. I have owned it for 10 years now, drive every winter with it. If your rear starts spinning and going sideways all you have to do is let off of the gas and push in the clutch, many people can't comprehend common sense driving techniques though.
Sounds like you have never driven in the mountains. Or any place where you would need skill.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals