• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water in fuel light

jim77144

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I just purchased a 96 Ford ranger as a project truck for me and my son. I've never seen a gas truck with a gas in fuel symbol on the dash but this one has this issue. A friend of mine said it might be bad gas. I've searched everywhere but I can't find anything that is similar to my issue.

We've drained the fuel and changed the fuel filter but the light is still on.

Can anyone tell me what's causing this? Is there a way to reset the light on does it reset once the problem is resolved?

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure what that cluster is out of, but I don't think it's an American Ranger, or at least that part with the oil pressure/volt gauges.

That should be where your check engine light is,

Picture from 96 Ranger Owners Manual.

Capture.JPG

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats strange.

If it wasnt an american truck/cluster wouldnt the speedo be in KM/h?

Hook a code scanner to it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That seems like a feature that would be on a diesel truck. Not sure they were selling diesel Rangers in 96. But I don’t think so. Might be a used cluster from a Mexican truck.

jim77144

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
@2011Supercab that makes sense. I have some check engine codes that are coming up with my scan tool but no check engine light. I was thinking the bulb was out for the check engine light but it could be that someone swapped the cluster and connected the "water in fuel" light to where the check engine light should be. We're finding lots of things on this truck have been "customized" and not in a good way lol.

@rusty ol ranger yes very strange. I did hook a scanner and there are codes. I think the cluster was replaced and that light is in place of the check engine light.

@ericbphoto thata exactly what i was thinking. I've only seen this on diesel and usually relates to the water fuel separater.

Thank you all for the help. I need to change the dash cluster out anyway because some of the gauges are non responsive and some of the bulbs are burnt out.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
15569673170_77206e65ab_b.jpg

I found this.

No mention of a diesel engine. (Or 4.0L)I looked on FB marketplace in mexico for rangers and some had MPH and some had KMH.

Im just curious why it has that light. It wouldnt possibly be from a bit later model FFV ranger would it?

jim77144

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 104997

I found this.

No mention of a diesel engine. (Or 4.0L)I looked on FB marketplace in mexico for rangers and some had MPH and some had KMH.

Im just curious why it has that light. It wouldnt possibly be from a bit later model FFV ranger would it?

That's interesting. Yes its very possible that dash is from something else. I replaced an 02 sensor on this truck and found that one of the previous owners spliced in a gm plug and o2 sensor!! What the heck lol. I had to splice in a new ford o2 connector pigtail in order to use the proper o2 sensor.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's interesting. Yes its very possible that dash is from something else. I replaced an 02 sensor on this truck and found that one of the previous owners spliced in a gm plug and o2 sensor!! What the heck lol. I had to splice in a new ford o2 connector pigtail in order to use the proper o2 sensor.
To my knowledge though that cluster was only used in rangers and explorers. Unless they got tapped to be used in a mail truck or something along those lines

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals