• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weak power steering on my '97 sometimes

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
sometimes the power steering is weak on my '97 (extended cab 4x2), IE hard to steer in parking lots when you're slowing down and the engine is at idle (mainly when it decides to idle at like 500rpm, maybe I should clean the IAC...). If you blip the gas it steers fine with more pressure. I checked the fluid level and it's fine, so does that mean the pump is going out? Would I gain anything by draining the fluid, cleaning the check valve on the side fitting and refilling with new?

Just trying to narrow things down, the dumb thing doesn't make any noise or leak which is nice, but power steering is kinda useless when it doesn't help you steer... :)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weak pump would be my guess but didn't the 4 cylinder trucks have a pressure switch on one of the hoses to compensate for this issue at idle?

My Explorer did this, specifically when cold. I replaced the pump with the Jeep one and the problem went away so I guess in my case it was the pump at fault.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't remember if this one has a switch, I know the '90 does...

I'm leaning toward weak pump, it's not just when the idle is low, pulled into another parking lot tonight and the idle was like 1000 and it was a bit hard to steer, little bump of throttle helped... at around 200k miles I think it might be the stock pump so it doesn't owe me anything... :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals