• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
moved it out of the driveway and parked it and the bed full of junk down the road so that people looking at our house did not see the junk and associate it with our house
lol

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Picked up the sideplates for the new grille guard today.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33’
Cleaned off ECM corrosion and reinstalling in my truck along with an OEM IAC valve. Still trying to solve the high idle mystery.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So what is the issue? Just put it in upside down
The issue is this kit mounts the radio in the middle of the kit instead of the top or bottom. I'm going to order another kit that will allow me to install the radio either way as soon as I figure out what speakers I want to buy.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
The issue is this kit mounts the radio in the middle of the kit instead of the top or bottom. I'm going to order another kit that will allow me to install the radio either way as soon as I figure out what speakers I want to buy.
I was joking, you said the top rail and the bottom rail were opposite, so I was joking. You should put the radio in upside down to solve the problem.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
moved it out of the driveway and parked it and the bed full of junk down the road so that people looking at our house did not see the junk and associate it with our house
lol

AJ
I’ve said before when I was injured and then sick, and delirious from both, I accumulated all kinds of junk in my yard. Some of it became the Missing Linc, and some of it became the Road Ranger, and a couple other projects, but amazingly, a lot of it is still junk!

So you inspired me. I had a half dozen 6 foot long deck panels (the corrugated panels you use to pour a concrete floor) and I came to the realization I’m probably never going to use them for any of my insane projects. It took every bit of strength I had to cross in front of the shed of miracles and put them in the back of the truck to take them over the scrapyard. Lincoln came along for moral support.

Then I realized “there is gold in them thar hills!!!!” Look at this:

IMG_1386.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg

Actually, the interesting part is I found out what the Missing Linc weighs. Going in:

IMG_1383.jpeg

Coming out:

IMG_1385.jpeg

Dropped 80# of steel. If you subtract 270 for me and 17 for Lincoln, The Missing Linc weighs 3,293 with a half tank of gas.

Woo hoo.

EDIT: I can’t find anywhere what the weight should be: 87 2.9 4WD short short stick

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's alive!

:yahoo::headbang::yahoo::headbang:

Haven't been posting updates every day, but have been steadily doing a little along int he afternoons for the last three weeks and weekends. Saturday was spentgetting most of the acessory drive reassembled and the upper intake in place. Sunday we fought with getting the cat pipes back in with hopes of getting started on a temporary or good enough exhaust, that was a bust. Cat pipes went in, but quickly determined that the rest was best left to professionals with a lift and a tubing bender. Instead got the rest of the cooling system installed.

Monday we buttoned up a lot of the little things around the engine. Then after getting home I finished making my jumper harness between the Ranger body harness and Explorer start/charge harness. That connector is reversed between the Explorer and Ranger, so both sides had female connectors, but pinout is exactly the same for what maters. Didn't really want to cut into either major harness to swap ends. I stopped by the new pick-n-pull and grabbed two male conectors from wrecked Rangers, spliced them together, and split out the wires for the AC prerssure switch up near the core support.

Today we added fluids, swapped throttle cable, then trouble shot some bad connections. Turns out I never tightened the MEGA fuse nuts, kind of hard for anything to work when there's no connection.

:damnit1:

After that was figured out we spun the engin over for a while to prime the oil system. Installed plugs and wires. Need to tidy that up, but it'll do for now. Then had to wait for a Forscan license, just used the free 2 month for this, but will probably buy year when it runs out. If I'd known it was going to take 30 minutes to get the trial key I'd have just bought it. Plugged in the laptop, ran the PATS service to initialize the module. Still didn't want to start, but a few times it acted like it wanted to. Started playing with the throttle while cranking and evenmtually it fired for the first time with the V8. Started it two more times but had to hold the throttle open for both and was running a little rough for all three. Thought that's good enough for today!

Bit later I went out and started it again because I wanted to know if my AC worked (it seems to) and this time I turned the key and it fired right up and ran smooth IMO

Tomorrow I'll be blind and have to avoid dusty environments for 24 hours, so might be Thursday before much more gets done, unless dad feels like messing with it. He's been helping a little and I think it has been good for him after the chemo, as long as he doesn't over do it. Got to replace Pass FWD O2 sensor, wrong one (year and connector) installed and the right one stripped the threads trying to remove from old pipe. Then we can install tires, get it off stands, add coolant (or water), finish filling transmission, and power steering fluid. Hoping tyhat possibly Friday I can get it to an exhaust shop and maybe have it back at the beginning of next week.

I think I'm almost ready for that V8 swap banner! Still going to wait until I've actually driven it down the road, or at least moved under its own power.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
It's alive!

:yahoo::headbang::yahoo::headbang:

Haven't been posting updates every day, but have been steadily doing a little along int he afternoons for the last three weeks and weekends. Saturday was spentgetting most of the acessory drive reassembled and the upper intake in place. Sunday we fought with getting the cat pipes back in with hopes of getting started on a temporary or good enough exhaust, that was a bust. Cat pipes went in, but quickly determined that the rest was best left to professionals with a lift and a tubing bender. Instead got the rest of the cooling system installed.

Monday we buttoned up a lot of the little things around the engine. Then after getting home I finished making my jumper harness between the Ranger body harness and Explorer start/charge harness. That connector is reversed between the Explorer and Ranger, so both sides had female connectors, but pinout is exactly the same for what maters. Didn't really want to cut into either major harness to swap ends. I stopped by the new pick-n-pull and grabbed two male conectors from wrecked Rangers, spliced them together, and split out the wires for the AC prerssure switch up near the core support.

Today we added fluids, swapped throttle cable, then trouble shot some bad connections. Turns out I never tightened the MEGA fuse nuts, kind of hard for anything to work when there's no connection.

:damnit1:

After that was figured out we spun the engin over for a while to prime the oil system. Installed plugs and wires. Need to tidy that up, but it'll do for now. Then had to wait for a Forscan license, just used the free 2 month for this, but will probably buy year when it runs out. If I'd known it was going to take 30 minutes to get the trial key I'd have just bought it. Plugged in the laptop, ran the PATS service to initialize the module. Still didn't want to start, but a few times it acted like it wanted to. Started playing with the throttle while cranking and evenmtually it fired for the first time with the V8. Started it two more times but had to hold the throttle open for both and was running a little rough for all three. Thought that's good enough for today!

Bit later I went out and started it again because I wanted to know if my AC worked (it seems to) and this time I turned the key and it fired right up and ran smooth IMO

Tomorrow I'll be blind and have to avoid dusty environments for 24 hours, so might be Thursday before much more gets done, unless dad feels like messing with it. He's been helping a little and I think it has been good for him after the chemo, as long as he doesn't over do it. Got to replace Pass FWD O2 sensor, wrong one (year and connector) installed and the right one stripped the threads trying to remove from old pipe. Then we can install tires, get it off stands, add coolant (or water), finish filling transmission, and power steering fluid. Hoping tyhat possibly Friday I can get it to an exhaust shop and maybe have it back at the beginning of next week.

I think I'm almost ready for that V8 swap banner! Still going to wait until I've actually driven it down the road, or at least moved under its own power.
Sounds great! And just to be clear, you made a jumper out of the two male connectors to go between the two female connectors? I’d like to think I think of everything, but I would’ve never thought of that.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes. Cut connectors with about a 10" pigtail from two harnesses. Used solder sleeves to join the three needed wires together with a wire length of about 8" between them. That's still too long, but works fine. Wrapped that with split loom and tape. Then I extended the two wires for the AC high pressure switch up to the radiator support where it is located on the explorer, about 3' of extension. That too was wrapped withsplit loom and tape. Though about taking before I started making it, but didn't remember until it was finished and installed in the truck. I guess I'll have to make it to the 25th so everyone can ooh and aah (or point and laugh).

I can't take all of the credit. I think we both developed the idea independently, but @lil_Blue_Ford beat me to it on the execution. He had the idea and made it first, but I didn't know about it until a later discussion when I was gathering parts to do my swap. Actually that seems to be a common thread for our builds, similar build direction, but the ideas developed independently with him beating me on the execution.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Yes. Cut connectors with about a 10" pigtail from two harnesses. Used solder sleeves to join the three needed wires together with a wire length of about 8" between them. That's still too long, but works fine. Wrapped that with split loom and tape. Then I extended the two wires for the AC high pressure switch up to the radiator support where it is located on the explorer, about 3' of extension. That too was wrapped withsplit loom and tape. Though about taking before I started making it, but didn't remember until it was finished and installed in the truck. I guess I'll have to make it to the 25th so everyone can ooh and aah (or point and laugh).

I can't take all of the credit. I think we both developed the idea independently, but @lil_Blue_Ford beat me to it on the execution. He had the idea and made it first, but I didn't know about it until a later discussion when I was gathering parts to do my swap. Actually that seems to be a common thread for our builds, similar build direction, but the ideas developed independently with him beating me on the execution.
Whole thing is way cool. Closest I’ve ever come to seeing how one was converted.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I ordered a balancer bolt (see my other thread about my annoying front timing cover seal leak) on Amazon on Monday. You know, the one you can’t reuse. It was $5, genuine ford, I figured it would be a good deal and faster than elsewhere......

Nope! This is what showed up yesterday.... with the ford PN label on it from amazon and everything...
IMG_5941.jpeg

Later yesterday I went to the local ford dealer just for giggles, to see if they happened to have the bolt. Lo and behold, they did! $6 and a few minutes later, and I had the RIGHT bolt in my hand. I'm still surprised they had parts for a 20 year old truck, but I can't complain!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I ordered a balancer bolt (see my other thread about my annoying front timing cover seal leak) on Amazon on Monday. You know, the one you can’t reuse. It was $5, genuine ford, I figured it would be a good deal and faster than elsewhere......

Nope! This is what showed up yesterday.... with the ford PN label on it from amazon and everything... View attachment 107735

Later yesterday I went to the local ford dealer just for giggles, to see if they happened to have the bolt. Lo and behold, they did! $6 and a few minutes later, and I had the RIGHT bolt in my hand. I'm still surprised they had parts for a 20 year old truck, but I can't complain!
Good for you. Question, how hard do you have to hold it in your hand to stop the leak?

Seriously, I just bought the multi function switch for my 87. While I was looking, I ran across a couple of those tables that show every vehicle it fits. I was astounded at how many different models over I think more than 20 years use the same switch, Ford Lincoln and Mercury. Sometimes I wonder if they design anything new except the sheet metal (er, I mean plastic).

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Good for you. Question, how hard do you have to hold it in your hand to stop the leak?

Seriously, I just bought the multi function switch for my 87. While I was looking, I ran across a couple of those tables that show every vehicle it fits. I was astounded at how many different models over I think more than 20 years use the same switch, Ford Lincoln and Mercury. Sometimes I wonder if they design anything new except the sheet metal (er, I mean plastic).
I know- as much as I make fun of ford for reusing parts (see the dome light in my truck from the old broncos), it really does make life easy.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know- as much as I make fun of ford for reusing parts (see the dome light in my truck from the old broncos), it really does make life easy.
IIRC the inside door handles for my 68 were still used in one of the E-150 until 2014 at least. They are plastic instead of metal, but look the same. About a 45 year run for the same part.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I’ve said before when I was injured and then sick, and delirious from both, I accumulated all kinds of junk in my yard. Some of it became the Missing Linc, and some of it became the Road Ranger, and a couple other projects, but amazingly, a lot of it is still junk!

So you inspired me. I had a half dozen 6 foot long deck panels (the corrugated panels you use to pour a concrete floor) and I came to the realization I’m probably never going to use them for any of my insane projects. It took every bit of strength I had to cross in front of the shed of miracles and put them in the back of the truck to take them over the scrapyard. Lincoln came along for moral support.

Then I realized “there is gold in them thar hills!!!!” Look at this:

View attachment 107724View attachment 107725

Actually, the interesting part is I found out what the Missing Linc weighs. Going in:

View attachment 107726

Coming out:

View attachment 107727

Dropped 80# of steel. If you subtract 270 for me and 17 for Lincoln, The Missing Linc weighs 3,293 with a half tank of gas.

Woo hoo.

EDIT: I can’t find anywhere what the weight should be: 87 2.9 4WD short short stick
Afterthought. Did you ever do something without thinking about it, and you go on about your business, and then you think about it when you’re falling asleep and you get really scared?

I don’t know what I was thinking when I drove the Missing Linc into the scrapyard. What if they didn’t let me leave with it?!?!?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals