• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Thanks for the info, both of you! Useful to know if I (someday hopefully) do a V8 swap.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
@lil_Blue_Ford and @JoshT

What do you guys mean by AWD? I thought the explorers/rangers only came in 4x4 or 2wd, as a full time AWD system requires a center diff or viscous clutch.
Just that, the 5.0 Explorers and Mountaineers were either 2wd or had a single speed AWD t-case. The AWD case isn’t really good for off-road use, but it works well on the street. Since I lowered my green Ranger, it’s not going to see much more than a dirt road. If I want to play in the dirt, I have my Choptop and F-150 for that. Green Ranger is a straight up street toy for me.

Also, @lil_Blue_Ford, I try to avoid hard launches for the same reason- the trans. Any recommendations for "good" shift kits that will let me ham on it without fear of excessive wear or damage?
I’m not sure it’s a problem for any other transmission but the 4R70 and AOD/AODE. Just a problem I noticed references to in those transmissions because that transmission series was behind 302 engines in police cars and taxis (think crown Vic). So they were subjected to a lot of abnormal abuse and a problem was found. Not that I hammer on it all the time or anything, but it’s a noted problem with the transmission behind the 5.0/302

As for a good shift kit, I’m not really sure what is available for your transmission. The only shift kit I’ve done so far was in my red 92 Ranger and I did the recommended TransGo kit with some other recommended additional parts and it was 1,000x better than a stock A4LD slushbox. That truck despite a working rear limited slip would light up the back tires just by giving it too much gas from a stop. At the time I did the work, there were only two kits offered for that transmission but now I’m hearing there may be another option.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
I am a big believer in pics with posting. I'm a part of multiple forums and I find the folks that care the most use them in their posts. That's not an indictment on anyone here, but it really adds to the enjoyment of being a forum member. There is a saying about what a picture is worth. Sometimes you just have folks that would rather type up the 1000 words. :LOL:

What I finally did TO my Ranger:
- Finished up my pillar pod holder. I'm using a Glowshift Vac/boost gauge on top for the supercharger and testing a dual temp digital on the bottom. I am not loving the temp gauge. Sometimes it bounces wildly +/- 5deg. The top is to a sensor near the grill, and the bottom is the interior temp near the footwell. The night mode is still ridiculously bright too. The Glowshift is perfect.
20240328_170234.jpg

- I got my TRS decal on the window! Looks good! Thanks Jim!
20240328_170211.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I am not really to the point of hooking the winch up yet and the cables were just kind of wrapped around the winch I slipped the winch back off. No idea when but the Ranger is going to be pulling dd duty for a bit while my dd is in the shop. @Mrs. Eighty Five was sitting at a stoplight in Omaha with 85_Ranger4x4jr in the back seat and somebody did not see the Aluminum Falcon sitting there... and took a 2" ball to the grille. AFAIK so far nobody got hurt, sounds like it was a pretty good bump though.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I am a big believer in pics with posting. I'm a part of multiple forums and I find the folks that care the most use them in their posts. That's not an indictment on anyone here, but it really adds to the enjoyment of being a forum member. There is a saying about what a picture is worth. Sometimes you just have folks that would rather type up the 1000 words. :LOL:

What I finally did TO my Ranger:
- Finished up my pillar pod holder. I'm using a Glowshift Vac/boost gauge on top for the supercharger and testing a dual temp digital on the bottom. I am not loving the temp gauge. Sometimes it bounces wildly +/- 5deg. The top is to a sensor near the grill, and the bottom is the interior temp near the footwell. The night mode is still ridiculously bright too. The Glowshift is perfect.
View attachment 108255

- I got my TRS decal on the window! Looks good! Thanks Jim!
View attachment 108256
Do you have the grab handle on your pillar? I want to do this to my ranger for oil press. and water temp, but I have the “oh crap” handle in the way and I don’t know if the glow shift double pod will fit under it…

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have the grab handle on your pillar? I want to do this to my ranger for oil press. and water temp, but I have the “oh crap” handle in the way and I don’t know if the glow shift double pod will fit under it…
I can tell you that the dual pod does not fit with the "oh crap" handle on - I had to remove it to put my dual pod housing on. And, I still mounted it too low. If you put it down too low, it blocks the airflow from the vent on the end of the dash that is supposed to keep the driver's window from fogging up, so you can see the driver's outside mirror. The way I have mine, the airflow is partly blocked and it does not do a good job of keeping the window clear. fyi, I have a boost/vacuum gauge and a air/fuel gauge in mine.

I think there was some GM truck that had a "oh crap" strap that just attached with one screw. I've been looking for one during my jy trips, but have not yet found one. If I find one, I will install it on the one screw location that is still available.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I put the same pod on my truck... I was mindful of the vent but it still isn't big enough to cover both grab handle mounts. I opted for a volt meter and oil pressure. The glowshift gauges match close enough when sitting with key off. When running... the dimmable LED lights are really too bright. But I'm living with it.

1711767445108.png

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I can tell you that the dual pod does not fit with the "oh crap" handle on - I had to remove it to put my dual pod housing on. And, I still mounted it too low. If you put it down too low, it blocks the airflow from the vent on the end of the dash that is supposed to keep the driver's window from fogging up, so you can see the driver's outside mirror. The way I have mine, the airflow is partly blocked and it does not do a good job of keeping the window clear. fyi, I have a boost/vacuum gauge and a air/fuel gauge in mine.

I think there was some GM truck that had a "oh crap" strap that just attached with one screw. I've been looking for one during my jy trips, but have not yet found one. If I find one, I will install it on the one screw location that is still available.
If it helps, I put a few JC bars in all three trucks for sweet pea to get in and out. One overhead and one on the A pillar. My 87, 96 250 and 97 didn’t have them. In the 87:

IMG_8349.jpeg
IMG_8351.jpeg

Obviously these weren’t Ranger grabs from any year. The column was a Ford, and the little one overhead was from a square body Town Car, which coincidentally, fit the Missing Linc theme. They’re just put in with self drilling/self tapping hex heads, which is pretty much the way Ford put them in anyway. I can hang off all of them, and I’m a little bit bigger than sweet pea.

Point being, if you look around the pull a part, you can probably find a handle that works and you can still put the column gauges on. I mean no criticism, but if I had to grab it, I would want more than one screw in it. Might have to drill a couple more holes, but it’s plenty strong to take all of it.

My two cents, hope it helps

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I feel like I'm being targeted here and take offense. :flipoff:

:icon_rofl:

Some of us just ain't good with cameras, besides if I stopped to take pics every 5 minutes I'd never get anything done. Maybe if I were working in my own shop, I'd take a little more time to get some pictures.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I take pics but I don't always post them... combination of when I plug my phone into the computer Winamp wigs out (yes, still use it, it's still a thing...) and my one unit of internets makes things annoying, and I get distracted easy... :) That and I type fast...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Rolled MAB3L over to 80 000KMs today on a quick 8 hour road trip to find some elusive thin tires.

PXL_20240329_214818952.jpg

Got compliments for driving a regular cab, short bed truck by a nice fellow with a late 80s Chevy C/K, with a reg cab and short bed.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm using a Glowshift Vac/boost gauge on top for the supercharger and testing a dual temp digital on the bottom. I am not loving the temp gauge. Sometimes it bounces wildly +/- 5deg.
This fluctuation is normal in most vehicles, which is why the factory temperature gauge is damped to keep the needle in one spot near the middle between C and H at normal running temperatures.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
I'll reply since you asked me on my post, but it's the same as others have said. I don't have that handle anymore. It covers the lower mounting point. It's not a huge deal for me.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
you put it down too low, it blocks the airflow from the vent on the end of the dash that is supposed to keep the driver's window from fogging up, so you can see the driver's outside mirror.
Thankfully, I don't live in an area where window fogging really happens.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Well I went out to see if the Beer Fetcher would start knowing that it has sat for over 3 months. I got exactly what I was expecting, No lights in the cab and no lights with the ignition turned to run so I put the good ole electronic battery charger on it and low and be hold it had some juice... 6.8 volts worth of juice. I left the charger on it set to 2A and went inside for about an hour and a half and went to check on it. Bad Bat... or so the the charger read. I remember a day when a battery charger would actually charge a dead battery, I'm keeping my eyes open for an old charger. I unplugged and plugged it back in again but set to to the BOIL setting (12A) this time and went in for a half hour. When I went back out the charger was still going this time so I adjusted the battery clamps and charger so I could set the hood down knowing it's going to need all night to charge. A few hours later my friend stopped by so while I was out there I lowered it to the 2A trickle charge setting for over night cooking. A slow charge is better than a fast one so that is where I'm at on that.

I did talk to my friend about getting the Beer Fetcher into his shop to get the timing chain and cover done so progress has been made on that front. He has a lift and the shop is in walking distance of an O'Reilly's incase that thing that pops up that wasn't planned for inevitably pops up.

Added coolant to the overflow as it was low also.

I probably should have put the charger on it when I got home but life just had me down and I needed some time to get my head right.

Tomorrow the Beer Fetcher will be back at work getting me them beers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals