• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Do You Hate About Your Ranger???

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Who designed the Gen 1's without door speakers? The ones in the dash suck and there isn't much room for any behind the seat.
Oh just be glad you have speakers. It wasn't uncommon for those trucks to only have the AM/FM radio.

Go get some gen 2 doors or a super cab if you hate it that much.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No hate , just have a major dis-like for the wheel bearing retention, (or my inability ) to make the left side last more than a few months at a time.
Torque that outer nut to 225lb*ft :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No hate , just have a major dis-like for the wheel bearing retention, (or my inability ) to make the left side last more than a few months at a time.
On the Ranger or the Explorer?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I love most things about it...the extended cab is a huge improvement over the standard cab...and the cup holder problem was solved with a shift boot out of a newer style Ranger (I think it was a Gen III)...

Things that I don't like are the vent/defrost selection on the first gen...there is no side window defroster on the older Rangers and in order to clear both your windshield and your side windows you have to keep flipping the switch between panel and defrost...and that silly resistor in the heater controls that always rusts out...

Aside from that, if it was a woman I wouldn't dump her for a younger model because, well, she was my first love...

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
I don't like the miserable fabric seats that treat my dog's fur like it was porcupine quills. The only way I have been able to clean up the cab is to pull out each individual hair with tweezers - takes hours. 5 minutes to clean up the carpet with the shop vac.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh just be glad you have speakers. It wasn't uncommon for those trucks to only have the AM/FM radio.

Go get some gen 2 doors or a super cab if you hate it that much.
That is all mine had, two petrified cardboard speakers half full of dirt and a radio with 5 buttons and two knobs. Now it has a better radio with two more speakers behind the seat. :icon_thumby:

Actually I am having a heck of a time finding different door panels in decent shape that haven't had a hole hacked in them for speakers. :annoyed:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate that i currrently don't own a ranger :( Tried to buy one saturday, drove 2.5 hours one way, had the cash and was ready to drive it home, and the dipshit couldnt find the title!!!!! I even asked if he had it before i agreed to drive that far!!!

DL BOGART

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 V/6
Transmission
Manual
title

I hate that i currrently don't own a ranger :( Tried to buy one saturday, drove 2.5 hours one way, had the cash and was ready to drive it home, and the dipshit couldnt find the title!!!!! I even asked if he had it before i agreed to drive that far!!!
I had a similar experience to that about 8 yrs ago, but I bought it anyways. Then when he sent me the title I had to send it back because he didn't know he needed his bank to release the lein which had been paid off 2 yrs prior. Did I mention he was a high school teacher? No wonder kids are flunking at life...

Five Wheel Drive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford 4x4
Transmission
Manual
the plastic rings in the hubs on 4x4 automatic - at $300
went to warn manual ...

wildfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't really hate anything but do have strong dislikes. My 85 with the 2.8 is a turd that leaks oil but has 200,000 miles on it. No cup holders or door speakers. weak front axles. And finally that all the gen 1 rangers are being hauled to scrap or trail only. I drive mine daily and is a capable trail rig.

jhammel85

And finally that all the gen 1 rangers are being hauled to scrap or trail only. I drive mine daily and is a capable trail rig.
^Thats the truth man...It's getting harder and harder to find decent OEM parts...

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
Yeah!

That it didn't have a cup holder. Do you know how hard it is to drive a clutch with a cold beverage between your legs?

-Jester

EXACTLY! I HATE THAT! God forbid its a cold morning and you have a HOT cup of coffee with you! :sad:

geojag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only things I dislike so far:
Having to pull the motor to drop the oil pan.
Fake gauges for oil pressure and voltage.

This is the second Ranger I have had. I drove the first one ('93) to 250,000 miles, then gave it to my brother. Ran like a champ till he totaled it around 280,000.

The gas mileage is great, I have been getting around 27 mpg on long highway trips. As far as power, it will easily go the speed limit and a little more, and it can pull my boat. Mine also came with cupholders, so no complaint there.

Whitelightning

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate that I have no sure way of knowing if my truck has 118xxx miles or 218xxx. The guy who sold it to me claims that it was 108,000 when I first bought it and did not realize that it did not have the hundred thousand place till later. And also that I am a college student and can not afford a lift and bigger tires right now. They just look so boring stock. I am working on a bumper at school right now though. Should give it some character.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i hate when other people hate my ranger!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals