• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is the widest tire that will fit

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got an 87 ranger that I swapped an explorer 8.8 axle, I'm putting a bed off a 93 splash on it. I've read many of the other questions that have been asked here and 31 inch diameter has been the answer. What I'm wondering is how wide can that 31 inch tire be without rubbing anything? I've laced the original Ranger leaf springs with a set of 4 door explorer springs, it did raise it a little, would the wheel well fit something larger than a 31 inch tire? The bed isn't on the truck yet and the vehicle is 550 miles away from me, otherwise I'd measure it instead of asking.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 31X10.5R15 tires rub a little bit on the elbow of the front sway bar at full lock and thump the rubber splash guard on the right side that covers the gap between the frame and the wheel well.

My guess is that 10" is going to be the max on a 4X4 Ranger unless you start playing with the back space of the rims. Then you could run into rub issues with the wheel arches.

As far as a RWD Ranger, I've never pushed the limits. So I have not good information to give. My guess is that the tires would have to be less than 10" and again, you would have to worry about rubbing the wheel arches if you start kicking the tires out to allow a wider tire to not rub.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The front is the limiting factor, especially with the wheels turned and the something pushing the wheel upwards, like hitting a bump. Getting too wide will rub either the radius arms or fender openings.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Thanks, looks like 285/50/20 is what I want.
You running 20" wheels ? on a Square body Ranger with a Splash bed ? I gotta see this thing

Side Note : Notice how the OP called it a bed off of a "Splash" and NOT a "flare side" bed.
There was a whole discussion on this subject just few weeks ago.

Just sayin'.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Notice how the OP called it a bed off of a "Splash" and NOT a "flare side" bed.
Please don’t start that again.

o_O

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You running 20" wheels ? on a Square body Ranger with a Splash bed ? I gotta see this thing

Side Note : Notice how the OP called it a bed off of a "Splash" and NOT a "flare side" bed.

Just sayin'.
I'm not worthy. Please forgive me. The flare side bed. I'll post pictures when i start working on it. I'm going to use 20 inch explorer wheels, I've got a dana 30 for a solid front axle swap. This is a project I've put off for way too long.

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 31X10.5R15 tires rub a little bit on the elbow of the front sway bar at full lock and thump the rubber splash guard on the right side that covers the gap between the frame and the wheel well.

My guess is that 10" is going to be the max on a 4X4 Ranger unless you start playing with the back space of the rims. Then you could run into rub issues with the wheel arches.

As far as a RWD Ranger, I've never pushed the limits. So I have not good information to give. My guess is that the tires would have to be less than 10" and again, you would have to worry about rubbing the wheel arches if you start kicking the tires out to allow a wider tire to not rub.
Looking at the tire size in your signature, how well do the rear tires fit? The front will not be stock when I'm done so whatever fits the rear, I make fit the front.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape

Just sayin'.
At least he didn’t say “step side”.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've got 10 1/2 wide with a smaller diameter, no problems, no rubs. I'm thinking I could put a wider tire on the back. Some members might advise against this, but why not? Here's what 10 1/2 looks like. Also take a peek at the rear end. My tires are flush with the fender line, made
slightly inside.
20240312_160954 march 2023.jpg

I think that mud flaps are somewhat helpful both front and back.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Looking at the tire size in your signature, how well do the rear tires fit? The front will not be stock when I'm done so whatever fits the rear, I make fit the front.
The rear tires fit fine and I suspect they will be ok on a RWD that sits lower than a 4X4. The rear wheel wells have more latitude since the tires only have to spin in a straight line. Looking at my truck, I think the 10.5 wide tires are going to be the limit with the stock wheels. I believe the back space is 3.75" on them. Being that you are looking at a different wheel, you could go with a deeper backspace and go a little bit wider on the tire. There looks like there is about 3" of more room and still clear the leaf springs.

I want to make sure you understand that this is all based on how these tires are fitting on a 4X4 Ranger that sits higher than a RWD Ranger. Your truck is sitting at least 2.5" lower, stock, than my truck is. Before I put taller axle blocks and heavier springs (thicker pack) on the truck, the tires still fit fine. So, you SHOULD be ok. I haven't worked on a RWD Ranger in a good while to say for 100% that you will be ok but other than the axle blocks, the trucks are essentially the same in the back.

The only way to know for sure is to do a test fit with one tire before you fully commit and are stuck with a set of tires you can't use.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Josh P ,
I mounted 30.5×9.5-15" Firestone all terrain tires on my 1987 4×4 regular cab, long bed Ranger when 100% stock; they had decent clearance in the rear wells but rubbed before full turn in both directions. This prompted me to install a body lift.

I could have ok let it be and lived with the rub but it made me feel dumber everytime I heard and felt it.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Josh P ,
I mounted 30.5×9.5" Firestone all terrain tires on 15" wheels on my 1987 4×4 regular cab, long bed Ranger when 100% stock; they had decent clearance in the rear wells but rubbed before full turn in both directions. This prompted me to install a body lift.

I could have ok let it be and lived with the rub but it made me feel dumber everytime I heard and felt it.
At least you recognized getting dumber... 😁

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals