• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which tool is correct?

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Hey all. I'm posting this here because I need some info regarding the crankshaft timing sprocket/gear and removing it.

I've seen two tools available to do the job, but cannot find the info needed to tell if either tool will fit my engine (Lima 2.3).

The tool numbers are as follows:
1) Tool T74P-6306-A
2) Tool T77F-6306-A
(Note: Both tools are different designs made by Ford OTC/Rotunda.)

The question is: Which tool is proper to remove the crankshaft timing sprocket/gear? For engines that have been around since 1983, this tool is scarcer than hen's teeth.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Neither is need for timing

These are used to remove the crank's belt gear if it was damaged or you wanted to replace the front main seal

This "gear" can usually be removed using a screwdriver carefully to slide it forward, turn crank pry it, turn crank pry it, ect........

If it is stuck and you have to take it off then T74P-6306-A is the correct tool

You can use a puller(two jaws) if you grind jaws down to fit, you can get pullers for under $20 and use those jaws to make ones that fit

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
As Ron noted, they are scarce because they were not bought by even the pro's doing the work on the Lima. The sprocket is not a 'press fit' nor even a real tight fit, though I don't know the name(interference fit?), but should be retained by corrosion from the slow oxidation that takes time even when dry. When in use, it is compressed in place by the pulley bolt torque and that compression friction takes up the load from moving the timing belt.
tom

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
I know neither is needed for the timing job itself.

The problem is, I've seen the T177 tool online for $20, while the T174 tool is, minimum, over $100.

From pics, the 177 looks like it *could do* the job...but with no specs on the gear side of the tool, I can only speculate. And I need the tool because in tearing down my motor, I broke into multiple pieces the aluminum front main seal housing -- trying to remove a 25+ year-old timing gear that was seized to the crankshaft. So now I need that tool to replace the carrier for the front main seal.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Could the bearing press tools at HF do the job? A split-piece that slides in from either side, and can be tightened? I haven't had the treat of removing one in a while.
tom

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Could the bearing press tools at HF do the job? A split-piece that slides in from either side, and can be tightened? I haven't had the treat of removing one in a while.
tom
Probably not enough room for that.

I have limited experience on that engine, but I have a few smaller guillotines and I have a hard time picturing either of them fitting in that spot.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
no room for any tools that I have found, there's like 1/16" or less behind the crank pulley for the timing belt, I know, I had one that stuck pretty good a few years ago... I ended up breaking the front seal housing I think or at least pulling the oil pan and destroying the front seal from the back, it was bad... might have had the crank loose, don't remember...

The front seal housing conveniently has a loop around the timing belt to protect it, you get about 90* of access all pointing up and with a soft aluminum housing to pry against...

Like said, it is supposed to be a loose fit just located with the woodruff key on the crank. Conveniently the pulley is hardened and not really drillable and takes a LOT of time and cut off wheels with a dremel to cut through (did I mention I had a hard time?). but on a running engine this shouldn't be a problem... the engine I was working on had a engine fire at some point and had been sitting in a puddle of water for some time with the crank down and the front crank pulley not installed...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals