• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why doesn't Ford bring diesel Rangers to the US?

Would you buy a Ford Ranger with a diesel engine? (If Yes, pick more than one)

• No

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 52 92.9%
  • + only a four cylinder to get better fuel mileage

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • + only a six or larger to get better power

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • + only if the price isn't more than 10% higher than the gas models

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • + only if the price isn't more than 25% higher than the gas models

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • + only a 4WD model

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • + only a quad-cab

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

red2003xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The Dodge Sprinter is gone, replace by the Mercedes Diesel Van sold by MB dealers.

Sucks for Dodge dealers.

FWIW:My best friend grandparents growing up had pest control that use diesel Rangers as service trucks. I can remember one of the trucks having a replacement bed swapped on it rusted out before the engine gave out.

angerranger54

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i drive a 2.0 turbo diesel ranger every day at work and its GARBAGE!!! my ex wifes dodge neon had more balls than that little pick up. GIVE ME 4.0 OR GIVE ME DEATH.

98Ranger_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The quad cab diesel Ranger takes place of the 1 ton and 3/4 ton pickups in most other countries. Or thats what Ford said. We already have fullsize pickups, we don't "Need" The diesel quad cab, we just want.

Want it a lot, I might add.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
^^ Taken right from Peterson's 4x and offroad :p I read that too lol

Jeremy

keifer1122

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
the reason is our free nation has to many laws and restrictions (emissions) thats why we dont have them. diesels are fine for other countries just not for us. Just like all these mills, steel furnace's,powerplants, they no longer meet emissions here in the US so we sell them to other countries like wtf? make sense though:icon_confused:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the reason is our free nation has to many laws and restrictions (emissions) thats why we dont have them. diesels are fine for other countries just not for us. Just like all these mills, steel furnace's,powerplants, they no longer meet emissions here in the US so we sell them to other countries like wtf? make sense though:icon_confused:
:icon_confused: So you're saying that the emissions laws that diesel engines ALREADY pass are keeping diesel engines from being brought to the US? You do know that the latest Euro emissions requirements are almost identical to US emissions laws, yet they have diesel engines... It's demand that keeps them from bringing them over... Every small diesel any company has brought over has not done well, so no other car maker wants to spend the money to bring theirs over... Americans don't like diesel engine because they are "dirty", "loud" machines that are only good for heavy machinery and big rigs... If you were a big automaker would you spend all that money to bring a small diesel pickup to a country where it MIGHT make up 5-10% of sales? Obviously, most people here on TRS don't want a diesel engine THAT bad... It would be relatively easy to source a brand new diesel engine that was put in the Ranger overseas (International 2.8L) and the tranny and do a swap... Is money the issue? If it is, then if you can't spend the $10K on a new diesel engine swap for your truck, how are you going to spend the $20K+ on a new diesel truck IF they were to bring it over? Demand is the issue... You want other automakers to bring over a small diesel pickup? Go buy a Mahindra (seriously), and when Mahindra sales go through the roof maybe other automakers will see the profit that can be had and start bringing over their smaller diesels... It's all about profit, and currently there isn't a profitable market in the small American diesel pickup line...

Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
have you heard of the mahindra diesel pickup coming out anytime now.

it meets us laws and is going to be offered in only diesel with option of crew cab. it is a compact pickup so it will compete with the ranger. the only reason ford has not offered diesel/crew cab is it would take away from there full size truck sales. if this truck sells well i am expecting that the ranger might be offered in diesel/crew cab option or the ranger being killed off completely.
mahindrana.com

Last edited:

keifer1122

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
from india that will be a good buy...Not

ugly as all hell/goofy. looks like a kia sportage with a bed slapped on it. o yea how many Hp do those air vents get it. can u stand up and drive in that cab.:icon_rofl:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i will be buying one if they come to canada. i personally like them and just because there from india doesn't mean there unreliable. people used to say that about Japanese cars.

ducarngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i will be buying one if they come to canada. i personally like them and just because there from india doesn't mean there unreliable. people used to say that about Japanese cars.

it's so true. when the first toyotas came to the states, people ridiculed them. then, a few years later when the first models started showing up with >100,000 miles on them, people started really taking notice.

what's sad is that toyota's quality has turned to crap -- what's sadder still is that the crappy models are all US built. the japanese- built models are still top notch.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
have you heard of the mahindra diesel pickup coming out anytime now.

it meets us laws and is going to be offered in only diesel with option of crew cab. it is a compact pickup so it will compete with the ranger. the only reason ford has not offered diesel/crew cab is it would take away from there full size truck sales. if this truck sells well i am expecting that the ranger might be offered in diesel/crew cab option or the ranger being killed off completely.
mahindrana.com
its not offered with a manual gear box. 2.2L diesel and a slush box = poor mileage...... the only advantage to the 2.2L 4cyl diesel...... don't believe me ....... drive a golf TDI with an automatic........ 35 mpg ...... the 5 spd gets over 50 mpg.

That being said, I might buy one...... drive it till the warranty ran out and then disable the roll stability, SAS, find a manual gear box (bet a Sidekick gear box would be close) and wheel the hell out of it.

Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i actually inquired about coming to Canada and about standard being an option in the future. they said that mahindra was considering to expand to canada and standard was also being looked in to. if they were to come to canada i would drive it till the warranty is up and convert it to wvo.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

ugly as all hell/goofy. looks like a kia sportage with a bed slapped on it. o yea how many Hp do those air vents get it. can u stand up and drive in that cab.:icon_rofl:
And this is exactly the reason we don't have small diesel pickups in the US... Who cares what it looks like as long as it gets the job done? Americans do, and that's why we have all these overly plush, complicated trucks...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

well..... I bet those air vents are used for defrosting the rear window..... much like the ones on king can toyota and datsun pick ups.

EnglishDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
rickcdewitt has a point - This is exactly what happened in th UK. Diesel used to cost less than gas. Once everyone realized the mpg they paid the extra for the vehicle and enjoyed cheaper fuel and better mpg, so the government steadily raised the diesel price and now diesel cars are taxed higher. When I was a kid if you had a diesel, you had it made. But now with the engine technology most cars are getting nearly the same mpg (bare in mind the engines in cars over there are usually less than 1.8 and always 4 bangers).
Speaking of green, a 2.5 4 cylinder diesel probably will be greener than a 4.0 6 petrol??
Whilst gas is cheap, things will remain the same - and here in the U.S gas is cheap even when it was $4!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals