• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with coil spacers leveling kit.

peclarkjr@msn.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys,
I have a 91 Ford Ranger 4x4, 5spd, with the 4.0L. I just bought 35x12.50 BFG MTs. The truck currently has about 7 inches lift. A 3" BL and supposedly a 4 inch suspension lift. The rear suspension lift is just a 4 inch block under my leaf spring sitting on my axle. The front was replaced with an F-150 coil. I bought this truck last month so Im not sure how much lift F-150 coil springs actually give.

I want to get a level kit or really just a coil spacer about 2 inches for the front coil. My question is this. Since it is an F-150 coil do I get a spacer for an F-150 coil or the stock Ranger coil? Seems like to me it would be the F-150 but I have no idea since its probably mounted on stock ranger components.

I noticed Summit Racing has a large supply to choose from and I need to gain at least 2 inches for the 35's.

Another option is hacking and trimming my front fenders. I don't mind doing that with this truck because the body is pretty messy already and I'm using it for hunting and off road only on weekends. Are there any examples of how to creatively trim a fender?

I will up update with pictures.

Thanks!

Paul

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It will probably depend on whether your truck has F-150 coil spring seats or stock or stock/modified seats which spacer you need.

The stock seats I recall are ~3.25" diameter around the base, the F-150 seats are larger (3.75" or 4" maybe).

Be aware you can only raise it a certain amount higher before you will then have to drop the axle pivots down lower to be able to align the camber. A good way to tell how far you can go is to measure where the center of the axle beam pivots are in relation to the center of your wheel hubs. In a majority of cases you can have the axle beam pivots be 3" above the height of the wheel hubs and still be able to align it using higher-offset camber/caster bushings.

As for trimming fenders, I used a fine-tooth blade on a Sawzall to trim mine (32 TPI, iirc). I used masking tape to create a line for cutting, and just followed along that. Covering the edge are Pacer "Flexy Flares" (surface-mount type). Should be a few pics of the fenders on my BII page (see link in sig).

peclarkjr@msn.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice Bronco! I will send I do have one more question. I was told by another Ranger owner that has a similar setup that I might need adjustable ball joint cams. I'm assuming this will allow for adjustments to keep it with in the tolerance you were suggesting?

The Toyota I lifted was easy...I just threw a Revtek in there and it worked. For the Ranger there seems to be so many more options and any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thanks!

Yeah he was probably referring to the eccentric caster/camber bushings that go around the upper ball joint studs. These are where you make your camber & caster adjustments.

I've always preferred the two-piece concentric bushings over the factory fixed-degree type (Ingalls #59400, Spicer/Raybestos #6122025, Moog #80109). These allow you to make a full range of adjustments without having to replace the bushings each time a different degree of offset is needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals