• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing motor and aligning it with transmission

accarmonaa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i pulled the motor out to rebuild it and now im installing the motor the transmission is still bolted to the crossmember and drive shaft what is the easiest way to get the two to line up sp i can bolt them together

1986 ford ranger 2.3 fi manual 5 speed

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
pull trans and line them up outside of truck. then install them both....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been a long while [~35 years] since I've installed just an engine. There is a lot of pushing and swearing and pulling and swearing, and did I mention swearing.... I've never done an inline.
Maybe pull off the motor mounts temporarily so you have a straight shot at mating the two. Having an adjustable sling will be helpful, it allows you to change the angle of the engine as it is going in. More than one person helps.
If you can't get it, then the above suggestion has merit.
Good luck,

Richard

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't think there's enough room to pull the engine and tranny together even though people say to... it doesn't make sense to me as it's not that bad... 2.3L's are long...

Anyway, I've done mine a couple times by myself and it isn't all that bad, stick a ratchet strap over both frame rails and under the front of the transmission, use this to get the tranny up most of the way. Now lower the engine in most of the way until things start getting close, get the input shaft of the tranny lined up with the pilot bearing of the engine and muscle them around until you get them close to see if you can get the alignment pins to go where they are supposed to be. if that doesn't work put one bolt in on each side of the engine to pull them together, be as even as you can and it should work out. If manual transmission after you get the input shaft in the clutch you will probably have to turn either the engine, the transmission, or the input shaft (put it in 4th gear and turn the driveshaft). Like mentioned, it involves swearing, but it's very doable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals