• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ratdude747

Front rotors: replace or not replace when replacing bearings?

I seem to have developed some wheel bearing noise at 45-60mph. It's gotten worse over time... it started acting up on a 2500 mile trek to Colorado back in July; the most recent drive with it, it was pretty loud. When it was aligned last fall, I was told the front bearings were a hair loose, and...
  2. ratdude747

Low Oil Pressure at HOT idle... use heavier oil?

While driving my Ranger on a 2500 round trip to Colorado and back, after a lot of driving (engine hot, but not overheating!) my oil pressure was dropping off at idle to the point of tripping the check gauge light (note- I have a modified gauge and sending unit per the tech article I wrote years...
  3. ratdude747

How best to fix frame rust at shock mount (and how to remove rubber bump stops?)

While working on removing the LH axle bump stop (to remove the brake hose bracket, which I need to free a stuck old hose from), I think I found penatrating rust in my frame by the shock mount: The mount itself has the same issue... full of rust flakes and dirt (why it rusted so bad?): The...
  4. ratdude747

10" Drum Upgrade worth it?

Made an oops with ordering brake parts. Had a wheel cylinder blow up... and considering that I haven't serviced the rear brakes since I bought the truck about 4 years ago, figured I might as well give it the works. Since I have a 1995 4.0, assumed that since I had the standard (for the 4.0)...
  5. ratdude747

For Sale Taurus 2-speed fan and accessories

I have a Taurus 2 speed fan and accessories for sale/trade. Didn't work out due to my truck having a 2.25" radiator (not the thinner 1" radiator that some other rangers had instead). The fan was a thrift store find years ago. Bench tested to be good, is an OEM Motorcraft fan. The original...
  6. ratdude747

Fuel Injectors Stuck in lower intake (SOLVED)

Having a bit of a conundrum while replacing my fuel rail gasket. When I pulled the fuel rail, the injectors stayed in the lower intake. I've blown all the debris out of there (I did plug the intake runners first!) and soaked a couple of the bores in WD 40 to no avail. The injectors spin really...
  7. ratdude747

Electric Fan Swap Questions

A couple years ago I scored a 2-speed Taurus fan for virtually free (Goodwill, of all places, $2.50), and now that I've finally gotten to upgrading the alternator (130A), I'm looking at working on the swap. I'm mainly going for fuel economy, but any power/torque gains are icing on the cake. I'm...
  8. ratdude747

[FIXED] 130A 3G Alternator locks up/binds under load

Had the stock 95A alternator in my 1995 Ranger blow up on me last week. Since then, I was able to return the exising unit (Duralast reman) and get a warranty refund (they honored the lifetime warranty, despite me buying it back in 11/2015. Yay AZ... too bad they don't seems to stock the right...
  9. ratdude747

Wanted 3rd Gen Driver's Seat Base

Busted the recline lever shaft on my driver's seat (not just the lever handle itself). The seat base is off a 2000 Ranger (with a 2003 seatback frame), but anything with the plastic recline lever out the side will work. I'll be moving over my cushions and the like, so trashed upholstery is OK...
  10. ratdude747

95 4.0 Intermittent Cylinder 4 Misfire

Been fighting an intermittent misfire on cylinder 4. Usually happens right after startup when cold, but I have had it start doing it when warm. Always under load, pretty much never at idle. The only code I'm getting is for cylinder 4 misfire. I pulled the spark plug. The gap was excessive but...
  11. ratdude747

Upper Intake Gasket Set?

Troubleshooting a misfire on my 1995 Ranger (#4, happens under load). Due to another issue (running very lean on lukewarm starts) I pulled the upper intake to see if any of the upper intake gaskets are causing either issue... and upper intake gaskets are hard and flattened. The EGR pipe gasket...
  12. ratdude747

Bought Me an '84 F150...

As a project I picked up a 1984 F150 XL for peanuts. Out of respect for the PO I'm not posting what I paid (not much, I'll say that) Since I'm at work and lazy at moment, I'll drop a link to my public post on it with pics and info here: Look like a fun project? BTW this isn't a replacement...
  13. ratdude747

How to pull 4WABS Codes on 1995+?

I'm having issues pulling codes on my 1995 Ranger's 4WABS system. I found a guide saying to ground the light blue/white wire to get flash codes at the instrument cluster light... but it was written for OBD1 4WABS. The same color wire goes to the 4WABS diganostic connection to the controller...
  14. ratdude747

I-Beam to Radius arm Bolt size/length

This weekend I will be attempting to replace the radius arms on my 1995 RWD (the bushings are failing and one arm has a rust hole). Based on past experience, I imagine that the long bolts that go through the beam, arm, and spring retainer (with 2 nuts) will be rusted away and may need to cut off...
  15. ratdude747

Rear Stabilizer bar bolts seized

While doing spring maintenance on my 1995 RWD, I noted that both bolts connecting the rear stabilizer bar to the links (JY unit and new links I installed a couple years ago) were loose... and the nuts are seized on. I've tried using two breaker bars, an impact and a breaker bar, and both with...
  16. ratdude747

1995 4r55e intermittent slip/shudder when unlocking TC

See title for year and model. Lately, once the truck is warmed up and on the highway, sometimes at medium throttle I get a bit of a shudder/slip when the TC is unlocked. Almost as if the TC is re-locking up... It doesn't do it all the time, and once I give enough gas to disengage OD (or...
  17. ratdude747

1995 RWD has stiff steering after balljoint job

Finally got around to swapping the ball joints on my 1995 RWD Ranger. After installation the knuckles are stiff and I have a lot of steering memory. The ball joints are Mevotech's from rock auto. I did grease them (and the 4 tie rod/pitman arm joints) after tightening everything. On each...
  18. ratdude747

AC leak question

Question: My 1995 has a major AC leak, and I haven't had time to find the leak. I smelled refrigerant in the vents after recharging it last... would that point to a bad evaporator? (If so, I have a very new one in a parts truck, lucky me). Just asking before I go to the trouble of pulling it...
  19. ratdude747

Kit Bodies for Ranger Chassis

Question: I have a wrecked 1995 Ford Ranger with a solid frame and drivetrain. I haven't been able to sell it as a parts truck and while I've moved most things of value over to my other 1995 Ranger, I'm wondering if there would be merit in putting a different body on it? It's a 1995 2WD long...
  20. ratdude747

Fuel Mileage question

It seems like my fuel mileage in my current 1995 ranger is a bit underwhelming. I've been doing good to get 16 or 17 on the highway, and 12-14 in town. I was getting 16 in town and 17-19 on the highway in my old 1995 ranger. Here's a comparison between the two: Common: -15" Explorer Alloys...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad