• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 ranger first pick-up project

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like that cheap HF jack, it has a kind of cradle to it, anything more you can use wood blocks in there, the transfer case especially. I use a 4x4 block under one side of it to send it on home with no strains

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
When I had to drop my transmission, both sides of the exhaust had to be removed along with the transmission support, transfer case, and both driveshafts.
yep unfortunately that's alot of work for something that should be somewhat straight forward. for the jack I'll go check out some of the stores and also buy some jack stands cause last week was a fun time with a forklift. don't worry I added a bottle jack and a couple of big blocks of wood under the wheels and frame incase the lift had a leak (it doesn't)
IMG_20230708_111731242.jpg

It's the stuff that snaps off...or is too rotten to fit anything on except a torch or sawzall that delays the game the most.
or the lack of space to fix the thing that is broken... the treads for one of the bolt on the starter stripped and I had no space at all to drill, tap and put an helicoil in it... :cry: gonna have to wait even more. I also got working on my big washers but of course the storm we had yesterday broke some of the electrical at work and the lathe I can use didn't work so yeah fun times

for what I did today, I changed the locks so now I can open both sides with the same key and it is mint for sure. I also changed the head lights for LED I bought on prime day for like 80$(CAD) and honestly wasn't expecting much style wise but it looks kinda nice and visibility will be determined at a later date due to still having day light haha Will for sure have to change all the lights to LED and and clear or smoke plastic housings
IMG_20230715_153936609.jpg

I also noticed the other day that the roof on the inside was damp wet.. so I hope the cap wasn't just drilled into the roof and boom done no sealant no nothing. feels like one step forward 2 step backward...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would prefer jacks and jack stands to the lift, too many things can go wrong with that

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would prefer jacks and jack stands to the lift, too many things can go wrong with that
Nothing went wrong when I used it. But even then I safetied as best I could with what I had. I'll get a couple of jack stands in hopes it wont get stolen if I jack up and leave it like that for the week end.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
why does it need to be on jack stands with you gone

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
why does it need to be on jack stands with you gone
just in case I don't have time to put the trans back in the same day and save time/assle on the next day

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where I live is rather remote in ways that most don't have. Even in Nashville I was a hundred yards off a 2 lane blacktop country road and past an old barn that most didn't have a clue. I still picked up my tools and such most times, unless maybe it was all burrowed deeply underneath.

I never had much worries about people wandering randomly by, and I hope you don't have to either, but at least be aware it's not always impossible for someone to happen by and do something stupit

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I never had much worries about people wandering randomly by, and I hope you don't have to either, but at least be aware it's not always impossible for someone to happen by and do something stupit
well where I live is pretty good wouldn't be too scared to leave it jacked up for a couple of days since I live 5/10 mins(walk) away of a police station, but currently it's at my work place (industrial-ish) and kinda sketch area with lots of what would seem like stolen cars(no plates and usually not bad looking. the building have cameras but still, kinda having second thoughts tbh haha

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would want to have that at home to work on it, not sure why just prefer to have it that way

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would want to have that at home to work on it, not sure why just prefer to have it that way
I would prefer that too but having 2 old non running wests on the backyard and the drive way there is only a spot left for the only running car that I would rather not take lol, when I'll be able to take it whenever I for sure will bring it back home to work on it more

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck and best wishes with it man, keep us up to date :)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago I started searching for a car or truck and I came across a few that caught my attention but not as much as this 1988 Ford Ranger XLT View attachment 93337
Being in Canada it's impossible to find a truck or any used car in such a good shape rust wise, usually there would be holes in the Frame or body ...
View attachment 93338
It turns on even though it grinds when you start it, the clutch that is dead and the headers clearly leak nothing that can't be fixed. I just love it, ordered the parts and all got them already but can't work on it yet because of the dumb paperwork (stupid bureaucracy and taxes) I'll be taxed on the price of the evaluation of what it's worth and not the price I bought it from.. :/

It's my first ever vehicle and I hope to keep it till I die 🤞View attachment 93339
A real beauty, well worth a little TLC

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
yep unfortunately that's alot of work for something that should be somewhat straight forward. for the jack I'll go check out some of the stores and also buy some jack stands cause last week was a fun time with a forklift. don't worry I added a bottle jack and a couple of big blocks of wood under the wheels and frame incase the lift had a leak (it doesn't)
View attachment 95159

or the lack of space to fix the thing that is broken... the treads for one of the bolt on the starter stripped and I had no space at all to drill, tap and put an helicoil in it... :cry: gonna have to wait even more. I also got working on my big washers but of course the storm we had yesterday broke some of the electrical at work and the lathe I can use didn't work so yeah fun times

for what I did today, I changed the locks so now I can open both sides with the same key and it is mint for sure. I also changed the head lights for LED I bought on prime day for like 80$(CAD) and honestly wasn't expecting much style wise but it looks kinda nice and visibility will be determined at a later date due to still having day light haha Will for sure have to change all the lights to LED and and clear or smoke plastic housings
View attachment 95160
I also noticed the other day that the roof on the inside was damp wet.. so I hope the cap wasn't just drilled into the roof and boom done no sealant no nothing. feels like one step forward 2 step backward...
Older cars will sometimes rust out around the windshield.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals